Deal Struck!

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
katherine2:
a good compromise. now let’s get back to work.
It’s a great compromise for the Democrats. It’s the only good option they have. The Republicans, meanwhile, had full control and no reason to compromise and therefore, it isn’t good.
 
40.png
Brad:
It’s a great compromise for the Democrats. It’s the only good option they have. The Republicans, meanwhile, had full control and no reason to compromise and therefore, it isn’t good.
I agree with you. Its not good for the Republicans. 😛
 
40.png
ByzCath:
First, if it wasn’t a victory then it was a loss. There is no other thing,
How about a draw?
Now to comment on the rest, I do not want to accuse you of having an agenda here Benedictus but it does appear so.
I don’t have an “agenda”. I just think the Republicans were being foolish and short-sighted by trying to kill the filibuster. I’m pro-life. I’m not a Democrat. I’ve never voted for a Democrat. I vote for a lot of Republicans. I voted for Dubya twice. But Republicans are still politicians, and most politicians are scum.
So I think you should at the very least retract your statement that someone here was praising Rush as it didn’t happen.
Okay, I retract that. I guess I misinterpreted what you wrote as praise for him.
 
40.png
Richardols:
Since when is a fight over a Senate rule evil or virtuous? You have, it seems, decided that politics are on the level of theological doctrine.

Suppose either party wanted a 75% majority to be the norm for Congressional votes. I suppose you’d see Satan’s hand in that, too.

Kneel before God, Byz, not before the Congress.
It is not the rule it is the compromise with evil, the compromise will keep pro-life justices from the federal bench.

That is always wrong.

I would not see Satan’s hand in that and it wouldn’t happen as congressional votes are covered by the Constitution so there would need to be an amendment to make the change you bring up.

Well, we don’t kneel in our Church but I see what you are saying and I do bow before God. No where did I say that Congress is my deity. You need to read better,
 
40.png
ByzCath:
It is not the rule it is the compromise with evil, the compromise will keep pro-life justices from the federal bench.

That is always wrong.
Yet is is also wrong to lie.
 
40.png
katherine2:
Yet is is also wrong to lie.
Katherine the only reason they keep doing this is because the judges are pro-life,the democrats are the death party and if they do not let the few pro-lifers have a say they will have problems.:nope:
 
40.png
katherine2:
40.png
ByzCath:
It is not the rule it is the compromise with evil, the compromise will keep pro-life justices from the federal bench.
That is always wrong.
Yet is is also wrong to lie.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

And? What does that have to do with anything I said here?

Very strange how people love to throw out things that really have nothing to do with the part of the reply that they quoted.
 
40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
Katherine the only reason they keep doing this is because the judges are pro-life,the democrats are the death party and if they do not let the few pro-lifers have a say they will have problems.:nope:
I think that might be true about Priscilla Owen. Myers has no pro-life record but is anti-environment. Brown (a real nut job in my view) says the whole New Deal is unconstitutional. Saad is anti-labor and has ethics issues. He also has never supported pro-life.

You can criticize Democrats who opposed Owens if you like. But as I’m sure you know, I don’t particularly like the fact that some pro-life leaders have made craven political deals to merge the pro-life movement with anti-environmental and anti-labor special interests who want to rule the entire New Deal as unconstitutional and do so by dishonest political means.

Now, I’m sure there are some folks who post here who are quite happy to have all of their political agenda’s merged. There are others here who are admirably pro-life and have decided to girn and bear this.

But I don’t think anyone has the right to get on their holy high horse and say others of us are bad Catholics because we think this whole situation stinks.

I resent it. I think its cr#p. And I make no apologies for my views.
 
40.png
katherine2:
I don’t particularly like the fact that some pro-life leaders have made craven political deals to merge the pro-life movement with anti-environmental and anti-labor special interests who want to rule the entire New Deal as unconstitutional and do so by dishonest political means.
Brown does not “want” to rule the “New Deal” unconstitutional.

She can’t anyways as the “New Deal” is composed of hundreds, if not thousands, of laws and judicial decisions. PFAW and other radical groups have taken her comment regarding Justice Holmes dissent in Lochner (he wrote the constitution does not incorporate a specific economic doctrine) as meaning she would destroy the New Deal.

Fact is, Justice Holmes was wrong. He was writing a dissent after all. In addition, parts of the New Deal are unconstitutional. A farmer cannot grow grain on his own farm for the use of his family without being penalized by Congress? Where did the logic for that Wickard v Filburn decision come from?

Calling someone “anti-labor” or “anti-environment” simply because they do not see a justification in the constitution for the more onerous laws regarding both issues is mere left wing scare mongering. Many labor and environmental laws hurt both labor and the environment and trample upon our rights. Its not being “anti” anything. It is being for a better solution for all–one which respects property rights and the rights of the individual.

Justice Brown’s comments to the Federalist Society on these issues are here:

A Whiter Shade of Pale
 
40.png
David_Paul:
Brown does not “want” to rule the “New Deal” unconstitutional.

