Day 2: Amy Coney Barrett's confirmation hearing

• Thread starter Thread starter RidgeSprinter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I’ll eventually find it…thanks for trying! Much appreciated…
❤️❤️❤️

Watching parts of the hearings as alleviated some of my skepticism towards Amy Coney Barrett. She showcased remarkable intelligence and a sense of humor.

Don’t you think the Republicans would do the same thing if the Democrats were ever to get 5 justices, which they haven’t had since RW?
I can’t see the Repubs doing court packing. They put up with a liberal court for a long time without doing anything but taking their turn at appointments.
That said, I thought the discussion on Citizens United was interesting.
Missed that. Sorry I did.

I can’t see the Repubs doing court packing. They put up with a liberal court for a long time without doing anything but taking their turn at appointments.
Yes, and once they achieved their appointments (7-2) they made abortion legal, setting a precedent even Amy Barrett acknowledged. A little bit of irony there.

Last edited:
Not all Repub appointees to the Court have been prolife, not even all of the Catholic ones. But at least they have appointed some justices who are prolife. The Democrats have appointed none, and there’s no reason to expect them to do so anywhere in the near future, as their candidates are all vetted by NARAL.

I thought Ben Sasse of Nebraska had the best speech of the senators yesterday because he brought in baseball. I had a different baseball analogy in mind. Consider an umpire in a game tied in the bottom of the ninth inning. The bases are loaded with a full count on the batter and the pitch is two inches outside. If the pitch is called a ball, the visiting team loses the game. The Democrat umpire says, “Well he meant to throw a strike, and I feel sorry for the team that will lose, so I will call it a strike.”

I believe the future Justice Barrett will call them like she sees them. If she is confirmed I will no longer have to say that Justice Scalia is the only Supreme Court Justice that I have met in person. The only other conflict will be whether we in her adopted state of Indiana can claim her or the people of Louisiana can claim her. Both Justice Scalia and Judge Barrett were guests of honor at the Red Mass held in our cathedral. Scalia’s turn was in 2001, only a few weeks after 9/11. Our cathedral was crawling with security people that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back