Deviled eggs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ac_claire
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey the Bunny Shaped one you can get on clearance after Easter! Buy a dozen to have on hand for Bridal shower gifts :eek:.

We have the rubbermaid ones that fits nicely into that thermal casserole dish/cake pan thing so we can take them on picnics and to pot-lucks and not worry about them (I put several little blue ices in with them).
I have the Rubbermaid one, too, although I usually use it for crafts or decorating sugars when I’m baking!

And is it just me, or has anyone noticed that a lot of the “formal” ones have an ODD number of depressions (I say “a lot”, but to be honest, I’ve never seen one with an EVEN number of depressions)? I was at Kohl’s this weekend doing some shopping and I happened to find one (snowman shaped :rolleyes:) that had 13 depressions. Puzzled, I called my SIL (who has a pretty cut glass one) and asked her how many hers held. 15. So I told her about the one I saw for sale and said, “Does it seem strange to you that these egg dishes only hold an odd number of deviled egg halves?” She thought about it and said, “I guess they figure you’re going to eat at least one… you know, just to try them out and make sure they turned out okay.”

I don’t know what’s scarier… the snowman shaped egg dish or the fact that the manufacturers know us that well! :eek:

And, NO, I did NOT buy the snowman egg dish!
 
There IS a reason for the odd shaped ones. When I learned to make deviled eggs, I was taught that you always throw out (for me that means give to the kid or the dog) at least one of the “whites”. This allows you to pipe or spoon fill the deviled/dressed eggs with a more generous hand.
 
there is a reason for the odd shaped ones. When i learned to make deviled eggs, i was taught that you always throw out (for me that means give to the kid or the dog) at least one of the “whites”. This allows you to pipe or spoon fill the deviled/dressed eggs with a more generous hand.
really???
 
0.o I had no idea there was such a thing as a deviled egg dish… maybe us Canadians aren’t as ‘in’ to them? 😛 The things you learn on CAF… 👍 But now I want to try making some of my own… 😃
Do not have one…but have seen them in stores…so we do get them in Canada:D
 
There IS a reason for the odd shaped ones. When I learned to make deviled eggs, I was taught that you always throw out (for me that means give to the kid or the dog) at least one of the “whites”. This allows you to pipe or spoon fill the deviled/dressed eggs with a more generous hand.
I didn’t know that. That makes sense, because last night I almost ran out of the filling. I had to go borrow a bit from the ones I’d already filled to fill up the last little egg half lol.
 
I didn’t know that. That makes sense, because last night I almost ran out of the filling. I had to go borrow a bit from the ones I’d already filled to fill up the last little egg half lol.
I am enlightened! Of course, I know the last egg half always was a little skimpy on filling… and since there was never enough room for it anyway… quality control check! Yum!
 
I am enlightened! Of course, I know the last egg half always was a little skimpy on filling… and since there was never enough room for it anyway… quality control check! Yum!
:extrahappy:
Brenda V.
 
I saw a covered plastic egg carrier in Walmart today. It had 20 openings in 5 straight rows of 4. Or 4 straight rows of 5, if you turned it the other way! 🙂 Not the least bit decorative, but it did hold a lot of nice eggs.

I make mine with Hellman’s mayo (the only kind worth eating), yellow mustard and celery salt. No sweetness allowed! Can garnish with paprika or a slice of stuffed green olive or a sprig of fresh dill.

Betsy
 
Yum, deviled eggs! I have a tip to make it easy clean up and easy filling. Put your yolks, etc., in a zip bag, zip it, and mash in the bag until smooth. Then you snip a corner and squeeze the contents out to pipe into the egg halves.
 
I am a deviled egg purist. This is THE deviled egg recipe:

6 hard boiled eggs
1/4 c mayonnaise
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
paprika

Boil the eggs. I use this method: cover eggs in cold water 1 in above eggs, bring to rapid boil over high heat, take off the heat, cover, and let stand 18 minutes. Immediately transfer eggs to cold water to stop the cooking. Cool and peel.

Halve the eggs lengthwise, remove the yolks into a mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in mayo, mustard, and vinegar. Mash/stir to remove all lumps.

Put the yolk mixture into a ziplock baggie and push into one corner. Cut tip off bag and pipe into the cooked egg whites. Dash paprika on top.
👍👍

I use cider vinegar instead of white. And I have been known to sneak in a little dry mustard if I don’t taste enough “bite” in the one I “test”. (In my family, this is how you deal with the Last Little Egg With Very Little Filling.🙂 ).
 
Real mayo

Classic yellow mustard

pickles, chopped fine (you pick, dill, bb or sweet)

salt or pepper to taste.

paprika

The amounts will vary by the eggs and how creamy you want them, experiment 🙂
This gets my vote. 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top