That is kind of my point: damned if you do, damned if you donât. unless of course you can make an act of perfect contrition which is close to impossible to do.
I think that your answer lies in the Act of Contrition:
*O, my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you.
I detest all my sins because of your just punishment,
but most of all because they offend you, my God,
who are all-good and deserving of all my love.
I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace,
to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. *
So the answer to âArenât you going to be toast no matter what you do, so what is the reason for behaving? It seems as long as youâre damned, you might as well do every bad thing you can think of. I donât see any particular reason to go to hell halfwayâŚâ is this:
It is right to âLove the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.â and to âLove your neighbor as yourself.â because God is worthy of it, not because there is a reward in it for you. If you donât think that is true, what business have you to hope for Heaven? Do you think it is some kind of a reward for our righteousness? Ha! Heaven preserve us from a just reward for our âgood behaviorâ!
Donât you know that Hell is the most merciful place possible for those whose being does not revolve around God? What on earth would you do when you got there (to Heaven, that is), if you have no care for any suffering that doesnât have a payoff in it for you? What would give you the idea that Heaven is your kind of a place, that it would make you at all happy to be there?
Of course I speak tongue-in-cheek, but seriously now: you do know that the whole of Heaven revolves around Him, right? Be careful what you ask for!
Do not fear that Godâs mercy is too small, and do not teach others to fear Him. All we have to fear is our own smallness of heart, not Godâs.