DaVinci Code Destroyed!

• Thread starter Thread starter FightingFat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FightingFat

Brilliant documentary on Channel 4 last night, any other Brits watch it?

channel4.com/culture/microsites/W/weirdworlds/da_vinci_code/index.html

The best thing was that there was not a single Church representative on the whole thing, so no one could accuse the Church of bias or interference.
It was extremely historically based, presented by Tony Robinson (you might know him as Baldrick from the Black Adder series, but he presents a show called ‘Time Team’ here now which is a popular archealogical program).

It carefull and objectively took each of the themes from the DaVinci code and destroyed them as myth. It had interviews with the authors of HBHG too.

Really enjoyable, (especially as it came out on the Church’s side!)

Hi,

I saw parts of it and it was very good 👍

Yours in the Spirit

Pious

I saw about the first half of it last night. I told my roommate that it seemed almost laughable- I thought the documentary was going to support the daVinci Code, but when point after point discredited the book I turned it off. Already knew the book was **** anyway- alright, very interesting reading though.

Good stuff. I think they should show it in America. Oh wait… major networks don’t carry educational stuff in the States- I forgot!!
🙂

What am I going to do when I move back there and don’t have the BBC or Chanel 4?? :crying:

40.png
Steph700:
I saw about the first half of it last night. I told my roommate that it seemed almost laughable- I thought the documentary was going to support the daVinci Code, but when point after point discredited the book I turned it off. Already knew the book was **** anyway- alright, very interesting reading though.

Good stuff. I think they should show it in America. Oh wait… major networks don’t carry educational stuff in the States- I forgot!!
🙂

What am I going to do when I move back there and don’t have the BBC or Chanel 4?? :crying:
So true instead we get abc to basically do a telamercial for this fraudulent book and leaves one with the premise that the story is historical fiction. Ah gosh no woner american are the most gullible people in the world. I wish one on the networks would by this from the BBC and televise just prior to the movie release to take the steam off that junk.

40.png
Maccabees:
So true instead we get abc to basically do a telamercial for this fraudulent book and leaves one with the premise that the story is historical fiction. Ah gosh no woner american are the most gullible people in the world. I wish one on the networks would by this from the BBC and televise just prior to the movie release to take the steam off that junk.
Yeah.

I think as a work of fiction it’s good. Otherwise millions of people wouldn’t have loved it so much. Dan Brown obviously has a gift! What I don’t approve of is the author or anyone else acting like it’s Historical Fiction- like what you said.

It would be AMAZING to see how differently the American public would think/act if the networks there did a better job. Heaven knows the British TV stations are far from perfect, but they are head and shoulders above the States- hands down. They even show good movies on the weekends! 😉

40.png
FightingFat:
Brilliant documentary on Channel 4 last night, any other Brits watch it?
Knew it was on although I don’t qualify as I don’t consider myself a Brit, :nope: I didn’t watch it.

My daughter might have taped it, but I’m sure it will be repeated.

I think the Dan Brown book is trashy; a page turner but not particularly well written. Enjoyable fiction at best! However, lots and lots of people have questioned there faith because of the assertions it makes about the Vatucan and the Church in particular and Christianity in general. I have even been questioned by friends down the pub on it! Basically, it is the kind of thing people love to believe. One of the most believable claims is that ‘San Greal’ - the French for Holy Grail, was mis-translated from ‘Sang real’ Holy blood. It’s neat, logical and sounds plausible. Except it’s nonsense! At the beginning it makes the claim (based on the research done in the book Holy Blood, Holy Grail) that the Priory of Scion is a historical organisation. In the documentary, Robinson tracks down the three surrealist French instigators of this society, orchestrated to empower one member as a Merovingian King. It was enthralling and so objective!

I wish it would be shown here on a PBS channel or on BBC America. Oh well, I’m glad a show like that showed anywhere. Maybe those in England, when communicating across the pond, can enlighten those of us still duped over here where the book is still often placed in the non-fiction or even the religion section of book stores!!!

I also wish they would show it here on PBS, and bet it will come soon. It is such an interesting topic and would be refreshing to get real academics’ opinions.

I agree that The Davinci Code wasn’t great literature, but it was a fascinating read–a real page turner and loads of fun. My husband is reading it now, and last night he and I were looking-up Merovingians on the internet. I remember studying them in school, and not hearing anything about claims to be descended from Christ.

Obviously the book is fiction, but many of the background “historical” facts leave you wondering about the accuracy. Some of them are very accurate and true.

So, what did the documentary say about Merovingian claims to be descended from Christ? Did these ancient Gaul or French or whatever Kings actually make these claims?

