dating books

  • Thread starter Thread starter cmscms
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the Josh Harris books. They advocate non-physical courtship (no kissing at all, no long hugs, having chaperons when together). It also suggested asking parent’s permission to court their daughter, and saving one-on-one dating for after marriage. The book seems more oriented toward high school/early college age young adults (especially the part about asking permission to court). I also think it would be extremely hard to follow this pattern of courtship in typical western culture.

I actually did see this pattern of courtship followed by one of my evangelical friends in college. He was a post college grad, and courted a long time friend (she was in her late 20’s/early 30’s) he had known for many years in the non-denom college bible study. They courted for about 3 months before getting married and had their roommates present during “dates”. They shared their very first kiss at the wedding ceremony. I can’t imagine this happening often in Catholic circles (I have been in many Catholic YA groups and have not seen this done), but within a tight knit community of evangelicals it seems slightly more common.
 
I read the Josh Harris books. They advocate non-physical courtship (no kissing at all, no long hugs, having chaperons when together). It also suggested asking parent’s permission to court their daughter, and saving one-on-one dating for after marriage. The book seems more oriented toward high school/early college age young adults (especially the part about asking permission to court). I also think it would be extremely hard to follow this pattern of courtship in typical western culture.

I actually did see this pattern of courtship followed by one of my evangelical friends in college. He was a post college grad, and courted a long time friend (she was in her late 20’s/early 30’s) he had known for many years in the non-denom college bible study. They courted for about 3 months before getting married and had their roommates present during “dates”. They shared their very first kiss at the wedding ceremony. I can’t imagine this happening often in Catholic circles (I have been in many Catholic YA groups and have not seen this done), but within a tight knit community of evangelicals it seems slightly more common.
I can think of at least one Catholic couple I know who shared their first kiss on their wedding day.

I can’t imagine never having any alone time with a girlfriend. I can understand the desire to remove the occassion of sin, but how are you supposed to have those important personal conversations with a prospective spouse when your roommate is right there? :confused:

I was interested in Harris’ philosophy back when the book first came out as several friends really bought into it and thought it was great. Then I found out that he wasn’t that much older than I am and was only 22 or so when he wrote the book. I lost interest after that. 🤷
 
I read When Boy Meets Girl: Say Hello to Courtship by Joshua Harris, and it fundamentally shaped the way I think of dating now. I probably won’t court the way the couples in his stories do, and I don’t think saving the first kiss and one-on-one dates for marriage is for everyone, but the underlying principles of doing everything to serve God and love the other person stand, whether I call it dating or courting.
 
The kiss has some basis, but the no-one-on-one is only sensible in cultures with a high sex drive or where males can’t be trusted (unless the female is stronger :rolleyes:). It reduced the possibility of anyone confessing to anything or talking about really private subjects and it makes dating conditional on a chaperone being available and may mean the end of a date when the chaperone has to go. And it wastes the chaperone’s time basically (unless we’re talking about a case where guarding the purity of the couple really is needed, then obviously time spent doing that is not wasted; time being an ornament on a 1890.-ies concept is). I don’t wish to criticise people for acting on their feelings if they really have such feelings to begin with, but it does seem excessive. I would only agree to that if the “third person” stayed within sight but not withing an ear’s distance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top