Cool stuff I got for Christmas ---- what did you get?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lizaanne
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My DH made me a little booklet with coupons for loathed household chores, naps, bubble baths, massages and time to myself. It was the best gift I could have asked for.
Also a few people pitched in with clothing, toys and grocery gift cards for our struggling family. DS had a wonderful Christmas thanks in large part to these kindnesses and DH and I have a fridge full of healthy food. It is a wonderful gift to have my DS in clothes that fit and to see the sparkle in his eyes when he had some new toys to play with Christmas day.
 
The best gift for me this year was that my dad sang with my choir on Christmas Eve.
Then I tossed her the clip with the ring, and at first she didn’t see the ring. When she did, she let out a gasp! We both laughed at how we had each given the other our "old junk, " and how those were the best of all.

Betsy
These truly are the best and most priceless gifts that warm my heart and make me cry to read about them. These are the gifts we remember decades into our lives when all the other brightly packaged and pretty bows fade, and we remember the smiles and the love that came wrapped in simplicity, gratitude, and blessings.

~Liza
 
I got:
A snood from my brother. 😃
A Franciscan Crown and case for it from my parents. 😃
A gift card to the book store from my uncle. 😃
$20 from my aunt and uncle that is going to help get me to Washington to visit my sisters! 😃

And most importantly I got time spent with family and friends and I got Jesus! :love:

JMJ+
~Betsy

Totus tuus Maria!
 
We had a very low-key Christmas, gift-wise, but since the girls are grown, we have kept it fairly simple.

I gave dh a (reasonably priced) Waterman fountain pen (he loves pens, watches and all things electronic). He had recently replaced his iMac computer, so he was already happy. I also gave him a couple new shirts and good looking ties, as he must keep his on-air wardrobe up to date and fresh looking.

Recently, as an early Christmas gift, I got a Hamilton Beach Ecletrics stand mixer; I had never had a stand mixer in 35 years of marriage, and found one at a fabulous price on eBay. I cook and bake a lot, so it has already been used many times. Dh also gave me a luscious red plush robe and slippers from PajamaGram.

Younger daughter and SIL gave me a pretty sweater, and dh a framed photo of him with their sweet Jack Russell shortie, whom he loves to bits. (They are grad students on a very limited budget, but always put thought into their gifts.) Whatevergirl…this daughter also always made home-made cards, or letters, with the most wonderful messages, and they were our most treasured gifts; I still have many of them.

We’ll be seeing older daughter and her sweet husband in DisneyWorld next week, as they are running the marathon, so they will give us our gifts then (I know that they got my husband a first edition of Thomas Merton’s Seven Storey Mountain, which will make him faint with joy, as he is quite the Merton scholar.) They usually get me something wonderful from Ten Thousand Villages, a fair-trade organization which markets products made by people in third world countries.

The very best gift is having each other; we are blessed to have at least half of the kids back here in town.

Happy, healthy and blessed 2010 to everyone.
 
An egg genie.
A CD player.
A puzzle.
A Jubilation Cross from Southern Living.
An Amyrillis plant.
A Christmas charger.
A store and restaurant gift certificate.
Money.
A Snuggie (my Christmas gift to myself)
And the pleasure of spending 4 days with my grandaughters over Christmas–best gift of all (besides Jesus).
 
I got a new kilt – a MacLaren tartan – and a sporran from my wife.
And a CD by a Swedish group from the 60s called Ola and the Janglers.
And a calendar with bible verses
A cool book on Old Time Radio – yes there was a time when radio wasn’t tasteless music and obscene personalities! 🙂

I got a GPS for my wife as well as 2 calendars with Pugs and a DVD set from Germany of the first season of the TV series PSI Factor

But none of these compare to seeing her face when I woke up on Christmas morning and praying with her at 12 noon Mass!

God bless

Tony
 
:extrahappy:I win!! I win!!

My dh gave up chewing tobacco after a 25 year habit. He gave his last tobacco tin for Christmas. We burnt it in our woodstove last night!

He’s on day 5!!! Please pray for perseverence.
 
lizaanne, are you my sister!? I grew up eating breakfast with Tony the Tiger and Woody Woodpecker spoons! (Maybe a couple of others? One had to date from my mother’s childhood – Charlie McCarthy!)

😛
tee
Too funny!!! 😃 I wonder how many of them are still around. I suspect they mostly ended up in the Goodwill pile, or chewed up in garbage disposals or something. I was so surprised to see that she still had the long handled ones, especially the Gerber Baby spoon.

~Liza
 
I am a Nutcracker fan. I’m sure you’ve all seen Nutcrackers of all types, including football fan nutcrackers, animal nutcrackers, movie star nutcrackers, cartoon nutcrackers, etc.

This year, my two grown daughter and son-in-law got together and made me a “Nutcracker Jesus.”

They bought a plain wooden Nutcracker (unpainted) from the craft store. Then they made long brown hair and a beard out of brown yarn, and a white robe with a blue sash (when they were growing up and I told them stories of Jesus, I always drew him with a white robe and blue sash), and sandles on His Feet, and He is carrying a cross.

Isn’t that cool?!
 
My mom took me and my two oldest to see the Christmas Carole in Chicago- It was fantastic. After we rushed to the train station and asked the men who worked there which one was ours they pointed to a train saying you only have a minute!!! We hurried and ended up on the wrong train!!! Had to get off at Clyborn which is a deserted outdoor station where it was very dark and VERY cold. The next train wasnt for two hours my children were frightened. We managed to walk to a Best Buy which was a bit of a trek in the cold and snow (my mom is 75). And we got a cab back to our car in the burbs becuase I didnt think my poor mom could walk back to the train station.
So we had an adventure we will never forget.
Another special thing was getting my mom a digital picture frame. She LOVED it and it was one of the few times I have ever been able to get ther something really special.
 
My mom took me and my two oldest to see the Christmas Carole in Chicago- It was fantastic. After we rushed to the train station and asked the men who worked there which one was ours they pointed to a train saying you only have a minute!!! We hurried and ended up on the wrong train!!! Had to get off at Clyborn which is a deserted outdoor station where it was very dark and VERY cold. The next train wasnt for two hours my children were frightened. We managed to walk to a Best Buy which was a bit of a trek in the cold and snow (my mom is 75). And we got a cab back to our car in the burbs becuase I didnt think my poor mom could walk back to the train station.
So we had an adventure we will never forget.
That is terrifying!!! So glad everyone is ok. Wow - those are the memories life is made of!

~Liza
 
I got books. Medical Dictionaries, Memory joggers and random number facts.

Slightly stunned that everyone had given me books, I went to my Aunt/Uncle’s house for Christmas Breakfast.

Everyone there gave me books.
 
I got Catholicism for dummies from my (agnostic) grandma, and a beautiful rosary from my (atheist) auntie… I’m so happy that both of them are ok with me being religious! I got a lot of books and a few CDs, but the best presents were the rosaries and that book (even if my dad did find it very funny) 🙂 happy new year!
 
My husband gave me a 1962 Daily Missal, so I don’t have to use the little paperback booklet anymore. (We have a Latin Mass at my wonderful parish—yea!)
 
Okay, adding something to this thread…something really ‘‘cool’’ that my sister bought for my husband and me…REAL frankincense and myrrh! I thought that was so thoughtful. You know, this doesn’t smell very good though. :o
 
Okay, adding something to this thread…something really ‘‘cool’’ that my sister bought for my husband and me…REAL frankincense and myrrh! I thought that was so thoughtful. You know, this doesn’t smell very good though. :o
But what about the gold? 😉

~Liza
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top