CONSOLIDATED STICKY: Contemporary Catholic Music

• Thread starter Thread starter Allen_Rickel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Allen_Rickel

As a new member of the Catholic family, I find that one of the ways in which our Heavenly father touches me most deeply is through music. I–and many others, I hope–would love to hear about your favorite Catholic ( or non-anti-Catholic Christian) musicians, CDs, songs, sheet music, etc.

Just to get things rolling, my current fascination consists of the first three CDs by mercyme (I said I was new, didn’t I?).

So, what about you? 🙂

I am fond of Matt Maher, he has some really good Catholic Christian music, in one song he even uses the word Transubstantation. Rock On!

The Pope’s CD 'Abba Pater,’ it is absolutely wonderful. Some of the world music could’ve been orchastrated a smidge better, but hearing the Pope pray, sing, talk, chant…all of it just inspires me more than anything.

It’s my ‘Airplane ride’ CD 🙂

crimson dragon:
And I thought I’d heard everything…:rolleyes:
If you haven’t heard Catholic rap, you haven’t heard everything 😃
Most of it is quite good.

I LOVE music, but really cant get into Christian themed music as a regular listening thing. I have a fondness for the old gospel stuff… I, John, Swing Low Sweet Chariot… many are protestant but they are uplifting Christian tunes. Elvis Presley has some awesome gospel music… I’d highly recomend that…in fact thats the only time he ever won a grammy was for his faith music… too bad the old boy didnt live it. R.I.P Elvis 😦

Anyway… though Elvis wasnt a Catholic, there is a song he covers that is VERY CATHOLIC and beautiful… The Rosary Song…

Oh Blessed Mother, we pray to thee… thanks for the miracle of your Rosary…only you can hold back your holy sons hand, long enough for the whole world to understand… and so it goes… then it goes into the actual Hail Mary… GREAT SONG! 👍

40.png
cmom:
If you haven’t heard Catholic rap, you haven’t heard everything 😃
Most of it is quite good.
Do you know of some other CDs out there that I can get?

The MassMatics one is great and I am awaiting MC Just’s December solo album.

Kathy Troccoli has an excellent voice. Her songs have contemporary music but lryics that are quite inspirational. She also tours the country as a speaker. In recent years her albums have a little less evangelistising and praise; the presumption is that this will expose her to a wider audience, who will then hear her occasional God-centered songs in concert, or on a previous album. Of course, there’s nothing offensive on her recent albums, it’s just not as obviously Catholic.

troccoli.com/index1.html

I second the vote for Crispin. They have a unique blend of Jazz and Rap. Again, a contemporary sound with God-centered lyrics.

I’m sure that both of these artists have “snuck up” on people who liked the sound, and then began to listen to the pro-life, pro-Jesus, pro-Marian lyrics. Many young-ish converts have been won.

1962Missal said:
***Pange Lingua *** (translation)

Sing, my tongue,
The mystery of the glorious body,
And of the precious Blood,
Shed to save the world,
By the King of the nations,
The fruit of a noble womb.

Given to us, born for us,
From a stainless Virgin,
And having dwelt in the world,
Sowing the seed of the word,
He closed in a wonderful way,
The days of his habitation.

On the night of His last supper,
Reclining with His brothers,
The law having been fully observed
With legal foods,
He gives Himself as food with His
Own hands to the twelve.

The Word in Flesh makes true Bread
His Flesh with a word;
Wine becomes the Blood of Christ,
And if sense is deficient,
To confirm sincere hearts,
Faith alone suffices.

Then let us prostrate and
Venerate so great a Sacrament,
And let the old law yield
To the new rite;
Let faith stand forward to
Supply the defect of the senses.

To the Begetter and the Begotten,
Be praise and jubilation,
Health, honor, and strength,
And blessing too,
And let equal praise be to Him,
Who proceeds from Both.
Amen. Alleluia.

Its grandeur breaks the heart, even in translation.

Contemporary:
John Michael Talbot
Phil Keaggy

👍

And, I love to listen to historical Sacred Choral music;
Hymn for the World 1 & 2, featuring Andrea Bocelli and Cecillia Bartoli. Conductor - Myung-Whun Chung.
Sacred Arias - Andrea Bocelli
Chanticleer - Matins for the Virgin of Guadalupe

And all the great Christian works of the masters:
Mozart - Requim
Bach - Mass in B minor
Handels Messiah

many more - too many to list!! The Church is full of great music! :yup:

I’m probably the different one :tiphat: I enjoy listening to Catholic music in Spanish.
Like Guillermo Vallencia who has Salsa and Merengue styles.
Mario Alberto has Pop and Ballads and Hannany B. who has an amazing voice for singing Ballads.

Your Friend in Christ,
Lola

Although Christian and not specifically Catholic, I love all of Randy Travis’s gospel CDs (I LOVE country) and I also really like Casting Crowns

Faithful 2 Rome:
I LOVE music, but really cant get into Christian themed music as a regular listening thing. I have a fondness for the old gospel stuff… I, John, Swing Low Sweet Chariot… many are protestant but they are uplifting Christian tunes. Elvis Presley has some awesome gospel music… I’d highly recomend that…in fact thats the only time he ever won a grammy was for his faith music… too bad the old boy didnt live it. R.I.P Elvis 😦

Anyway… though Elvis wasnt a Catholic, there is a song he covers that is VERY CATHOLIC and beautiful… The Rosary Song…

Oh Blessed Mother, we pray to thee… thanks for the miracle of your Rosary…only you can hold back your holy sons hand, long enough for the whole world to understand… and so it goes… then it goes into the actual Hail Mary… GREAT SONG! 👍
I have that one by Elvis…It is really quite good. Makes me chuckle though. He goofs up one word in the Hail Mary, but what the heck…he was trying it out in a jam session as a favor to a friend of his who wrote it. Too bad he never recorded it for real. It’s a keeper. I have the whole set of some of his non-published songs.

40.png
Lola:
I’m probably the different one :tiphat: I enjoy listening to Catholic music in Spanish.
Like Guillermo Vallencia who has Salsa and Merengue styles.
Mario Alberto has Pop and Ballads and Hannany B. who has an amazing voice for singing Ballads.

Your Friend in Christ,
Lola
I am Portugese, but one of my favorite artists is Connie Salazar, the album I have is in both English and Spanish. Favorite is “Pescador de Hombres”
Journey Of Faith

Joao

Phil Keaggy is one of my favorite Catholic artists. He sounds a lot like Paul McCartney. Renee Bondi, Tony Melendez (the one who plays guitar with his feet), and Tom Booth are some other good Catholic artists. The Michael O’Brien who made “The Original Sounds of Medjugorje” (not to be confused with the other Christian singer by the same name) has an awesome voice. He sings traditional Catholic songs on the cd mentioned. He has used his talent to answer Our Lady’s call.

As for other Christian musicians, the group New Song is one of my favorites. They have upbeat and encouraging music. “Red Letter Day” reminds us all to put God’s Word in our heart everyday.

Chris Rice is another awesome singer. He reminds me of James Taylor.

Last but not least, I like that Elvis song too. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back