Defrocked Priest sentenced for raping Boy

• Thread starter Thread starter Kevin_Walker
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin_Walker

**" Boston - **Defrocked priest Paul Shanley, a central figure in the Boston Archdiocese clergy sex abuse scandal, was sentenced Tuesday to 12 to 15 years in prison for raping a boy repeatedly in the 1980s, sometimes in a church confessional.

‘It is difficult to imagine a more egregious misuse of trust and authority’, Judge Stephen Neel said in imposing the term. But he turned aside a prosecutor’s request for a life sentence.

Stanley, 74, once known for being a hip “street priest” who reached out to troubled children and homosexuals, was convicted last week of two counts each of child rape and indecent assault and battery on a child.

He will be eligible for parole after serving two thirds of his sentence, or 8 years. He was sentenced to 10 years probation.

‘He used his collar and he used his worshipped status in that community’, Rooney said. ‘There has been no remorse shown on the part of the defendant. There has been no accceptance of responsibility.’ "

Kevin Walker said:
**" Boston - **Defrocked priest Paul Shanley, a central figure in the Boston Archdiocese clergy sex abuse scandal, was sentenced Tuesday to 12 to 15 years in prison for raping a boy repeatedly in the 1980s, sometimes in a church confessional.

‘It is difficult to imagine a more egregious misuse of trust and authority’, Judge Stephen Neel said in imposing the term. But he turned aside a prosecutor’s request for a life sentence.

Stanley, 74, once known for being a hip “street priest” who reached out to troubled children and homosexuals, was convicted last week of two counts each of child rape and indecent assault and battery on a child.

He will be eligible for parole after serving two thirds of his sentence, or 8 years. He was sentenced to 10 years probation.

‘He used his collar and he used his worshipped status in that community’, Rooney said. ‘There has been no remorse shown on the part of the defendant. There has been no accceptance of responsibility.’ "

Gee Kevin…why don’t you start another thread on this subject and spew a little more gossip???:mad:

40.png
Annunciata:
Gee Kevin…why don’t you start another thread on this subject and spew a little more gossip???:mad:
Do you realize what this scandal has done to Boston? And did you realize I am personally acquainted with one of those Jesuit “street priests” from the early 70s who is now on trial for sexual abuse? (NO, I wasn’t abused, but two of my buddies were).

What you call gossip, I call pertinent and relevant information. :ehh:

Kevin Walker:
Do you realize what this scandal has done to Boston? And did you realize I am personally acquainted with one of those Jesuit “street priests” from the early 70s who is now on trial for sexual abuse? (NO, I wasn’t abused, but two of my buddies were).

What you call gossip, I call pertinent and relevant information. :ehh:
Well Kevin, I see that you are a nice Boston boy and It just pains me to see more of this stuff being rubbed into the Church…especially by one of our own… I know some of these monsters and I know some who were abused by them…:o I just don’t see why you think it’s a good thing to talk about it any further…
WE NEED TO PRAY!!!
Bless you,
Annunciata
p.s. I’m from MA too…

I do know how you feel. I have family who live in MA. Family who stopped going to church. Stopped putting money in the basket. And, voted for Kerry!!!:eek:

Annunciata–I think it is just fine to talk about it here among fellow Catholics. We need to keep the dialogue open and never forget so that no other Catholic ever becomes a victim of this type of crime again. I feel your pain. It is a pain we must bear.

40.png
cove:
I do know how you feel. I have family who live in MA. Family who stopped going to church. Stopped putting money in the basket. And, voted for Kerry!!!:eek:

Annunciata–I think it is just fine to talk about it here among fellow Catholics. We need to keep the dialogue open and never forget so that no other Catholic ever becomes a victim of this type of crime again. I feel your pain. It is a pain we must bear.
MA sent him to my Diocese…

[/quote]

That is pretty much my feeling on it… It is all so heartbrakeing…

40.png
cove:

Cove,
I think ALL concerned have gotten the message…I just think that by keeping this wound open the Church will not heal…it has to HEAL!!!

40.png
gilliam:
Kevin’s right
Gilliam, please refer to my last post
40.png
Annunciata:
Cove,
I think ALL concerned have gotten the message…I just think that by keeping this wound open the Church will not heal…it has to HEAL!!!

40.png
Annunciata:
Cove,
((((((HUG)))))) 🙂

I hope that helps.

[/quote]

The only good thing about that is it helped in the statutes of limitations for the MA man who was abused by him…

quote=cove 🙂

I hope that helps.
[/quote]

Thanks…I needed that…🙂

40.png
AmyS:
That is pretty much my feeling on it… It is all so heartbrakeing…
((((((HUG))))))

I know it is heartbreaking but we will prevail along with the Church.

40.png
Annunciata:
The only good thing about that is it helped in the statutes of limitations for the MA man who was abused by him…
say what?? :confused:

40.png
Annunciata:
Cove,
I seriously don’t think the Church has come to grips with the issue yet. Maybe with the next Pope. But not from all indications I have seen, have they even admitted to the real systemic problems.

40.png
gilliam:
I seriously don’t think the Church has come to grips with the issue yet. Maybe with the next Pope. But not from all indications I have seen, have they even admitted to the real systemic problems.
What I keep wondering is, was this really all a product of the 1960s or does it really go way back? The Church has been accused of these things for centuries, but it is unlikely any of it would come to light until after some of the stigma lifted after the 60s. For example, the story of the Christian Brothers’ school for orphans in Australia predated the 1960s by a couple decades. The history Francis Parkman mentioned accusations of pederasty against the Jesuit fathers who explored America, rumors related to the English apparently by Indians. But it seems like the Church wants to point to the 60s sexual revolution…if that is bogus then this sore will never truly heal.

I

From what I saw, there was definately a difference with those in religious life who were trained in the 60s and after and those who came before them. Many of those who were trained after WWII but before the 60s concerned themselves with salvation. Many in the 60s and after concerned themselves with what they could get out of religious life for themselves.

Completely different set of moral foundations.

Just my 2-cents from what I saw.

40.png
caroljm36:
say what?? :confused:
Because Shanley left the Boston Archdiocese and went to CA. it interupted the statutes of limitations here in MA thereby making it possible to prosecute him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back