K
KomradeGabriel
Guest
Hello back, hope everyone is doing well. I wanted to bring up a topic that’s been on my mind for a while and wanted to hear people’s take on it as it is affecting my relationship with someone.
I am currently an agnostic but I’ve always been very compassionate and credit religion for shaping my character in positive ways. The people I tend to respect the most are kind and humble and merciful. I tend not feel much respect for bullies, jerks or insensitive people in general (although I do try to avoid hating anyone.) I also tend not to like those who intimidate or frighten others, especially the weak and vulnerable.
Now the person I’m referring to has an almost opposite outlook, where they tend to express disgust for whoever is sensitive or shows any vulnerability. They apparently believe that someone who is hurt by mockery or name-calling has a problem. The same applies to someone who cries (gender notwithstanding). They’ve also expressed disgust for those who “cry bullying” because apparently the bully is not the problem, it’s the fact that the victim is “too weak to take it.” I’ve also seen them express irritation for pregnant women who cannot physically carry as much weight as he can (he eventually helps but is clearly annoyed). If called out on his callousness, he will accuse one of being weak as well, so there is little chance to win an argument.
I must say I feel disgusted by this person’s outlook and feel it’s plain evil. I am very saddened because we used to like each other so much and did share many good times together (before I knew this was his outlook or he knew mine). Is there any way to reason with this person? And if so, what would you say to them?
Thank you all for your perspectives.
I am currently an agnostic but I’ve always been very compassionate and credit religion for shaping my character in positive ways. The people I tend to respect the most are kind and humble and merciful. I tend not feel much respect for bullies, jerks or insensitive people in general (although I do try to avoid hating anyone.) I also tend not to like those who intimidate or frighten others, especially the weak and vulnerable.
Now the person I’m referring to has an almost opposite outlook, where they tend to express disgust for whoever is sensitive or shows any vulnerability. They apparently believe that someone who is hurt by mockery or name-calling has a problem. The same applies to someone who cries (gender notwithstanding). They’ve also expressed disgust for those who “cry bullying” because apparently the bully is not the problem, it’s the fact that the victim is “too weak to take it.” I’ve also seen them express irritation for pregnant women who cannot physically carry as much weight as he can (he eventually helps but is clearly annoyed). If called out on his callousness, he will accuse one of being weak as well, so there is little chance to win an argument.
I must say I feel disgusted by this person’s outlook and feel it’s plain evil. I am very saddened because we used to like each other so much and did share many good times together (before I knew this was his outlook or he knew mine). Is there any way to reason with this person? And if so, what would you say to them?
Thank you all for your perspectives.