Defending the Rosary

  • Thread starter Thread starter EphelDuath
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you’re saying when you pray the rosary your mind never wanders to other things? Well you are a better prayer than me.
Not often, no. Personally I enjoy it, so I’m paying attention. However, I understand that it isn’t for everyone.
 
Surely you know that a rosary is five decades, so I presume what you really mean is that we should say five different prayers on five different events. Is that what you mean?
No. Forget about the beads.
1 Thank you Jesus for the scourging You took
You will forever be my King.O Holy Son of the Almighty God
2 Oh Jesus, the Light of my way, the everlasting truth, my Savior and Advocate. Shine your mercy upon me.
3Etc
4Etc
I just made those up but feel free to use them
 
No. Forget about the beads.
1 Thank you Jesus for the scourging You took
You will forever be my King.O Holy Son of the Almighty God
2 Oh Jesus, the Light of my way, the everlasting truth, my Savior and Advocate. Shine your mercy upon me.
3Etc
4Etc
I just made those up but feel free to use them
Thanks.

So, if I say these words during my prayer time each day, I will be better off than if I pray a rosary meditating on the Annunciation, the Visitation, the Birth of Jesus, the Presentation in the Temple, etc?

Is that right?
 
If you were meditating on the life of Jesus why wouldn’t you just say Oh Jesus thank you for your death on the Cross etc,etc.
And what’s so wrong about “Bless us, Lord and these gifts”? those words’ meaning doesnt change one bit no matter how many times they are repeated.

The Lord’s Prayer and majority of the Hail Mary is taken from Scripture, which is inspired of the Holy Spirit. Jesus prayed the Psalms, which are set prayers. He prayed the Shema, which is a set prayer. The whole Book of Psalms are set prayers, and inspired by the Holy Spirit himself.

Pray, tell, what is so unbiblical about set prayers when the Bible is full of them?

When you say, O Jesus, thank you for your death on the Cross, is that not a set prayer? After you thank Jesus for his death on the Cross, will you dare say that same prayer again?
 
No. Forget about the beads.
1 Thank you Jesus for the scourging You took
You will forever be my King.O Holy Son of the Almighty God
2 Oh Jesus, the Light of my way, the everlasting truth, my Savior and Advocate. Shine your mercy upon me.
3Etc
4Etc
I just made those up but feel free to use them
And you have just told us to use set prayers of your own composition. This only shows that even you believe that set prayers aren’t wrong.
 
Thanks.

So, if I say these words during my prayer time each day, I will be better off than if I pray a rosary meditating on the Annunciation, the Visitation, the Birth of Jesus, the Presentation in the Temple, etc?

Is that right?
How could you meditate on something AND say a prayer to someone else at the same time anyway.
You would have to be either thinking of the mysteries OR saying a Hail Mary. Not both at the same time right?
 
And you have just told us to use set prayers of your own composition. This only shows that even you believe that set prayers aren’t wrong.
No. Pray from your heart. Cry out to Jesus. Tomorrow use a different prayer. Then it will always be fresh.
 
As Father Corapi says “at the very center of every Hail Mary is JESUS!” Her role is to Guide us to Jesus as I’m sure has been stated many times. Every Hail Mary of the Rosary is the clearest lens we have of focusing on Jesus, and every aspect of His life. It is an amazing way of becoming assimilated in every aspect of the life of Christ. The closer I grow to God the more difficult the sorrowful mysteries become to pray because I become increasingly aware of my sinfulness and that is what put Him there.

By the way Fr. Corapi is going to give a reflection on the Luminous mysteries next Sunday. He already said of the Baptism, “when Christ entered the waters of baptism, He baptised the waters of Baptism!” Beautiful!

I love her so much. She’s my Mom.
 
How could you meditate on something AND say a prayer to someone else at the same time anyway.
You would have to be either thinking of the mysteries OR saying a Hail Mary. Not both at the same time right?
That’s a good question. I felt that same hesitancy when I started saying the rosary. I discovered, though, that it really isn’t hard to pray the words while thinking about the mysteries.
 
No. Pray from your heart. Cry out to Jesus. Tomorrow use a different prayer. Then it will always be fresh.
So you will no longer thank Jesus for his death on the Cross? That’s a beautiful prayer: “Thank you Jesus for your death on the cross.” Why not say it again and again? Can you thank him enough? It will lose its meaning only if you let it.

When will you accept that the Bible supports repeated prayer? We have already shown you that it does.
 
How could you meditate on something AND say a prayer to someone else at the same time anyway.
You would have to be either thinking of the mysteries OR saying a Hail Mary. Not both at the same time right?
No, I can do both at the same time. That is how the rosary works…I thought you were already familiar with this.

Sometimes, my wife and I say the “Scriptural Rosary” which includes verses from the life of Christ that are read before each Hail Mary. Then I think about the verse while saying the Hail Mary aloud.

Do you ever watch TV and talk on the phone at the same time? The “TV” is the video of the life of Christ in my head while I repeat the Hail Mary which I can say with no concentration whatsoever.

Again, I thought you said you had said thousands of Hail Mary’s…did no one teach you to say the rosary properly?
 
No. Pray from your heart. Cry out to Jesus. Tomorrow use a different prayer. Then it will always be fresh.
I pray the rosary from the heart.

But why can’t we do both, scripted prayer and spontaneous prayer? Why should we have to choose one over the other? Aren’t there enough hours in the day for both forms of prayer?
 
No. Pray from your heart. Cry out to Jesus. Tomorrow use a different prayer. Then it will always be fresh.
It’s not really a question of either/or. Both spontaneous prayer and formal prayer have their place.

For example, do you pray the Lord’s Prayer at all?
 
That’s a good question. I felt that same hesitancy when I started saying the rosary. I discovered, though, that it really isn’t hard to pray the words while thinking about the mysteries.
Is it like you are picturing Jesus carrying the cross while saying Hail Mary full of grace?
 
So you will no longer thank Jesus for his death on the Cross? That’s a beautiful prayer: “Thank you Jesus for your death on the cross.” Why not say it again and again? Can you thank him enough? It will lose its meaning only if you let it.

When will you accept that the Bible supports repeated prayer? We have already shown you that it does.
Your prayer life is your own.
I know how mine was every night when I said a complete rosary.
I couldn’t wait to get finished.
And nobody was forcing me to do it either.
It was a form of Godliness.
 
Is it like you are picturing Jesus carrying the cross while saying Hail Mary full of grace?
Often I do imagine the actual scene of the mystery, trying to picture how the event must have appeared. That makes each mystery sort of “come to life” in my mind.
 
No, I can do both at the same time. That is how the rosary works…I thought you were already familiar with this.

The “TV” is the video of the life of Christ in my head while I repeat the Hail Mary which I can say with no concentration whatsoever.

?
No concentration whatsoever?
Then what are you accomplishing? Matt6:7
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top