Nah, the Merovingian tie in comes from documents obtained by the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail. They were led to these documents by members of the secret society- The Priory of Sion. This secret society seems in fact to have been a surrealist prank invented by three French men with time on their hands and some spare cash. (Which is amusing, considering the surrealist tie in with Monty Python!)

These French chaps- Monsieurs Plantard, de Sède and de Cherisey apparently led Grail researchers a merry dance. Not least the three who in 1982 wrote Dan Brown’s touchstone – *The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail * Nevertheless, the authors of this work still believe their hypothesis (that the Holy Grail is Christ’s bloodline) holds water. And all three authors, Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln, are experienced researchers, knowledgeable in the field.

At about the same time that Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln were conducting their research in so-called Grail country in the south of France, French journalist Jean-Luc Chaumeil was also on the trail. He came up with rather a different story. The so called Les Dossiers Secrets (listing previous Grand Masters of the Priory of Sion, including Leonardo da Vinci and illustrious friends) Chaumeil found to be faked. Along with the genealogy of Merovingian Kings, who could trace their ancestry back to Mary Magdalene, and forward to one Monsieur Plantard!!!
🙂

So incredibly, the whole Merovingian thing comes from this silly little ruse!

I can’t wait to tell my husband about that one. I don’t see how anyone could lose their faith because of this book. Even if the Merovingian Kings had claimed to be descended from Christ, that would be a very far-fetched claim. If you think about it, Kings from time immemorial have claimed that they are God’s annointed, so making such an outrageous claim would be in keeping with much of royalty’s need to use their power over people.

I think it’s clever because it weaves some truth into fiction. One of the best bits of the documentary was when Tony visited Milan to view DaVinci’s last supper, the figure to the left of Christ is said to be a woman in Dan Brown’s book, remember?
Well, Tony Robinson said he was convinced that he’d get there and see this was nonsense, then he walked into the chapel.
Check this out!
images.fbrtech.com/dnew/Italy2001/Postcards/Milan1.jpg

Sure looks like a woman to me!

40.png
FightingFat:
Sure looks like a woman to me!
I will grant you that, but by todays standards they all look rather feminine. I would question their orientation. Another one on the right looks like a woman for sure. I will have to say that when I go to the Art Institute in Chicago and look at things painted a long time ago, men are often effeminate. I don’t know it this point to the painter or the times. I am not a student of art. I could care less.

Thanks for the great link, Fighting Fat. It does look like a woman. I do think Dan Brown did a great job bringing in various pieces of historical information and linking them together with clues. Again, even if Davinci believed that one of the disciples was a woman, it doesn’t prove anything. Nor should it make anybody question their faith. Davinci was an artist, not a theologian or priest.

Davinci’s famous sculpture of Moses has him with horns coming out of his head because of a mistranslation of a Hebrew word that can mean either horn or rays of light. Does that mean that Moses really had horns coming out of his head?

Well you see that’s the point Fitz…It’s meant to be John (the Disciple Jesus loved). If you check out this DaVinci-

mystudios.com/art/italian/davinci/davinci-st-john-1513.html

It’s John the Baptist!!! You see if you know about the artist, you know he was perportedly a bit that way inclined, so it wasn’t unlike him to paint attractive “feminine” young men. Still, based on the Dan Brown book, you look at the painting, and pretty soon you’re wondering…Know what I mean?

Clever innit!

40.png
FightingFat:
Well you see that’s the point Fitz…It’s meant to be John (the Disciple Jesus loved). If you check out this DaVinci-

mystudios.com/art/italian/davinci/davinci-st-john-1513.html

It’s John the Baptist!!! You see if you know about the artist, you know he was perportedly a bit that way inclined, so it wasn’t unlike him to paint attractive “feminine” young men. Still, based on the Dan Brown book, you look at the painting, and pretty soon you’re wondering…Know what I mean?

Clever innit!
Not read the book and must admit I’m not overly interested. The painting though, now theres a different story. Looking at the way John’s holding his fingers, do you think he’s read the book?

Now a guy paints a picture that wasn’t even there and we conclude that the young man is a girl? Fascinating!!!

40.png
buffalo:
Now a guy paints a picture that wasn’t even there and we conclude that the young man is a girl? Fascinating!!!
No you’re missing the point… DaVinci is mentioned as one of these members of this fictitious Priory of Scion, keeping the secret of Jesus bloodline…Get it? There’s meant to be other symbology in the painting but you can make what you like out of anything if it is planted in your mind can’t you?

40.png
buffalo:
No, I conclude the painter is gay. So, it won’t make me read the book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back