Cooperation with Grace

• Thread starter Thread starter Michael16
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
One: I’m not sure if you saw my edited post. If you haven’t; please check it out.

Two: I just checked out your profile.

😮 I’m debating a PhD?!

Cool. I’m impressed. PhDs are trained researchers who have to defend their work to a board.

I’m a little bit embarrassed to say; but: All I Have is an American high school diploma. Albeit I’m well read for my educational level.

Tell you what, Oddbird. It’s almost 2 am here in the States; I have to go to bed soon. My boys wake up at 6. I’ll check it out later and get back to you. Fair?

More than fair. I’m not expecting answers or comments on it either, I just thought you might appreciate the perspective 😉

ETA : I find both documents particularly interesting, because the first is a document written and approved both by the Lutheran World Federation and the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, and because the second points what is still lacking to the agreement from a Catholic point of view.

Last edited:
Jesus offered up Himself as a sacrifice. What if this sacrifice simply opened up a door into Heaven, making salvation possible for all those who persevered in working out their salvation on Earth, fighting the good fight of faith?
I think His sacrifice did more than just opening a door to Heaven. In fact, I don’t think the door to Heaven has ever been closed. It is stated in the Scriptures that nothing unclean can enter Heaven (Rev. 21:27) - “but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life”. So He died to take our sins upon Himself and cleanse us. Therefore the Scriptures also say that He is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world (John 1:29). My favorite quote concerning the Gospel was formulated by the Baptist preacher Charles Spurgeon:
He did not die to make men salvable—He died to save them. He did not die that their sin might be put away by some effort of their own—He died to put it away.
By not only making it possible for us to be saved, but by truly saving us through His death, He is also truly our Savior.
Upon which Our Lord says to the soul who did the Father’s Will on Earth: “ Enter, good and faithful servant. “
God is in a sense flattering us, since there is no one good but Himself (Mark 10:18). But what is the Father’s will, according to Christ?
“For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.” (John 6:40)
So we enter Heaven through faith in Christ, by grace rather than deservingly.
Does this make any sense to you, brother Johan?
Yes, I fully understand what you are saying, but I also do not fully agree. 🙂

Hello, brother Johan!

I’ve looked so much forward to your reply! I hope all is well with you and yours.

🤔

Something I’m confused about in your position. How can the door to Heaven never be closed when this occurs:

In the OT Times, the dead went to Sheol. Sheol being the grave; if I understand the concept right.

You’re right with the nothing unclean can enter Heaven verse.

In our understanding, that’s why we have purgatory. If you’re not familiar with it, purgatory is the place below Heaven in which the dead, who died righteous enough to not go to hell but need to be purged of their attachments to sin in order to rise to Heaven.

In our understanding, Jesus broke the power of sin and the devil on Earth with His Death and Resurrection; thus making salvation possible.

In your quote of Charles Spurgeon, I find a point I can hopefully clarify for you: His statement that our sin might not be put away by our own effort.

I agree with him that our sins cannot be put away by our own efforts. What I am saying is that by cooperating with God’s grace by putting in effort on my part, works; to overcome my sins and sinful ways in accordance with God’s efforts to work with me.

As I understand working out your salvation with fear and trembling… is that salvation is an ongoing process in which we work with God to overcome our sinful habits.

As Saint Paul said: It’s doers of the Law that are justified not the hearers. Doing works in cooperation with God’s efforts to save me.

I hope you’re understanding my point. I apologize if I’m rambling. Perhaps I should compose my replies in paper before typing them here. Hahahahaha

As for your quote of good and faithful servant: I’m sure I understand you. How would it be possible for Jesus to flatter? If He said it, it must be truth.

As for what is the Father’s Will?

I understand it to be the Two Great Commandments:

Love the Lord your God with all your mind, heart, soul and strength.

Love others as you would yourself.

In my understanding, Love is effective; not affective. Love is a verb. An action. Thus, a work.

