Defending Traditional Marriage Without Alienating?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmaj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to defend traditional marriage between one man and one woman without thoroughly alienating all those who are defending the right of homosexuals to marry? It feels like there must be a caring way to do this. Seems like so many in society (even some Catholics!) believe that if you don’t endorse same-sex marriage you must be horribly prejudiced against homosexuals - and perhaps even other races/creeds as well. I don’t feel that’s true at all. I strive to love my neighbor and avoid prejudice in any form, but I cannot condone same-sex marriage. This has become a difficult issue for discussion among my friends, and even some relatives.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially in this charged political climate leading up to November! Thanks.
Somewhere down the line, someone will probably feel bad or be alienated.

Look at it like this: Jesus alienated the Jewish and Isreali elite at the time, and all He did was represent the Truth.

One thing I think that works well is using secular, Constitutional arguments. I like the Bible and I think it’s the fundamental source for a prosperous, successful civilization (it helps to be the Truth), but to answer the question posed on here “why are losing the marriage argument”, quoting Scripture doesn’t always help.

Also, I would keep in mind that a lot of people at the forefront the gay rights movement are straights who are just dying inside to flash their colours of “look at me! I’m so tolerant!”.

The best thing you can do is be objective and speak the Truth. A lot of GLBTQ folks will at least respect that, and some actually share our views for traditional marriage.

As with all progressive causes, the empty accusations of bigotry, racism, islamophobia, homophobia are always there in their back-pocket.

When you don’t have fact and Truth on your side, emotional reactions are all that is left.
 
It’s a tough problem, and it isn’t just for frustrated people who have SSA, it’s also tough for Hetero people, married and unmarried who are told by the world in every form of medium that sex makes us happy.

Sex doesn’t make us happy. Lack of it doesn’t make us sad. Something else leads us these ways. The adulterer thinks he or she will be happier. The manlooking for a prostitute or surfing porn sites thinks he’s going to be happy, happier.

And they are all big lies.
Well on one level I agree with you, but that is not what I meant to be addressing. I was really talking about the desire for relatedness, commitment, etc that one finds in marriage. I am not an advocate for SSmarriage because I think it is a sacrament reserved for traditional marriage. I do support some kind of legal bond that would protect health and property rights, provide for insurance etc. I know of people who live together chastely so I was not really talking about sexuality. Of course in many cases that is part of the equation. Just saying . . .
 
Oh, one more comment, then I am “outa here” for a while. No we cannot expect, nor should we, that the Church will change its stance on SSA/homosexuality. That does not mean that we cannot do outreach to these people. Yes we can hope to lead them to a chaste life, but not change the fundementals of who they are. We need to walk lovingly with them as I am convinced Christ does if they ask.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top