dating books

  • Thread starter Thread starter cmscms
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cmscms

Guest
Does anyone know of any good Catholic (or maybe even Christian) dating books? Most dating books out there are not christian and needless to say I am offended by some of the things they say

Thanks

CN
 
The only one I found was “The ABCs of Finding a Husband”. The other ones I have are secular ones. I just take what is moral, and then ignore the rest.
 
Hi hi hi!!
Read the one CS mentioned when I was young and starry-eyed…lolz. :rolleyes:
There’s nothing wrong with it but as I recall it was somewhat short and basic.
I do recommend Christian Courtship in an Oversexed World: A Guide for Catholics, by Thomas G. Morrow. He is a Catholic priest, if I remember correctly, and the volume was quite informative. 👍

Edited to add: don’t be turned off by the “courtship” part of the title: I don’t remember it being anything like pages of meaningless courting rituals, just super good common sense. 👍
 
Hi hi hi!!
Read the one CS mentioned when I was young and starry-eyed…lolz. :rolleyes:
There’s nothing wrong with it but as I recall it was somewhat short and basic.
I do recommend Christian Courtship in an Oversexed World: A Guide for Catholics, by Thomas G. Morrow. He is a Catholic priest, if I remember correctly, and the volume was quite informative. 👍

Edited to add: don’t be turned off by the “courtship” part of the title: I don’t remember it being anything like pages of meaningless courting rituals, just super good common sense. 👍
I thought the book was a little slight as well. It is meant for someone a little younger than me, lol. I ordered a couple more dating books with my Amazon giftcard I got. They aren’t Catholic, but I haven’t seen any religious dating books.
 
I liked “If You Really Loved Me: 100 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity” by Jason Evert. It is kind of geared toward teens, but it was still well worth reading.
 
I forgot one! I’m surrently reading “Why He Didn’t Call You Back”. It’s about guys who go “poof” after meeting you. 🙂 It’s very timely for me. Plus, I’m meeting with a matchmaker on Monday (yay for Christmas presents).
 
I forgot one! I’m surrently reading “Why He Didn’t Call You Back”. It’s about guys who go “poof” after meeting you. 🙂 It’s very timely for me. Plus, I’m meeting with a matchmaker on Monday (yay for Christmas presents).
Hah! Now that you say, a book on women going poof on you could be useful. 🙂 As a rule, sooner or later and with enough mental exercise, one can probably figure it out anyway, but say, learning the common mistakes people make in assessing the mistakes we make (e.g. “he didn’t ask me out, he’s a loser,” “she opted out, she must have changed her mind on me”) could generally help people avoid wasting chances.

And the only thing related to dating I’ve been reading lately is canon law. 😛

(In fact, in their time, the canons were a dating book to me. Showed me what girl you can’t have.)
 
Hah! Now that you say, a book on women going poof on you could be useful. 🙂 As a rule, sooner or later and with enough mental exercise, one can probably figure it out anyway, but say, learning the common mistakes people make in assessing the mistakes we make (e.g. “he didn’t ask me out, he’s a loser,” “she opted out, she must have changed her mind on me”) could generally help people avoid wasting chances.

And the only thing related to dating I’ve been reading lately is canon law. 😛

(In fact, in their time, the canons were a dating book to me. Showed me what girl you can’t have.)
I know why he went poof on me. I know it’s always my fault. It’s becasue of my weight, it always is. I just wish he would man up to it and admit it (he’s says he is a good honest Catholic, HA. BTW, he does post here on CAF). I think that if you want to date, you also have to be mature enough to let down a girl nicely. Rejecting someone doesn’t make you the bad guy, but running away does.
Yay! My new dating and dieting books should be here on Monday (I love Amazon.com). 😃
 
Saying nothing may sometimes be lighter on the other person than spelling out the reasons or even just saying, “sorry, not interested,” the latter though primarily when it’s very early. 😉
 
Saying nothing may sometimes be lighter on the other person than spelling out the reasons or even just saying, “sorry, not interested,” the latter though primarily when it’s very early. 😉
Not for this girl. Honesty is the best policy. How hard it is to say/ write: “Sorry, not interested”. I think it is better than leading someone on, especially when you have been communicating for several months.
I do someday want to the opportunity to break some guy’s heart. 😛
 
*Dating should be like interviewing for a job, complete with CV/resume. References, the whole nine yards. You call those who send you their resume, arrange for the interview…meet at a very neutral place…both wear business suits. 🤓 In this case, both people would be interviewing each other…you go through about five or so resumes…(so it doesn’t get too confusing) then you pick one or two to come back for a second interview…that can be a date…then, you send a letter rejecting those that ‘didn’t make the final cut,’ and an acceptance letter to the one you like. lol

I’m being silly of course…but as a business woman, if I were single…I think keeping it professional could make things easier. 😃

The rejection letter could be something like this…

"Due to the overwhelming response to my ad, your characteristics were definitely appealing, but there were those that more closely matched what I’m looking for. I will keep your resume on file, however.’’

