Creation, wanting answers from Catholics and NonCatholics

  • Thread starter Thread starter isaacalsop
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
.

Only Fundamentalist require a 6000 year old earth because they use the Bible as their only book…making it a science textbook when it is not anything of the sort.
Just under 6000 years old.

It is not, I believe the Bible over science. God can create the world in one second if He wants to.

It is not, I believe the Bible over science. God can create the world in one second if He wants to.

I cannot believe you are putting a time constraint on God!

Where is this evidence? Nowhere!

Read the Bible!
More evidence that generalizations should not be made.

Yes, the universe and earth is in the billions.
 
More evidence that generalizations should not be made.

Yes, the universe and earth is in the billions.
The difference between the toe though dronald is that I am only aware of fundamentalists whose theology REQUIRES them to hold young earth. Others can passionately hold it or not but their theology does not collapse without it.

If you know another Christian denomination that is not defined as fundamentalist in nature that required a young earth view please let me know.

Thanks!
 
The difference between the toe though dronald is that I am only aware of fundamentalists whose theology REQUIRES them to hold young earth. Others can passionately hold it or not but their theology does not collapse without it.

If you know another Christian denomination that is not defined as fundamentalist in nature that required a young earth view please let me know.

Thanks!
To be honest I don’t know of one Church in my area that calls its self “fundamentalist.” And it is not a requirement of Evangelical Church’s, although it could be in some.
I could see some Church’s teaching YEC as truth, but rarely a requirement to be a member.
 
To be honest I don’t know of one Church in my area that calls its self “fundamentalist.” And it is not a requirement of Evangelical Church’s, although it could be in some.
I could see some Church’s teaching YEC as truth, but rarely a requirement to be a member.
Definitely not a requirement of most evangelical churches, but may be taught. I was part of a fundamentalist school that taught exclusively YEC and made frankly lies about evolutionary theory (evolutionist believe monkeys turn directly into humans and claim to have them in labs…produce them they said). Crazy stuff like that.

There are Fundamentalist by name churches in my area. It is a requirement to be a member there to hold YEC.

Here is one example. Note the biblical literalism requirement.

fellowshipoffundamentalbiblechurches.wordpress.com/about-the-ffbc/ffbc-distinctivess/
 
Slight correction. At one time the entire world thought
the earth flat-Catholic Church was no exception.
They have known since at least the time of Herodotus that the earth was not flat. And no the Catholic Church has never believed the earth is flat.
 
Definitely not a requirement of most evangelical churches, but may be taught. I was part of a fundamentalist school that taught exclusively YEC and made frankly lies about evolutionary theory (evolutionist believe monkeys turn directly into humans and claim to have them in labs…produce them they said). Crazy stuff like that.

There are Fundamentalist by name churches in my area. It is a requirement to be a member there to hold YEC.

Here is one example. Note the biblical literalism requirement.

fellowshipoffundamentalbiblechurches.wordpress.com/about-the-ffbc/ffbc-distinctivess/
I should really take a trip down south one day, haha.
 
I think I just need to add, that dating rock from an eruption seems like a futile effort. After all the rock was not created in the eruption, just transformed from mantle to crust. Converted from liquid to solid.

Just an observation.

I would love to see evidence for young earth. Maybe dinosaur bones in the same rock layer as a horse or human.

If it happened it would change science. But it hasn’t, we’ve pulled millions of fossils from the earth and not once have we found such evidence.

It seems that’s millions of reasons to believe science is at least on the right track.
In yet that is the very method used to establish the age of the earth.

There are many anomalies to the current proposed timeline, but the important point I am making is that it is far better to not be too dogmatic such as the ones on here who make the assertion of 14 billion and 4.3 billion without any possible uncertainty.

This is not how the Catholic Church treads, and while it has been permitted to suit oneself on these matters, I believe the document said don’t ram it at people who tend to disagree, I also believe that would include don’t belittle by comparing one’s belief to the flat earth nonsense.

Though nice exaggeration of millions my friend, that would almost convince some people? Though if one can exaggerate one number maybe they have no problem exaggerating other numbers too.🙂
 
In yet that is the very method used to establish the age of the earth.

There are many anomalies to the current proposed timeline, but the important point I am making is that it is far better to not be too dogmatic such as the ones on here who make the assertion of 14 billion and 4.3 billion without any possible uncertainty.

This is not how the Catholic Church treads, and while it has been permitted to suit oneself on these matters, I believe the document said don’t ram it at people who tend to disagree, I also believe that would include don’t belittle by comparing one’s belief to the flat earth nonsense.

Though nice exaggeration of millions my friend, that would almost convince some people? Though if one can exaggerate one number maybe they have no problem exaggerating other numbers too.🙂
It’s not an exaggeration to say millions of fossils…
Approximately How many fossils have been discovered and recorded world wide?
I am interested in numbers of fossils in research institutions and…show more
Best Answer (Chosen by Voter)
Nobody knows; the number is huge – probably into the millions. And that doesn’t count millions more that people simply haven’t bothered with just because they are duplicates.
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080430070605AAqGcjJ
You may like reading this. thenaturalhistorian.com/2011/09/14/covered-in-shells-how-many-fossils-are-there/

There are more than 3000 complete dinosaur fossil skeletons in US museums alone. Triple that number for the world. This doesn’t include single bones, incomplete specimens, animals from other eras, mammals, fish, shells, and other invertebrates. When it is all added up in the public and private collections it is indeed in the millions.