I hope I’ve made some good points and helped you understand us.

Something I’m confused about in your position. How can the door to Heaven never be closed when this occurs:

In the OT Times, the dead went to Sheol. Sheol being the grave; if I understand the concept right.
What I meant is that door has not been closed in the sense that no one could possibly enter Heaven (what about Enoch, Moses, and Elijah?). Conversely, unless you are a universalist, you do not believe that the opened door entails that everyone will enter Heaven.
In our understanding, that’s why we have purgatory. If you’re not familiar with it, purgatory is the place below Heaven in which the dead, who died righteous enough to not go to hell but need to be purged of their attachments to sin in order to rise to Heaven.
And to that I would respond: that’s why we have the cross of Christ. His blood purifies us of all our sin (1 John 1:7). I also find no support in the Scriptures that suffering per se purifies us from sin. It was through the death of Christ that our sin was expiated.
In our understanding, Jesus broke the power of sin and the devil on Earth with His Death and Resurrection; thus making salvation possible.
Yes, and my beliefs go one step further: He did not merely make salvation possible through His death—He died to save His people. This is a point on which Catholicism and Reformed theology are very far from each other because my beliefs entail unconditional election and a denial of an entirely free human will.
I agree with him that our sins cannot be put away by our own efforts. What I am saying is that by cooperating with God’s grace by putting in effort on my part, works; to overcome my sins and sinful ways in accordance with God’s efforts to work with me.
But you apparently believe that your sins are put away by your efforts, albeit in cooperation with God’s grace. I believe that my sins were nailed to the cross of Christ.
As I understand working out your salvation with fear and trembling… is that salvation is an ongoing process in which we work with God to overcome our sinful habits.
Right, but I don’t think that Paul is saying that we are in the process of saving ourselves in cooperation with God’s grace. Ephesians 2:8 makes it clear that our salvation is a finished act (the perfect tense indicates precisely that). What I think that Paul is referring to in Phil. 2:12, preceded by an injunction to have the unselfish mindset of Christ, is that the seedling of salvation has been planted—now it is our responsibility to grow in our salvation (the process many Christians call sanctification).

Last edited:
As Saint Paul said: It’s doers of the Law that are justified not the hearers. Doing works in cooperation with God’s efforts to save me.
Yes, but he also says that no one will be justified through the works of the Law (Rom. 3:20), thereby implying that no one will be considered “good enough” from the perspective of the Law. I think that Paul was attacking the potential self-righteousness of the Jews. It is not enough to possess the Law or listen to the Law—if you actually intend to be justified by the Law you need to keep it.
I hope you’re understanding my point. I apologize if I’m rambling. Perhaps I should compose my replies in paper before typing them here. Hahahahaha
No problems—as a PhD, I’m used to synthesizing a multitude of thoughts. 😉
As for your quote of good and faithful servant: I’m sure I understand you. How would it be possible for Jesus to flatter? If He said it, it must be truth.
He also stated that there is no one good except God, so unless He was contradicting Himself, He is actually flattering us. But the same goes for our justification before God—He justifies the ungodly who trust Him (Rom. 4:5), which means that He declares inherently unrighteous individuals righteous. Catholic apologists call this teaching “legal fiction”, whereas I call it the Gospel. 😉
As for what is the Father’s Will?

I understand it to be the Two Great Commandments:

Love the Lord your God with all your mind, heart, soul and strength.

Love others as you would yourself.

In my understanding, Love is effective; not affective. Love is a verb. An action. Thus, a work.
Love is, of course, an essential quality and God wants us to love one another. By loving one another, we show that we are His children. It is nonetheless the case that in the only instance in the Scriptures where the phrase “my Father’s will” is spelled out (John 6:39-40), it refers to the salvific will of the Father, and in particular His will that we should live by believing in His Son. Those who abide in Him by faith will also love.

no one will be justified through the works of the Law (Rom. 3:20)
Maybe you are talking past each other here.