Business as usual. No hard feelings… :rotfl:*
 
Does anyone know of any good Catholic (or maybe even Christian) dating books? Most dating books out there are not christian and needless to say I am offended by some of the things they say

Thanks

CN
Real Love: Answers to Your Questions on Dating, Marriage and the Real Meaning of Sex By Mary Beth Bonacci seems to be a very good book for Catholics, dating and married. Believe it or not, I was pleasantly surprised when looking for a Catholic bible for my mother in law for Christmas–amazon has a lot of Catholic books…so, I’d try there. Good luck, and God bless. 🙂
 
*Dating should be like interviewing for a job, complete with CV/resume. References, the whole nine yards. You call those who send you their resume, arrange for the interview…meet at a very neutral place…both wear business suits. 🤓 In this case, both people would be interviewing each other…you go through about five or so resumes…(so it doesn’t get too confusing) then you pick one or two to come back for a second interview…that can be a date…then, you send a letter rejecting those that ‘didn’t make the final cut,’ and an acceptance letter to the one you like. lol

I’m being silly of course…but as a business woman, if I were single…I think keeping it professional could make things easier. 😃

The rejection letter could be something like this…

"Due to the overwhelming response to my ad, your characteristics were definitely appealing, but there were those that more closely matched what I’m looking for. I will keep your resume on file, however.’’

Business as usual. No hard feelings… :rotfl:*
That would be better than the way it’s handled now. I did get a dating book on how to find a husband in 30 days by using business school principles. Let’s see if it will work.
 
That would be better than the way it’s handled now. I did get a dating book on how to find a husband in 30 days by using business school principles. Let’s see if it will work.
*Now see that? I shoulda written a book on this! lol 😛 As women, it’s hard to not let feelings rule our actions. But, being practical, and using logic can go a long way! Men are very logical …my husband had feelings for me when we were dating of course, but as an analytical type of thinker, he told me that while he fell in love with me, I was a good fit for him, logistically. (he did say this) lol 🤓 😃 *
 
*Now see that? I shoulda written a book on this! lol 😛 As women, it’s hard to not let feelings rule our actions. But, being practical, and using logic can go a long way! Men are very logical …my husband had feelings for me when we were dating of course, but as an analytical type of thinker, he told me that while he fell in love with me, I was a good fit for him, logistically. (he did say this) lol 🤓 😃 *
That’s sweet. I still want to believe in romantic love, but I need to be practical. Love only leaves me angry and bitter, and wanting to destroy a man’s car with a basball bat. *maybe listening to “Before He Cheats” is a bad idea 😃 * If I just look at it as a purely business transaction, no emotions are involved. And emotions are messy. 🙂
 
My SIL said her grandmother always advocated praying to St. Anne…

“St. Anne, St. Anne, send me a man!”

I guess it worked for grandma… don’t know if SIL ever tried it… 😛
 
lol–I don’t know about that. But, I know that you have been hurt; before my husband, I was hurt also. It happens. It’s a cliche, but it’s part of life. Being hurt, and recovering…and growing stronger.I think that being logical is a good thing…but, emotions are part of who we are, as human beings. It is hard to trust after we’ve been hurt, I know. I am praying for you that this year will be a good one for you, CS! Hang in there–you’re a good Catholic woman, you just need to find your match. :hug1:
 
My SIL said her grandmother always advocated praying to St. Anne…

“St. Anne, St. Anne, send me a man!”

I guess it worked for grandma… don’t know if SIL ever tried it… 😛
*LOL! That’s great.

I prayed right before meeting my husband…asking God to ‘‘identify’’ who He wanted me to marry. Literally, within a month or so, I met my husband. The power of prayer… we should never underestimate it. 👍*
 
lol–I don’t know about that. But, I know that you have been hurt; before my husband, I was hurt also. It happens. It’s a cliche, but it’s part of life. Being hurt, and recovering…and growing stronger.I think that being logical is a good thing…but, emotions are part of who we are, as human beings. It is hard to trust after we’ve been hurt, I know. I am praying for you that this year will be a good one for you, CS! Hang in there–you’re a good Catholic woman, you just need to find your match. :hug1:
I am meeting with a matchmaker on Monday. I am determined not to be alone anymore. It will be a part time job, but I am willing to do it. I still want to break someone my ex-heart’s like mine has been broken, I just wish I was meaner.

Bluerose, I love that St. Anne prayer. Simple and to the point. 🙂 I’ve been praying for a man since I was 13.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top