Did I just commit false oaths?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maathw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maathw

Guest
When I woke up in the morning I prayed to God that I would pray the rosary by 12 in the noon but I forgot to pray! It was around 2:30 pm when I realized that I forgot to pray the rosary. So when I realized that I forgot to pray I checked on my phone for a little bit then I immediately prayed the rosary. Did I just commit a mortal sin? Please help me
 
Last edited:
What? Imagine: putting a time frame on prayer when God lives outside of time. Hmmm…

Recipe for failure. Habits of prayer are always good. Unless they must be done at a certain time, or in a certain way. Pray when you can. Pray when you are able. Leave the clock out of it, unless you want to do a 3:00PM devotion or similar.

God knows your heart. He knows what you are made of. If he could not forgive all of your sins (and this was not a sin, but a mistake) you would have been called to judgment long ago. Same with me.

Really.
 
I forgot to pray!
No sin. Sin is a deliberate choice. Forgetting is due to human frailty.
So when I realized that I forgot to pray I checked on my phone for a little bit
So you delayed praying after the grace given to you which prompted you to remember you’re earlier prayer to God?
then I immediately prayed the rosary.
So you did actually pray as you told God you would. You kept your part even if after remembering you were a little tardy in praying.

I would think this would be venial (the delaying to pray as soon as you had remembered), because you chose an inferior matter (checking phone for a little bit) instead of choosing the better - which was to pray the rosary.

I also think you may want to review your requests to God in these types of things. Instead, perhaps you could set an alarm on your phone to prompt you? (I have my phone set to remind me to pray at various times throughout the day).
 
Not only that you didn’t sin. I believe, GOD even appreciates your effort in finding time to pray. He looks at the heart and He knows you have pure intention. For all you know, you might even be rewarded for keeping to your promise. So don’t be too harsh on yourself. Keep calm and be at peace. GOD bless!
 
Last edited:
No, it was not a false oath. Just being a human prone to error. Now, if you made said oath with the intent to not keep it, than that would be blatantly bearing false witness to God and most definitely a sin.
 
do you have scruples?
I also wondered if you have scruples. Your first post suggests that you may have scruples, because a normal person wouldn’t worry that forgetting to pray for 2 hours would be a “mortal sin”. It would be better if you spoke to a priest and didn’t post these kinds of questions here.
 
Same here regarding possible scruples.

Op, please seek out spiritual counseling
 
The problem is not in the forgetting but in the promising. Perhaps you shouldnt make empty promises and then when you pray, it really is a free gift to God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top