You are quite right about “works of the Law” but I think the “works that God has prepared” for us, are those that are referred to in the context of the OP.

Last edited:
Maybe you are talking past each other here.

You are quite right about “works of the Law” but I think the “works that God has prepared” for us, are those that are referred to in the context of the OP.
Although misunderstandings frequently happen in discussions like this one, I am pretty sure that Michael16 was referencing Romans 2:13:
For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.
Now, Catholic apologists seem to be keen on using this verse to “show” that it is mandatory to keep the Law in order to be saved. However, in the larger context, Paul is more or less saying the opposite: we will not be justified by the Law, since it will always convict us of sin. In fact, Paul wrote an entire letter (Galatians) to refute the erroneous belief that we have to keep the Law for justification.

Are you talking about the Law of Moses? Or the law of loving God with your whole heart and mind and being, and your neighbor as yourself, as Jesus said.
m pretty sure that Michael16 was referencing Romans 2:13
I searched this thread and found only your post reference Romans 2. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Last edited:
Are you talking about the Law of Moses? Or the law of loving God with your whole heart and mind and being, and your neighbor as yourself, as Jesus said.
Well, that is one and the same Law. The commandment to love God with one’s entire heart, soul, and strength is found in the Torah (Deut. 6:5 to be precise), i.e., the Law given through Moses.
I searched this thread and found only your post reference Romans 2. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Michael16 wrote in a previous post:
As Saint Paul said: It’s doers of the Law that are justified not the hearers.
That is a reference to Romans 2:13.

Last edited:
Is there problem with law of love?
Not really, apart from the fact that there is no separate body of law in the Scriptures called “the law of love”. The Mosaic Law commands love (Lev. 19:18; Deut. 6:5), and so does the Gospel (e.g. John 15:12).

I found where Michael said that about Law. After that he said “Doing works in cooperation with God’s efforts to save me”

That’s what resonated with me rather than the former. Cooperation being the matter of the works God set before us, which we do in obedience.

When I think about Law, it is the one prior to Jesus, before He fulfilled it. Love is the one that unites us with Christ.

This line of discussion has been done over so many times on CAF. Would be interesting to see thread taking up the differences remaining after the Joint Declaration, referenced above. (Take it up where the top guys left off. 😁)

Last edited:
Now, Catholic apologists seem to be keen on using this verse to “show” that it is mandatory to keep the Law in order to be saved.
This just doesn’t ring true the way you state it. I don’t agree that’s what they say. More like that’s what you hear.

So, if I’m understanding you right; Reb is that they’ll cherry pick what supports their position from the ECFs and Sacred Scripture?
That’s what I think they do. The proof is that they will claim that the ECF’s believe in say, Sola Fide. But, have you ever heard of a Sola Fide believer that says that Baptism is efficacious, that the Sacraments are valid, that one needs to confess to a priest, that works are necessary for salvation? No? Yet, all the ECF’s believe all those things and most of them are priests and Bishops who live in accordance with Catholic Teaching.

So, yeah, they cherry pick.

Last edited:
I’ve always understood Saint Paul’s verses concerning justification by faith rather than by the Law as an injunction against legalistic observance of the Law as a means of salvation. Then, Saint Paul goes on to speak of the doers of the Law being justified.

When I consider these verses together, if I take the Sola Fide position; it makes Saint Paul’s teaching contradict itself.

Consider this: If we’re justified by faith alone and the Law only condemns us; why would doing of the Law justify?

How could what condemns us; justifies us in our doing of it?

That wouldn’t make sense. How could Saint Paul take one position and then later take up a contradictory position that is directly antithetical?

Then, Scripture conflicts itself with an antimatter/matter like contention that can never be resolved.

Now, if I take the Catholic position that it’s faith and works together that justifies us before God; an interesting thing happens.

