Z
ze100
Guest
I am in a difficult situation and would like some advice on how to apply the church’s teaching on contraception in my situation. My situation is the following:
My wife has given birth to 4 children in 6 years, with a fifth pregnancy that ended in miscarriage. We are an extremely fertile couple and it never required more than one time to conceive for all our children. We are also quite young; my wife is 32 so she many more years before menopause arrives.
In addition my wife has spent the last 2 years psychologically traumatized from having so many children in such a short period of time. Se feels panic and severe anxiety when thinking about having another baby, and feels extremely uncomfortable around infants and babies. She continues to visit a psychologist to help her with this, but even to this day she will not discuss having another baby.
Also, pregnancies have been very difficult for my wife. From only a couple of weeks after conception, she would start waking up 5-6 times per night. Throughout the last pregnancy she had to take anti-vomit medicine just to be able to eat in the mornings. Luckily the vomitting ended with the pregnancies, but the repetitive waking at night continues two years after. She also suffered nerve damage in her neck due to the unnatural position while breastfeeding, which has caused her pain for many years.
We informed ourselves about NFP after our third child, but due to our extreme fertility my wife will not consider it an option for us (and I don’t blame her) - since we would probably end up with more children than we can handle. I have proposed that we try and cultivate the virtue of chastity, but since she does not believe that we are commiting a sin when using contraception she refuses to consider it. And since we have had this discussion several times, she is threatening that my position is breaking us apart and she is only with me because of the kids.
It obviously takes two to decide this, and don’t feel I am respecting her if I force my opinion on her. But at the same time in order to keep her happy, I don’t see another way but to surrender my values. Certainly contraception in our case is a lesser sin to divorce??
Apart from praying, any suggestions on how I could sort this out? Am I in mortal sin if I comply with using contraception (ie. condoms) in order keep my wife happy? Is there any situation whereby contraception is not sinful?
My wife has given birth to 4 children in 6 years, with a fifth pregnancy that ended in miscarriage. We are an extremely fertile couple and it never required more than one time to conceive for all our children. We are also quite young; my wife is 32 so she many more years before menopause arrives.
In addition my wife has spent the last 2 years psychologically traumatized from having so many children in such a short period of time. Se feels panic and severe anxiety when thinking about having another baby, and feels extremely uncomfortable around infants and babies. She continues to visit a psychologist to help her with this, but even to this day she will not discuss having another baby.
Also, pregnancies have been very difficult for my wife. From only a couple of weeks after conception, she would start waking up 5-6 times per night. Throughout the last pregnancy she had to take anti-vomit medicine just to be able to eat in the mornings. Luckily the vomitting ended with the pregnancies, but the repetitive waking at night continues two years after. She also suffered nerve damage in her neck due to the unnatural position while breastfeeding, which has caused her pain for many years.
We informed ourselves about NFP after our third child, but due to our extreme fertility my wife will not consider it an option for us (and I don’t blame her) - since we would probably end up with more children than we can handle. I have proposed that we try and cultivate the virtue of chastity, but since she does not believe that we are commiting a sin when using contraception she refuses to consider it. And since we have had this discussion several times, she is threatening that my position is breaking us apart and she is only with me because of the kids.
It obviously takes two to decide this, and don’t feel I am respecting her if I force my opinion on her. But at the same time in order to keep her happy, I don’t see another way but to surrender my values. Certainly contraception in our case is a lesser sin to divorce??
Apart from praying, any suggestions on how I could sort this out? Am I in mortal sin if I comply with using contraception (ie. condoms) in order keep my wife happy? Is there any situation whereby contraception is not sinful?