Dealing with Anxiety

  • Thread starter Thread starter Michael_Mayo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael_Mayo

Guest
I may be wrong, but I have come to believe that the most effective way to deal with anxiety is to surrender. At least for me anxiety is related to trying to hold on to something, control, what I want, comfort, security, sometimes I am not even sure what. But the great lesson of St Francis was that if you claim no ownership (poverty) you have nothing to defend, nothing to lose, and nothing to fear. All that is left is the will of God and that is the only place we can really find any happiness and peace though it may scare us at first.

Peace
 
Glad that works for you.

But we aren’t supposed to give medical advice on here and anxiety disorders are real diagnoses. It would be best for people to speak with their psychologist/psychiatrist about what works for them.
 
How does one surrender to anxiety?
I think the OP is expressing the need to surrender unto God and the saints so that we might concern ourselves not with the selfish will of man, but that Divine Will which has brought humanity to be united under His Church. When we place our thoughts on God, there’s no room for worry. We must surrender our cross, which in this case is anxiety, and place our faith into the arms of the Blessed Lord and His Mother, that they will take care of everything.

Psychological disorders are excruciatingly hard to deal with and cope with. Prayer and acts of charity will frequent the amount of grace in our lives, and throwing up our possessions to God will enable us to see how present He truly is, every second of every minute of every hour of the day. So, one is not surrendering to anxiety - but rather surrendering the anxiety to God.
 
“So, one is not surrendering to anxiety - but rather surrendering the anxiety to God.”

I think that this is a very nice way of putting it, LoyalViews. 🙂
 
Glad that works for you.

But we aren’t supposed to give medical advice on here and anxiety disorders are real diagnoses. It would be best for people to speak with their psychologist/psychiatrist about what works for them.
I thought I was giving spiritual advise if any. But you are right in that emotional disorders can be very deep, at times even more physical than emotional or spiritual, chemical imbalance. But surrender to God (not to anxiety) can never do harm.
 
A seasoned worrier myself, I agree that the notion of surrender is and has been essential to keep myself from becoming overwhelmed by anxiety. Of course, we need to act as well. I think we need to do whatever we can to cope or deal with whatever might be our source of anxiety. When I was working, for instance - a major source of worry for me - I always prayed that I would plan well, respond well, and then leave it to God - surrender, as you say. This was often the only way I could fall sleep at night when the job was especially stressful.

In my case, I find that simplifying my life whenever possible is also vital if I am to stay on an even keel. When I take on too many projects, anxiety is sure to follow. True, there are times when we cannot always choose a simpler path, and it was certainly that way for me all through the years of school and work and raising my family. But it still seems like there are often little choices we can make to lessen anxiety, and we can certainly try to plan for a less stressful future, if prone to anxiety. Certainly too there can be times when we might need professional help for anxiety, and I think that accepting and acting upon this possibility is also a kind of surrender.
 
Glad that works for you.

But we aren’t supposed to give medical advice on here and anxiety disorders are real diagnoses. It would be best for people to speak with their psychologist/psychiatrist about what works for them.
This is considered medical advice? Seriously?🤷
 
OP, can you be more specific? How do you do this? I’m very interested.
 
I tend to agree with KendraDZ on this.

I have PTSD/generalized anxiety disorder. You don’t just surrender that - believe me, I’ve tried.

A lot of times anxiety comes and goes and is a normal part of life.

However, for people like me, we get anxious about things because we’ve been programmed to react a certain way in certain situations - and the situations haven’t existed in a long time, but we are still in “fight or flight” mode and that feeling comes in what most people would consider “normal situations”. Can you tell I’m starting to stress out and get anxious just thinking about how to describe it? We over-react a lot of the time because our body takes the old programming and runs with it, even though rationally, we can see that the situation is less stressful and doesn’t demand a “fight or flight” response.

There’s a lot more going on than just being a once in a while worrier.

Talking to Jesus helps, but it’s not the “end all be all” for most people in situations like mine.

God bless you, if Jesus ends up healing your anxiety issues that way - I’m not going to begrudge a miracle, but that doesn’t happen for most people. You actually have to do some work to get to a “better place” and feel better.
 
OP, can you be more specific? How do you do this? I’m very interested.
I think the old 'offer it up" adage describes it best. Quite often we might tell God that we surrender all, offer all. But unless there is a specific example or event it remains just a general intention. But when something very specific like a moment of anxiety, a frightening event, a worry or concern is offered it is far more meaningful.

An example is my need to fly next week. I have not flown since a couple of vertigo episodes. I was very anxious that cabin air pressure changes would kick in a disabling vertigo episode at 20,000. And that would only be the first flight of two to my destination traveling alone. It has helped to surrender it all to God, whatever happens. EVEN IF I get the vertigo, I am ok with it and will go with the flow of whatever happens as I have placed it in God’s hands.

I still hope and pray that it does not happen and I am taking every precaution I can think of, meclizine, ear plugs, chewing gum, but I am not as anxious about it.

I have not been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder or any other psychological problem but I have had some struggles with anxiety. This poverty of will and surrender of all to God has helped.

PTSD may very well be another matter entirely. I do not know.
 
What’s the worst that could happen? My mom had vertigo too, and although I’m no expert, it might help to mentally prepare for the worst as part of the surrendering process. What would happen if you suffered vertigo on the flight? Would you be embarrassed? Uncomfortable? Would you need help from someone around you or the flight staff?

