Hi!
As I post this I just wanted to let you know that it’s currently 4:30 am and I am awake with my 3 month old daughter, trying to get her to go back to sleep. My husband is asleep but he was in this same position, at the same time, yesterday.
She’s about as perfect, sweet, wonderful, smart and beautiful as we could have ever expected. Those aren’t my words…they are her father’s words. We want her to have the best and be the best and we hope we can raise her to be a good Catholic girl and are trying to figure out how were going to make that happen.
I could suggest you read this post to your dad and say…“sound familiar?” But I know you won’t. Still, it is familiar and likely they were saying the exact same thing about you 17 short years ago, plus or minus a few months, and will also say “where has the time gone?”
I find your post interesting because as we were driving home from lunch yesterday the song “Cleaning This Gun,” by Rodney Adkins came on the radio. If you haven’t heard it, it’s a song about a father letting his daughter go out with a boy on a date.
I asked my husband what he thought about his little girl dating a boy at the age of 16 (I’m guessing around the same age you started dating your boyfriend, plus or minus a few months) and he didn’t want to imagine the possibility.
“Even if it’s a nice boy from church?” I asked and he shook his head and said that would worry him even more. He also mentioned something about him already owning a shotgun, shovel and his father’s 20 acres of land.
While it may seem like such a long time away to worry about something like this…the fact is our clock has already started ticking away and has literally run out for your parents.
Your parents are lucky because they have raised a good catholic girl but they are about to send her off into the big world and that is a big deal. They want you to be everything they dreamed of being and they don’t want you to be heart broken or in trouble. It’s kind of like taking a test they’ve spent 17 years studying and preparing for.
Boyfriends are tough because it’s a variable they can’t control. They can’t control who that boyfriend is and how he acts around you. They only way they can control the situation is making it difficult to see your boyfriend, hence the “little brother” variable they can add to the equation to stabilize it.
In regards to your situation with your boyfriend. How serious is it? Are we talking marriage next year and the possibility of starting a family now or are you two planning to separate for college and earn degrees first?
I’m not saying either is good or bad…frankly, I wish I met my husband at the age of 18 and married him then…but we met at age 24 and had already both fallen off the “Catholic wagon” and had to work our way back on.
Just keep in mind that a whole lot can happen in the coming years and your parents know that. Also, you do seem like a very mature and well-rounded young lady. However, you are still just that…a young lady who hasn’t seen too much of the world outside of her parent’s house on her own yet.
Saying you feel mature and truly acting like you are mature are very different things. Sometimes it takes a few more trips around the sun to realize this.
I thought I was mature and grown-up at the age of 17. Looking back it makes me smile and laugh a little.
My advice? I’m sure you have plans that you’ve thought through with your boyfriend…with college and what not. That you plan to wait until marriage? Have you let your parents know this? How about just your mother? She will tell your father anyway.
Keep bringing your boyfriend over your house if your parents will let you. Bring him for family dinners, study time, movie nights…whatever but it gives your parents a little control over what is going on with your two. Besides…you might be too young to go on two many dates unsupervised anyway as this brings about situations and temptation for you both.
See if you can go out on more dates with other friends…personally, I feel this is quite reasonable and should be encouraged.
Take it slow unless you are actually discerning an engagement and marriage soon. Have fun…and above all…listen to what your parents have to say and discuss a clear and reasonable set of rules you all can live by.