Faith justifies as Saint Paul says and doing of the Law justifies as Saint Paul says. Add to this; Saint James’ verses that state that Faith without works is dead and man is justified by his works and not by faith alone.

If not faith alone, if not works alone; then it stands that it’s both together.

If Saint Paul was teaching against Pharisaical legalism, and he was a Pharisee; in early Romans; then his position would be that ritual adherence to Mosaic Law without the spirit of the Law to back it up doesn’t justify.

That makes sense to me.

Then, consider his verses of which doers of the Law are justified. In my understanding, Saint Paul was teaching that one can’t simply hear the Law and be saved. No. One had to do the Law.

Once these two verses are reconciled together with the understanding that faith justifies, I liken it to “ animating “ the Law; in tandem with doing of the Law, as mere hearing and teaching of the Law don’t amount to anything without doing of the Law; justifies.

The resulting faith and works axis is seen as mutually supporting and irreducible without the other in order to justify us before God.

Consider this: Nowhere am I saying, neither does the Church say or teach this; that man on his own power can be justified before God.

As it was written: That no man may boast.

Grace is required for salvation. Each man faces a choice: Do I do evil or do I do good?

From Scripture and my own personal experience; evil is ridiculously easy and good is hard to do. I liken the problem in this way: On Earth, I struggle to do good and avoid evil in the muck and mire of temptation and evil; often failing. In this image, God’s grace shines down from Heaven and grants me the help I need to stay the course and overcome. In this understanding; none of my works I accomplish on my own without God’s help to get it done.

Thus, we need God’s grace in order to master sin in our lives and work out our salvation, fight the good fight of faith and run the course to victory.

Mastery of sin taken from our Sacrament of Baptism and the last three statements were paraphrases of Saint Paul’s verses.

All quite Biblical.

Then, Scripture all comes together in a consistent whole without conflict.

Last edited:
I’ve always understood Saint Paul’s verses concerning justification by faith rather than by the Law as an injunction against legalistic observance of the Law as a means of salvation. Then, Saint Paul goes on to speak of the doers of the Law being justified.
In my opinion, it goes much deeper than that. The Law was an instrument given to Israel, and the purpose of this instrument was to reveal sin. If anyone would actually be justified rather than condemned by the Law, it would mean that this person is inherently righteous rather than a sinner. But he also reasons that if it actually were possible for mankind to be justified through the Law, the salvific mission of Christ that culminated with the cross was superfluous.
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! (Gal. 2:21)
He further argues that the impossibility of justification through the Law is due to our sinful nature. Rather than justifying us, it reveals our weakness (the limited space does not permit me to extensively quote the Bible, so I will just give the references: Rom. 3:20; 8:3; Gal. 3:10-12). So rather than saying that we have be righteous before the Law in order to be saved, he is saying that there are no shortcuts. The Law is not to be tricked. To possess the Law, or to merely listen to the Law (like the average “Sunday Christian”) will not make you justified - you have to keep it if you are relying on the Law for your justification. So being a Jew, hearing the Law being recited on a regular basis, does not give you an advantage.

Romans 2-3 constitutes a huge and well-crafted argument. In chapter 2 he presents a scenario to which no pious Jew would object: God will judge us according to our works; those who have persistently done good will enter Heaven and those who have done evil will face condemnation. There is nothing distinctively “Christian” about the things he writes in this chapter. However, in chapter 3 he turns everything upside down. All people, Jews and Gentiles alike, are under the power of sin. There is no one who is righteous, there is no one who does good, there is no one seeking God etc. The inevitable conclusion is horrifying: if God would judge us strictly according to our own righteousness (or rather, lack thereof), mankind in toto would face condemnation. Having presented this extremely bleak picture of mankind, he finally guides us toward a way out of this predicament. He has skillfully paved the way for the Gospel.
But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. (Rom. 3:21-24)
This is music to the ears of the sinner plagued by despair: Christ offers me righteousness freely if I only receive His gift by faith!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back