M
monorail
Guest
We’ve been married about 4 years and have a 2-year-old. We met through a Catholic dating service and used to be active in the church together, until our son came along. I’m a stay-at-home mom.
There are three big problems for me.
It feels so unfair. I have all these friends who are sexually active outside of marriage and it stings me because we did it right – we waited to have sex with each other until we were married – and we still don’t get to have any sort of sex life.
We don’t touch each other, even when we sleep in the same bed. I give him a goodbye kiss in the mornings, and that’s the only time all day we’ll make any sort of body contact.
I feel like I live with a slob of a roommate whom I don’t really know all that well but have to wash his underwear anyway.
My husband is a good man. He is kind and he is a good provider. I try to bear that in mind and give him time to unwind each day. But I feel like I am never “off.” I’m always watching my son or cleaning up. Maybe that is the province of the stay-at-home mom. But because of everything I talked about, I have been crying every day. It’s been building up for years (and we haven’t even been married that long) and I’m so unhappy.
I think we would have made good friends, but we are terrible marriage partners. Honestly, I have been fantasizing about divorce for at least a year now but I can’t go through with it because I can’t work. I have tendonitis which makes it painful to use a computer, and my degree is in engineering, for which being able to use a computer is rather necessary. So I rely on him for income. If I could figure out how to live on my own (with my son), I would get a civil divorce. I know I’d never date or get married again. But my son needs a daddy so I guess it’s a good thing I’m stuck.
I’ve read the science. I read Dr. Popcak’s book on exceptional marriages. I know this is a bad marriage with all kinds of red flags.
I have tried at times to be the perfect wife in every way except the sex – stopped nagging, took care of all the little chores without complaint, increased touch, etc. – in hopes that it would come back around to me. It was exhausting and he didn’t seem to notice.
I don’t have any close friends. I’m very lonely. I’ve been eating a lot (my trigger is when I’m sad or stressed) and have gained ten pounds since February.
I cry every day alone because he gets mad at me when I get upset. I have a history of depression, and I remember when we were dating, he was wonderful and comforting if I was sad about anything… he’s completely different about that now.
We don’t pray together anymore. We’ve even stopped going to church. (I have so much trouble keeping my toddler quiet at church that it has become meaningless. The cry room is a joke.) He never wants to go to Confession with me. I feel lost without my religion and I don’t know how to get back.
Please, anyone, words of comfort or advice? Please be gentle. I know I am painting an unflattering portrait of my husband, and it is only one side of the story and he would surely say I am not the greatest wife in the world, but at the moment I am just mired in depression and can’t think straight enough to be objective.
There are three big problems for me.
- The following is something I can’t talk to anyone – my friends or family – about, which makes it particularly hard to deal with. I have no support network. I’m cloaked in anonymity on the internet so this is the first time I’ve talked about it.
It feels so unfair. I have all these friends who are sexually active outside of marriage and it stings me because we did it right – we waited to have sex with each other until we were married – and we still don’t get to have any sort of sex life.
We don’t touch each other, even when we sleep in the same bed. I give him a goodbye kiss in the mornings, and that’s the only time all day we’ll make any sort of body contact.
- He has a TERRIBLE memory. I do too, but I keep a to-do list, which he won’t do. This results in me being a nag, which makes both of us incredibly resentful.
- It seems like he’s never engaged with my son and me. He doesn’t eat dinner with us because he doesn’t like my cooking, but if I beg him to get off the computer (he’s always reading political blogs) he’ll come downstairs and sit with our son and me while we eat, and then… he’ll start reading a magazine. If I ask him to watch our son in the bath while I’m taking a shower, he’ll start reading the Kindle and won’t budge while the boy is screaming in the tub trying to get out and throwing toys and splashing water on the floor. My son likes to get in the bathtub when I’m with him but not when my husband is, I think because I’m engaged with him.
I feel like I live with a slob of a roommate whom I don’t really know all that well but have to wash his underwear anyway.
My husband is a good man. He is kind and he is a good provider. I try to bear that in mind and give him time to unwind each day. But I feel like I am never “off.” I’m always watching my son or cleaning up. Maybe that is the province of the stay-at-home mom. But because of everything I talked about, I have been crying every day. It’s been building up for years (and we haven’t even been married that long) and I’m so unhappy.
I think we would have made good friends, but we are terrible marriage partners. Honestly, I have been fantasizing about divorce for at least a year now but I can’t go through with it because I can’t work. I have tendonitis which makes it painful to use a computer, and my degree is in engineering, for which being able to use a computer is rather necessary. So I rely on him for income. If I could figure out how to live on my own (with my son), I would get a civil divorce. I know I’d never date or get married again. But my son needs a daddy so I guess it’s a good thing I’m stuck.
I’ve read the science. I read Dr. Popcak’s book on exceptional marriages. I know this is a bad marriage with all kinds of red flags.
I have tried at times to be the perfect wife in every way except the sex – stopped nagging, took care of all the little chores without complaint, increased touch, etc. – in hopes that it would come back around to me. It was exhausting and he didn’t seem to notice.
I don’t have any close friends. I’m very lonely. I’ve been eating a lot (my trigger is when I’m sad or stressed) and have gained ten pounds since February.
I cry every day alone because he gets mad at me when I get upset. I have a history of depression, and I remember when we were dating, he was wonderful and comforting if I was sad about anything… he’s completely different about that now.
We don’t pray together anymore. We’ve even stopped going to church. (I have so much trouble keeping my toddler quiet at church that it has become meaningless. The cry room is a joke.) He never wants to go to Confession with me. I feel lost without my religion and I don’t know how to get back.
Please, anyone, words of comfort or advice? Please be gentle. I know I am painting an unflattering portrait of my husband, and it is only one side of the story and he would surely say I am not the greatest wife in the world, but at the moment I am just mired in depression and can’t think straight enough to be objective.