Dads how do you stay in shape? Need Help

  • Thread starter Thread starter mkipp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the good advice. I am going to make this happen. I am going to use the beach and my family as a motivator. The ocean is 2 miles from our house and I hate to go as I am always embarrassed. This year will be different. On these forums I see a lot of women writing or commenting on body issues, but not men. I wonder if men have these issues (other than I), or if it is not such a big deal to most men.
 
The post above is in reply to dontknow…not sure why the quote didn’t show. :hmmm:
 
Thanks for the good advice. I am going to make this happen. I am going to use the beach and my family as a motivator. The ocean is 2 miles from our house and I hate to go as I am always embarrassed. This year will be different. On these forums I see a lot of women writing or commenting on body issues, but not men. I wonder if men have these issues (other than I), or if it is not such a big deal to most men.
*I think men have more pressure now…it’s not just a female thing. Most celebs who are male are VERY fit…my son who is 17, feels that pressure, and he has really taken to lifting weights on a regular basis. It’s not just a female thing…

Good for you…I look forward to hearing about your progress! With God, you can do anything. *
 
Dear mkipp:

I am not a man, but just wanted to suggest you get the “Insanity” work out tapes. My h has been doing them for about a year now, and he’s got a hot bod.

You can take an hour out day or night, in front of your TV and go to it. They are great! You never need to leave your home either. Check it out on-line, just google “Insanity”. They have info-mercials all the time for them too.

Good luck. It’s awesome you want to get in shape, i think…
 
I work about 15 miles from home, too far to ride a bike. I think that thing that keeps not getting healthy is that I am depressed about being or getting heavier. I know that makes no sense. I need to force myself to be healthy and cut back the 2 beers a night, wasted calories.
It’s probably too far right now, but if you start riding a couple of miles a day, it seriously won’t be too long before 15 miles would be no problem at all. I’m going to be pushy and keep recommending the bike for exercise especially since you are feeling depressed. In comparison to the gym, riding your bike gets you outside, which will make you feel happier. Look for excuses to ride your bike after work…to pick up an item from the grocery store, to mail a letter, or return something to the library. I see you live 2 miles to the beach…the perfect distance to ride.

My sons (7 and 9) just recently learned to ride and have been able to do 10 miles round trip with very little effort. That’s the nice thing about bike riding…it’s not tough. You don’t have to wear anything special either, and if you don’t have a bike, they are pretty affordable used on Craig’s list. I got a vintage (1989) Cannondale mountain bike from Craiglist for $75.

Other than that, try cutting processed foods mostly out of your diet. Avoid high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils like the plague. If you want cookies, then bake cookies. Try using whole grains and organic products. They are delicious and so much better for you.

Just look to avoid going overboard. Slowly implementing small changes that you can live with is a far better approach than drastically changing your life in ways that are unsustainable. Remember it’s about health and about living, not about beating yourself up or feeling bad about where you are at right now.
 
On these forums I see a lot of women writing or commenting on body issues, but not men. I wonder if men have these issues (other than I), or if it is not such a big deal to most men.
I’m 33 and I am constantly working to stay in shape. I’m not married with children yet, but health and fitness have always been important to me. I think once you have children, even though it’s more difficult, it’s also more important, as kids take in a lot of the habits of their parents.
 
Yep, and that’s been one great aspect of getting back in shape. My oldest wants to run all the time. I actually feel bad I don’t enter her in more fun runs.
 
I just found out the golf course opened today, so at least I will be adding more walking into the mix.
 
Since we had our daughter 8 months ago, I have gained a ton a weight. My wife looks great and back to pre-baby weight. I need help, tips, and what you do to keep motivated. Now at 31, motivation is my weakness. I am going to re-sign up at the gym, and need to change my diet. Just looking for what works for you. I actually have an easy schedule, as I get home at 4:15pm, so I have the time to make a change. God Bless.
I feel your pain. I have walked in your shoes. Be thankful that you have come to this cross road now in your life. I didn’t come to it until much later. In fact, I have just recently hit that cross road and started taking the road less traveled. I am 44, 6 ft, 234 lbs, 35% body fat. :eek:Your basic couch potato.

Like you, I put on weight when we started having kids. That was 3 kids ago. Like you, I want to be around for my kids, but not only that, I want to be able to keep up with them as they become teenagers. Coincidentally, my motivation for physical fitness is occurring with my motivation for for spiritual fitness. (Just read a great book “Be A Man”, by Father Larry Richards. That is another topic.) For Lent I gave up playing poker online and started praying the Rosary everyday. Mainly I felt that God was calling me to give up something that was causing me to be slothful. I have confessed this and asked God for diligence. I am always asking God to take away the things that are displeasing to him.

Anyway, I have just started a workout called Stronglifts 5x5 and I am in the second week of it. I stumbled upon the website purely by accident, (divine intervention:)) and even though I am only in the 2nd week, I feel really good about it. I am eating much better, and more often:thumbsup:

Here is the link: stronglifts.com/

There is a lot of information and there is a free download of the stronglifts 5x5 program. There is a lot of support in the forums and there is some good information on eating well.

The great thing about this workout is I am not fixated on the scale. I am not too concerned with how much I weigh (muscle weighs more than fat) but I will be focusing on my body fat percentage.

I know that I am not going to change my body shape overnight and I try to keep that perspective. I have gone to the gym before and focused on aerobic exercise, but all I focused on was the bathroom scale. Now, when I go to the gym, I am pumped because I will be adding weight to my workout.

I am not far removed from being that person looking to make a change physically. Remember that it takes more force to get a stationary object moving than one that is already moving.

I wish you well. If you have any questions regarding this workout, feel free to private message me or email me.

Peace be with you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top