Since I worry anyway, I always tried to think the situation through - expect the worst, and then be very relieved when it almost never happened. As an electrician, part of my job used to be energizing large pieces of electrical equipment for the first time. No matter how well we prepared, there was always the chance that something unforeseen might occur that would cause an explosion. Needless to say, this was a source of anxiety for me. After all the testing and preparation, there came a time when I had to trust in God and throw the switch. On the plus side, living with such danger was always a very good incentive for me to try to stay in a state of grace!
 
Yes, I have thought about the worse that could happen: I get dizzy up there at 20,000 feet and someone has to help me walk off when we land. Then I am stuck and probably can’t make my connecting flight. I would have to spend the night somewhere at the airport until I can walk. And then (and this would take some guts) fly again to my destination. Or see if Amtrak goes there. Last resort is rent a car.
 
I think the old 'offer it up" adage describes it best. Quite often we might tell God that we surrender all, offer all. But unless there is a specific example or event it remains just a general intention. But when something very specific like a moment of anxiety, a frightening event, a worry or concern is offered it is far more meaningful.

An example is my need to fly next week. I have not flown since a couple of vertigo episodes. I was very anxious that cabin air pressure changes would kick in a disabling vertigo episode at 20,000. And that would only be the first flight of two to my destination traveling alone. It has helped to surrender it all to God, whatever happens. EVEN IF I get the vertigo, I am ok with it and will go with the flow of whatever happens as I have placed it in God’s hands.

I still hope and pray that it does not happen and I am taking every precaution I can think of, meclizine, ear plugs, chewing gum, but I am not as anxious about it.

I have not been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder or any other psychological problem but I have had some struggles with anxiety. This poverty of will and surrender of all to God has helped.

PTSD may very well be another matter entirely. I do not know.
I have anxiety flying beccause I don’t like being in confined spaces.
I touch the plane and say a prayer for the pilots as I board.
I try to have a good book or magazine or crossword puzzle book to
occupy my time. Sometimes I still pray for the pilots once we are in the air. I had a really bad experience with my ears once with pressure, but I was fine once we landed. Good luck.
 
I have always had a hard time with Prayer of Abandonment by St. Ignatius of Loyola

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.
You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.
Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace.
That is enough for me.

Am I willing to accept being someplace I do not want to be doing something I do not want to do?

Am I willing to accept the maladies of human experience, Alzheimer’s, intellectual and emotional disorders?

My job? my property, my health, my family and reputation?

Until we are ready to surrender all these we will always have some anxiety and fear.

I am beginning to believe that this kind of total surrender is the real measure of holiness.
 
I have always had a hard time with Prayer of Abandonment by St. Ignatius of Loyola

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.
You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.
Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace.
That is enough for me.

Am I willing to accept being someplace I do not want to be doing something I do not want to do?

Am I willing to accept the maladies of human experience, Alzheimer’s, intellectual and emotional disorders?

My job? my property, my health, my family and reputation?

Until we are ready to surrender all these we will always have some anxiety and fear.

I am beginning to believe that this kind of total surrender is the real measure of holiness.
That is a beautiful prayer.
 
I have always had a hard time with Prayer of Abandonment by St. Ignatius of Loyola

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.
You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.
Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace.
That is enough for me.

Am I willing to accept being someplace I do not want to be doing something I do not want to do?

Am I willing to accept the maladies of human experience, Alzheimer’s, intellectual and emotional disorders?

My job? my property, my health, my family and reputation?

Until we are ready to surrender all these we will always have some anxiety and fear.

I am beginning to believe that this kind of total surrender is the real measure of holiness.
Anticipation is almost always worse than whatever it is I am worried about, in my experience.

The problem is fear of the unknown, which when coupled with an overactive imagination, conjures up all sorts of dread.

Am I ready to surrender all of those good things you mention? I hope that if and when it ever happens, I will be. To consider losing it all at once is a bit overwhelming, but I like to think that I am ready to accept whatever comes. This in no way stops me from praying that the Good Lord will see fit to allow me to enjoy the good for as long as possible!
 
+JMJ+

My own way of overcoming anxiety is John 16:33.

I have told you these things that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

First off, anxiety is a fear of future misfortunes, as stated by St. Thomas Aquinas (source). And all fear, also according to St. Thomas, has three requirements (source):
  • There is an “imagination of a future evil which is either corruptive or painful” that can either be barely resisted, or insurmountable.
  • This evil is in the near future, and the nearer the future, the worse the fear.
  • There is a hope for escape from this evil.
This last requirement is why there is a big change in the attitude of someone who is walking to his execution: whereas before he was frightened of dying, he would be then seen calmly walking to his death, precisely because he has no more chance of escape.

And this is one way how John 16:33 saves me from anxiety: God Himself saying there is no escape from the troubles of this world. “In this world you will have trouble.” I am frankly amazed how just this one sentence from Scripture wipes away fear.

But that is not all. John 16:33 also says: “…that in Me you may have peace…I have overcome the world.” Thus, God also says that the evils that I face, which by myself I can barely or not even able to overcome, He will overcome for me, if I remain in Him.

And therefore, by keeping John 16:33 in my heart, anxiety melts away, and thus I cannot help but “be of good cheer”!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top