M
MrPizzaDude
Guest
In the old testament it says we are not to make graven images, or bow down to them. How do catholics justify making there images of Jesus? I also see some protestants with images of jesus
Why do you make a distinction between ANY graven image and a graven image of Jesus?In the old testament it says we are not to make graven images, or bow down to them. How do catholics justify making there images of Jesus? I also see some protestants with images of jesus
The center of Jewish worship, the temple/tabernacle, was carved images on a box and everyone bowed down to it.In the old testament it says we are not to make graven images, or bow down to them. How do catholics justify making there images of Jesus? I also see some protestants with images of jesus
Over the altar of our church is a large crucifix. When I go up to receive the sacrament I bow down ( kneeling is difficult for me). I am not kneeling to that crucifix, but to that which it represents and portrays; the very Christ, His body and blood, I receive under the forms of bread and wine.In the old testament it says we are not to make graven images, or bow down to them. How do catholics justify making there images of Jesus? I also see some protestants with images of jesus
Some good answers already.In the old testament it says we are not to make graven images, or bow down to them. How do catholics justify making there images of Jesus? I also see some protestants with images of jesus
The Ark of the Covenant had two golden Cherubim on it. Would that be graven?In the old testament it says we are not to make graven images, or bow down to them. How do catholics justify making there images of Jesus? I also see some protestants with images of jesus
Over the altar of our church is a large crucifix. When I go up to receive the sacrament I bow down ( kneeling is difficult for me). I am not kneeling to that crucifix, but to that which it represents and portrays; the very Christ, His body and blood, I receive under the forms of bread and wine.
In no way does this violate the 1st commandment.
Jon
i have actually thought of this before. but then God didn’t command Solomon to make the temple to his specifics, he just said build me a house. but i honestly odn’t know. not that it really matters anymore, Jesus gave the church power to b[BIBLEDRB]ind and loose, If peter could pronounce in things such as circumcision which was a covenant given to Abraham[BIBLEDRB], or undo the food laws, i really don’t see the issue. [/BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]Playing devil’s advocate a little here…Concerning the supposed contradiction between the prohibition on graven images…and God’s inclusion of them in various places…
One could make the argument that the commandment as given is…“You shall not make for yourself…”. In the cases where it is commanded, it is not “making for yourself”, but simply following the command of the Lord.
Thus the prohibition on US choosing to make something is different than GOD choosing to have something made…
Understand that I am not disputing the Church here…but I do think this would be a fair argument.
Thoughts?
Peace
James
As a kid, I went to a Lutheran parish built in the 1850’s. Lots of stained glass - tells a story.A simple example would be, if you were to look in your house, I am sure there are pictures of your family, parents, grandparents… etc. The pictures symbolize people you love, respect and look up to, yet they are not the real person. The same goes for statues and images at church. We do not worship the statue, but see it is as a symbol for who they represent.
I think it important to remember that Peter didn’t undo these things on his own. There was much debate on the matter. It was the Church in council who did this.i have actually thought of this before. but then God didn’t command Solomon to make the temple to his specifics, he just said build me a house. but i honestly odn’t know. not that it really matters anymore, Jesus gave the church power to bind and loose, If Peter could pronounce in things such as circumcision which was a covenant given to Abraham, or undo the food laws, i really don’t see the issue.
Practically those images are very helpful.in the 90s ,i read an article on an Indiianaplois newspaper about a convenient store robber.he was about to pull the trigger at the owner’S head,when he suddenly turn his head and saw the statue of virgin mary.he stopped and fled.the owner attributed the presence of statue as having save his life…also,when i was a kid,i was about to steal some cash from my mother purse,but i got scared ,as there was statue of jesus close to it.if it wasnt there,im sure i did it,being mischievous,then!