P
Pieman333272
Guest
I suffer from scrupulosity and intrusive thoughts relating to sin, especially lust. I know that just having the thought or even being aroused isn’t a mortal sin, but that one must consent to it with full knowledge. However, there is a case where I am unsure that has been causing me much trouble. I remembered a very heinous form of lustful thought that troubled me but I dismissed (only the description of it) to bring up to my psychotherapist (we were practicing exposure therapy for my scrupulosity), and then an image of it came to me; I was disgusted by the image but rather than turn away I tried to look at it objectively, like with my therapy but on my own. I did not delight in the thought (as in, I did not enjoy doing this or have a “would if I could” attitude), but eventually I lost nerve and started focusing on something else, although it flashed back briefly and I shook it off. I noticed I was a little aroused after too. I am worried I consented to the thought and am only doubting it now due to the horrible nature of the thought. How can I know if I consented to this thought?