O
Oneofthewomen
Guest
I have always had a problem with allowing myself to be vulnerable. It is something that has been especially hard since I returned to the faith,
because I had always believed that I was in control of everything in my life, not God.
The past couple of years, my life has been transformed by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius.
I work with a spiritual director, who also happens to be my confessor.
During our session yesterday, some things came up that reinforce the fact that I have still not yet really learned how to let go of my need for control,
and that allowing myself to be vulnerable is something that I need a lot more practice at.
I have been thinking about some simple things that I could do that may help me in this area of my life,
and one of the things that came to me tonight is the idea of changing how I receive communion.
I was taught to, and always have, received CITH. For a long time, I never really thought about it, and was glad that I had the option,
because having anyone’s hands near my mouth makes me very uncomfortable (just another reason for me to hate the dentist!
).
One of the things that really bothered me when I first came to CAF
is the argument that CITH is part of what is wrong with the Church today,
and is responsible for the lack of belief in the *“Real Presence”. *
For me, receiving in the hand is very special because for a moment,
I am actually embracing God.
That said, I starting thinking that by moving out of my comfort zone,
and receiving communion on the tongue,
I will, in a small way become more “vulnerable”.
I brought this up with some friends from Church tonight,
and everyone looked at me like I had 3 heads!
Some even suggested that I am becoming “too Catholic”, whatever that means!
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Has anyone here gone from receiving CITH to COTT? Why?
*Please, I do not want this thread to turn into another argument over which is “better”, I am just looking for some thoughts and experiences from people who have who have made the change from CITH to COTT. *
because I had always believed that I was in control of everything in my life, not God.
The past couple of years, my life has been transformed by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius.
I work with a spiritual director, who also happens to be my confessor.
During our session yesterday, some things came up that reinforce the fact that I have still not yet really learned how to let go of my need for control,
and that allowing myself to be vulnerable is something that I need a lot more practice at.
I have been thinking about some simple things that I could do that may help me in this area of my life,
and one of the things that came to me tonight is the idea of changing how I receive communion.
I was taught to, and always have, received CITH. For a long time, I never really thought about it, and was glad that I had the option,
because having anyone’s hands near my mouth makes me very uncomfortable (just another reason for me to hate the dentist!
One of the things that really bothered me when I first came to CAF
is the argument that CITH is part of what is wrong with the Church today,
and is responsible for the lack of belief in the *“Real Presence”. *
For me, receiving in the hand is very special because for a moment,
I am actually embracing God.
That said, I starting thinking that by moving out of my comfort zone,
and receiving communion on the tongue,
I will, in a small way become more “vulnerable”.
I brought this up with some friends from Church tonight,
and everyone looked at me like I had 3 heads!
Some even suggested that I am becoming “too Catholic”, whatever that means!
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Has anyone here gone from receiving CITH to COTT? Why?
*Please, I do not want this thread to turn into another argument over which is “better”, I am just looking for some thoughts and experiences from people who have who have made the change from CITH to COTT. *