Crucifixes in your house

• Thread starter Thread starter Lorrie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
In all of our rooms and we have a collection of them on a wall…probably 8.

I have one in my dorm room…
…my parnets don’t have any in the house…

I have two in the main entrance, one being an Icon Cross with the image of a Crucifix on. And I have a Jerusalem Cross with the head portrait of Christ on my bedroom door and 10 others + 1 Cross in my bedroom.

Yours in the Spirit

Pious

This is a stupid question, but are they required if I convert? I only have a stained glass purple cross hanging on my wall, not a crucifix. Where can I get one then?

Paris Blues:
This is a stupid question, but are they required if I convert? I only have a stained glass purple cross hanging on my wall, not a crucifix. Where can I get one then?
No question is ever stupid, we Catholics display the Crucifix in our homes or on our person as a devotion and to remind us of the sacrfifice that Jesus made to save mankind. You can get a Crucifix from any Catholic religious store or online or you could ask your Priest if he can get one for you.

Yours in the Spirit

Pious.

A small one at my front door & back door & a larger one in my livingroom.

40.png
Pious:
No question is ever stupid, we Catholics display the Crucifix in our homes or on our person as a devotion and to remind us of the sacrfifice that Jesus made to save mankind. You can get a Crucifix from any Catholic religious store or online or you could ask your Priest if he can get one for you.

Yours in the Spirit

Pious.
How much are they? Are they affordable? Would Jesus want us to have one in our house? :confused:

Nicole

I have a gigantic wooden one (almost 3 feet) in my entry hall, a heavy silver one in my bedroom, and some San Damiano ones in the guest room, library and study. The big one I refinished from pieces left from the 1950’s.

Paris Blues:
How much are they? Are they affordable? Would Jesus want us to have one in our house? :confused:

Nicole
They don’t cost the earth, I don’t think it’s obligatory to have one, but it’s a good way to protect your home and also a nice way to remember what Our Lord actually did for us.

$$$$ depends on what you can afford.

Paris Blues:

Nicole
They can cost any amount, the more elaborate ones are dear, but you should be able to get a good on for around £5.00 ($10.00) or even cheaper. As to whether Jesus would want us to have one, I can’t personaly answer for him, but look around your home, do you have pictures of loved ones on display? is it then not fitting to display the image of the great sacrifice that was shed for us.

Jesus died on the Cross because he loves us; let us not forget that love.

Yours in the Spirit

Pious

At least one in each room. Sometimes multiple ones per room depending on the room.

I ordered a little (5" or so) San Damiano cross from the Divine Mercy Shrine in Stockbridge, Mass about three weeks ago. I must call them about it to see if it has been shipped becuase I can’t wait to hang it on the wall in front of my desk so I can look at it often. The cost of the cross and the shipping and handlings is around $5.00 very affordable especially for this cross, which I refer to as the “who’s who in the passion story” cross. They have some very affordable items. I thim the web site is www.marian.org.

Unfortuantely, I had to move back in with my family a few year ago. Such a travesty for me, personally, but I was between jobs and ended up very ill from a freak disease that left me mostly blind for a while. Quite the literally I was blind and now I see story, as I did return to my faith through trials.

But I digress a bit. At any rate, it’s weird because while growing up there were times in my life where they had to force me to got o chruch. Now they are the ones who have fallen away. My mother has a small crucifix in her bedroom. I have two curcifixes that my late grandmother had hanging over her doors, that I obtained when cleanign out ehr house after she died (I donated tons of stuff to the Carmeltie monastery because she had so many religious items, and unfortunately, no one in my family would offer them a good home; also not having my own place I do not have room for much) and I want to put one of them up over the front door here. I think it’s a great way to remind yourself of intetions and reflect onyour behavior when entering and leaving the house. Also, forgive me for sounding superstitous, but my brother hangs out with a bad group of thugs, and I like the idea of a kind or perment prayer over the door.

I’ve got about 50 crucifixes/crosses from around the world, all different cultures, massed together on the walls. I adore our Lord in His Crucified Image (and any other way He might deign to show Himself) and I like to explore how different cultures and artists depict Him.

Paris Blues:

Nicole
I just got my first one today, it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for but it works. It cost me something like $12 Canadian, and there were more expensive ones there and less expensive ones. Cost is relative to how elaborate they are.

I can’t speak for Jesus, maybe you should ask him? I got mine just to remind me daily of his sacrifice for us, so I can be more willing to sacrifice for him.

One next to the front door
One with the Marian shrine
One in our bedroom
One above each of the kids’ beds (4)
One in the kitchen

Eight all together.

Dear friend

I have one in the lounge, one in the kitchen, one in my bedroom and one in my daughter’s bedroom, a total of four.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

listening to a program on EWTN while cruising here the other night, heard that crucifix was not used in Christian art until several hundred years after the resurrection. It gave the whole history of how this symbol became acceptable, then inextricably identified with Catholic faith and practice through the example of the monks, Bernard of Clairveaux mentioned specifically.

1 resurrected Christ, wedding present from in-laws, front door, one mother-of-pearl and olivewood from Jerusalem, brought back by Jewish employer, back door, brass cross and corpus, another wedding present, hubby’s office, San Damiano cross souvenir from Steubenville, desk; glass with etched corpus, present from catechists, on my dresser, one made from clothespins, spray painted gold, corpus is picture cut from a calendar-gift from CCD kids, treasured, I keep re-gluing it, about 2 feet tall, on my office wall. small standing crucifix with St. Benedict medal, on prayer table, icon cross with trinitarian symbols, gift for donation to Franciscans, above my bed. that;s all I can remember.

Paris Blues:
True Catholics like St Paul, “Preach Christ and Him Crucified”
We do this by wearing, and sometimes speaking Christ Crucified.

God Bless,
St Paul, the Raging Catholic who loved the Roman Church…and still does.

To find a million or so, search the internet for crucifixes, Catholic.
When you wear a Crucifix, all who see it believe instinctively that you are Roman Catholic.

I have one in each room, over the doors and on various places on the walls depending on the room. I also have the Celtic cross, Icon crosses, an American cross as well as a wall rosary. I wish I had more.

👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back