She can’t anyways as the “New Deal” is composed of hundreds,…
Thank you for yoru contribution. i suspect that if you and I had a fuller discussion on the points you raise we would find we have some fundemental political disagreements.

But would you not agree that a faithful Catholic could be on either side of those political disagreements?
 
40.png
katherine2:
But would you not agree that a faithful Catholic could be on either side of those political disagreements?
I certainly would agree! To my dismay, many of my Catholic brethren subscribe to the economic views of Dorothy Day and those more moderate. But there is plenty of justification for their position in Pope Leo XIII’s Rerum Novarum.

I prefer, of course, the earlier Pope Leo XIII: Quod Apostolici Muneris

But from what I see, the church allows a wide leeway.

I just ask for debate with less loaded language. Did you see N.O.W. blasted the confirmation of Justice Owen? Kim Gandy
said Owen is “anti-women.” Come on…

I just suggest those in favor of the left be careful. When you deal with PFAW and the ACLU you are not dealing with Catholics and not, for the most part, Christians. In fact, the leadership despises your faith. Same with MoveOn.org and many labor and environmental groups. Read the NEA resolutions for 2004.Nothing traditional Christian about them. And that is the largest, most powerful labor organization in America (and the largest in the world).

George Soros is, by far, the largest donor to liberal causes and the Democratic party in America. He funds the false flag operation “Catholics for a Free Choice”. That is so typical of what those fond of what the Democratic Party used to be must deal with today.
 
40.png
David_Paul:
To my dismay, many of my Catholic brethren subscribe to the economic views of Dorothy Day and those more moderate
I volunteered at the Catholic Worker when I was in high school and college. Always appreciate it when people mention Dorothy Day, even if they don’t accept Maurin’s and Day’s politics.
I just suggest those in favor of the left be careful.
I agree with this, but please don’t presume that we are fools. I am discreet in dealing with such organizations, even as I can support some of what each group does. However, Catholic rightists must be careful, too. The “Christian” evangelicals too many Catholics accept as allies have their own agenda that are often anti-catholic and in no way in our interests, especially in the long run.

Catholics of the left or the right both should watch their backs when dealing with others.
 
40.png
katherine2:
Thank you for yoru contribution. i suspect that if you and I had a fuller discussion on the points you raise we would find we have some fundemental political disagreements.

But would you not agree that a faithful Catholic could be on either side of those political disagreements?
Agreed, everything except abortion.
 
40.png
Hildebrand:
Here’s the short list:

Governor/Senator George Allen

Gov. Huckabee

Senator Frist

Governor Owens (if he runs)

There is also Gov. Pataki, McCain, etc
How about Sen. Brownback of Kansas?
I hear very good things about him.
 
40.png
David_Paul:
If Democrats don’t back out, the three judges the pro-choice “living constitution” side despise most will be confirmed. Janice Brown is more of an orginalist than Scalia or Thomas.

Owen and Pryor will never compromise on life.

Democratic Underground is NOT HAPPY.
I agree.

At first I was very unhappy but then it occurred to me:

We got the pro-lifers.

The Nuke opt’n is not completely dead.

This may be OK!
 
40.png
JamesD:
How about Sen. Brownback of Kansas?
I hear very good things about him.
So have I, yet I am adverse to voting a senator into a GOVERNING position unless he has experience with executive management.

Guilani managed NYC. Great on Security, but pro-choice, so he’s out for me.

Governors Owen and Pawlenty I like, but they may not be name-worthy yet.

Pataki, pro-choice. OUT.

Mit Romney has appeal, he’s been good on the stem cell issue, but has slid recently on abortion.

Senator Allen was the GOVERNOR of Virgina. He’s on my “A” list, because of how he’s been on the judge issue. Very good.

THE pick for me is GOVERNOR Jeb Bush. One can only hope!
 
40.png
jlw:
So have I, yet I am adverse to voting a senator into a GOVERNING position unless he has experience with executive management.

Guilani managed NYC. Great on Security, but pro-choice, so he’s out for me.

Governors Owen and Pawlenty I like, but they may not be name-worthy yet.

Pataki, pro-choice. OUT.

Mit Romney has appeal, he’s been good on the stem cell issue, but has slid recently on abortion.

Senator Allen was the GOVERNOR of Virgina. He’s on my “A” list, because of how he’s been on the judge issue. Very good.

THE pick for me is GOVERNOR Jeb Bush. One can only hope!
Senator George Allen is working tirelessly in the U.S. Senate to make Virginia and America a better place to live, learn, work and raise a family. A self-described “common sense Jeffersonian Conservative”, Senator Allen trusts free people and free enterprise.

Senator George Allen
  • Professional:
  • 2001 – Present 51st United States Senator from Virginia
  • 1994 – 1998 67th Governor of the Commonwealth
  • 1991 – 1993 U.S. Representative, elected in a special election
  • 1983 – 1991 Virginia House of Delegates
  • Personal:
  • Birth date: March 8, 1952
  • Family: Married, Susan
  • Three children, Tyler, Forrest and Brooke
  • Resides: Mt. Vernon, Virginia
  • Political Heroes: Thomas Jefferson, Ronald Reagan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top