Death Penalty Tossed Over Bible Verses

• Thread starter Thread starter stumbler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The article also said:

"The conservative Christian group, ‘Focus on the Family’ said, ‘Today’s ruling confirms that the judicial branch of our government is nearly bereft of any moral foundation.’

How about that? A decision to spare a man’s life shows that judges are bereft of any moral foundation. Real Christians, those people. That spirit just makes you want to abandon Catholicism and become an Evangelical, the real Christians.

40.png
Richardols:
I inferred that he was not a Catholic from his statement that the ruling was demeaning to people of faith. IMO, even those Catholics who would still tolerate the imposition of the death penalty, don’t say that failure to do so is demeaning to them personally.

It’s not “Catholicese.” 🙂
I see your point, generally speaking. Nevertheless, there is nothing I can imagine that couldn’t fly out of the mouth of someone who calls themselves a Catholic, particularly if the person in question is a politician in front of a microphone. In that case, all bets are off.

40.png
Richardols:
With all due respect to the Cardinal, I’ll take the Pope’s “prudential judgment” over a theologian’s (howsoever famous he is) “prudential judgment” any time.
Well, at least you agree it is a prudential judgment and not binding.

40.png
fix:
Well, at least you agree it is a prudential judgment and not binding.
Yes, you are correct, but I wonder about Catholics who seem so anxious to emphasize that what the Pope says is only his prudential judgement when it comes to the death penalty or war.

I’d think that when the Pope and bishops worldwide very nearly unanimously speak clearly and repeatedly in opposition to the death penalty and to war, the Catholic conscience should treat the matter with utmost seriousness rather than try to mitigate or diminish what the Pope says.

First of all I am glad that the jurors did not go to the Koran for help determining whether or not they should put to death another infidel.

Secondly, I would hope that no Catholic juror, when selecting jurors, would perjur himself when lawyers ask them if they had any religious convictions (for example the Pope) which would effect their decision on the death penalty.

Thirdly Jesus tells his Church that if Her hand is Her undoing She should cut it off and throw it into Gehenna. Throughout the scriptures God uses the terminology of cutting off a portion of the body of people to putting someone to death. I would hope that the jurors looked at Jesus will on when to put people to death as well as Old Testament. Better the Church cut off a portion of Her body and cast it into Gehena than to have the whole body of the Church fall into Gehenna.

Please visit Throwing Stones

**NAB LEV 20 **

**The LORD said to Moses, “Tell the Israelites: Anyone, whether an Israelite or an alien residing in Israel who gives any of his offspring to Molech shall be put to death. Let his fellow citizens stone him. I myself will turn against such a man and cut him off from the body of his people: for in giving his offspring to Molech, he has defiled my sanctuary and profaned my holy name.”****NAB MAT 5:29 **

If your right eye is your trouble, gouge it out and throw it away! Better you lose part of your body than to have it all cast into Gehenna. Again if your right hand is your trouble, cut it off and throw it away! Better to lose part of your body than to have it all cast into Gehenna."

NAB NUM 15:30

"But anyone who sins defiantly, whether he be a native or and alien, insults the LORD, and shall be cut off from among his people
. Since he has despised the word of the LORD and has broken his commandment, he must be cut off. He has only himself to blame." The Sabbath-breaker. While the Israelites were in the desert,** a man was discovered gathering wood on the sabbath day**. Those who caught him at it brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly. But they kept him in custody, for there was no clear decision as to what should be done with him. Then the LORD said to Moses, "This man shall be put to death; let the whole community stone him outside the camp." So the whole community led him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD had commanded Moses.
NAB MAT 18:5

"Whoever welcomes one such child for my sake welcomes me. On the other hand, it would be better for anyone who leads astray one of these little ones who believes in me, to be drown by a millstone around his neck, in the depths of the sea.
What terrible things will come on the world through scandal! It is inevitable that scandal should occur. Nonetheless, woe to that man through whom scandal comes! If your hand or foot is your undoing, cut it off and throw it from you! Better to enter life maimed or crippled than be thrown with two hands or feet into endless fire. If your eye is your downfall, gouge it out and cast it from you! Better to enter life with one eye than be thrown with both into fiery Gehenna.

NAB EXO 21:23

"But if injury ensues, you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,… "​
NIV EXO 31:14

“Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it must be put to death; whoever does any work on that day must be cut off from his people .’” NIV JOB 27:8

For what hope has the godless when he is cut off, when God takes away his life?NAB WIS 18:23

For when corpses had already fallen one on another in heaps, he stood in the midst and checked his anger, and cut off the way to the living.

NAB EZE 14:13

Son of man, when a land sins against me by breaking faith, I stretch out my hand against it and break its staff of bread, I let famine loose upon it and cut off form it both man and beast…

Peace in Christ,

Steven Merten

www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

40.png
Richardols:
Yes, you are correct, but I wonder about Catholics who seem so anxious to emphasize that what the Pope says is only his prudential judgement when it comes to the death penalty or war.

I’d think that when the Pope and bishops worldwide very nearly unanimously speak clearly and repeatedly in opposition to the death penalty and to war, the Catholic conscience should treat the matter with utmost seriousness rather than try to mitigate or diminish what the Pope says.
Actually, I am against the death penalty. My point is some want to hold the faithful to a standard Mother Church does not ask.

40.png
Richardols:
Life imprisonment seems pretty just to me.

I can see that Owens isn’t a Catholic - he hasn’t a clue about the Pope’s position on the criteria for imposition of the death penalty. How does failing to kill someone demean Christians?

Thank God we’re Catholics!
_
The ruling was demmeaning to people of faith because they discarded the decision of the jurors based on the fact that they used the bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back