There is an amusement park near me that sells $10 fossils all day long. Small shells and Copepods. They aren’t running out.
 
I don’t understand the concern about “fundamentalists” and Young Earth Creationism. It appears that anyone can hold differing views but once anyone is found to be a YEC, then what? They are going to take over the world? How many YECs are there? There are people who believe crystals can heal them and do other things. A lot of New Age stuff, but YEC? What’s the danger?

Best,
Ed
 
It’s not an exaggeration to say millions of fossils…

You may like reading this. thenaturalhistorian.com/2011/09/14/covered-in-shells-how-many-fossils-are-there/

There are more than 3000 complete dinosaur fossil skeletons in US museums alone. Triple that number for the world. This doesn’t include single bones, incomplete specimens, animals from other eras, mammals, fish, shells, and other invertebrates. When it is all added up in the public and private collections it is indeed in the millions.

There is an amusement park near me that sells $10 fossils all day long. Small shells and Copepods. They aren’t running out.
Except that what you said was millions of fossils, then it your next statement switched that millions of fossils to exclusively dinosaur, and ended with the conclusion based on that dinosaur fossil back into millions.

There is incidentally a reason you will not find preflood humans fossils. God blotted them out. The past history of man shall not be remembered.
 
Except that what you said was millions of fossils, then it your next statement switched that millions of fossils to exclusively dinosaur, and ended with the conclusion based on that dinosaur fossil back into millions.

There is incidentally a reason you will not find preflood humans fossils. God blotted them out. The past history of man shall not be remembered.
Well I did not intend to say millions of dinosaur… But millions of prehistoric creatures now extinct…yes. Dinosaurs are one notable group of these.

So is it your belief that we can find pre flood dinosaur fossils but not pre flood human ones???

Why did the dinosaurs not board the ark? The majority are far smaller than elephants.
 
Well I did not intend to say millions of dinosaur… But millions of prehistoric creatures now extinct…yes. Dinosaurs are one notable group of these.

So is it your belief that we can find pre flood dinosaur fossils but not pre flood human ones???

Why did the dinosaurs not board the ark? The majority are far smaller than elephants.
Jon I am just going from what God said he would do. The logical conclusion of what I believe is obvious but I am not prepared to discuss that. Only that we should tread lighter.
 
Jon I am just going from what God said he would do. The logical conclusion of what I believe is obvious but I am not prepared to discuss that. Only that we should tread lighter.
It just seems to me it’s not much of a stretch to say that the first chapter of Genesis occurred over a very very long time.

It changes nothing.

My hope is that people are not afraid to see God’s amazing creation and the immense complexities because they are afraid to look at something that leads on a path to an old earth.
 
It just seems to me it’s not much of a stretch to say that the first chapter of Genesis occurred over a very very long time.

It changes nothing.

My hope is that people are not afraid to see God’s amazing creation and the immense complexities because they are afraid to look at something that leads on a path to an old earth.
I concur Jon, I don’t have a problem with either (though I do prefer one over the other) and as you rightly point out it should focus on the wonderment of God, not the wonderment of man. If the wonderment of God gets lost, then the discussion is lost.
 
Apologies Jon S when I said this on your posting
I believe the document said don’t ram it at people who tend to disagree
I was not actually referring to your postings, it was other postings I had in mind.
 
The church does not say anyway, but the church is a big proponent of science and following where science takes us.

The earth is 4.5 billion years old. The Universe is 14 billion years old.

Only Fundamentalist require a 6000 year old earth because they use the Bible as their only book…making it a science textbook when it is not anything of the sort.
I just read that the universe started as a hot point the size of an electron then grew from there. Does this theory contradict our faith? If not, why no, as a hot point the size of an electron is not nothing.
 
I just read that the universe started as a hot point the size of an electron then grew from there. Does this theory contradict our faith? If not, why no, as a hot point the size of an electron is not nothing.
Before the hot point the size of an electron there was nothing…

The causality train continues past that until there is an “unmoved mover”. That is God
 
Before the hot point the size of an electron there was nothing…

The causality train continues past that until there is an “unmoved mover”. That is God
Doesn’t science tell us that there was not nothing in the beginning but that this hot point was the beginning?
 
Doesn’t science tell us that there was not nothing in the beginning but that this hot point was the beginning?
They could say that but it makes no logical sense. I actually don’t think they say that.

They are still looking for causes before that.

One can easily say…where did the hot point come from? What is it suspended in? What is the universe expanding into? Etc…

In order to disprove God, they would have to find someone or something that is not caused by something. That exists fully of is own with no cause.

They haven’t done so. And frankly they can’t. Even if they proved our universe was birthed from another, one asks. Why? Where did that universe come from and so on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top