Did Pope Francis Say That?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SirStephen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
SirStephen,

i do not know know what pope francis said. but it is falliable.
but i do know what the infalliable ccc says.
2510 The golden rule helps one discern, in concrete situations, whether or not it would be appropriate to reveal the truth to someone who asks for it.
2511 “The sacramental seal is inviolable” (CIC, can. 983 § 1). Professional secrets must be kept. Confidences prejudicial to another are not to be divulged.
 
I actually regret posting this question on this forum. CAF used to reasonably good at being able to generate factual responses to factual questions. It seems that over the past few years it has become overrun by narrative enforcers who have no ability to answer the questions presented, but just to comment on them without actually contributing to the knowledge base.

Mary, (and others) I am asking this question in this forum for my own edification for my own purposes. I am not looking for advise on a question I did not ask. A good lawyer knows NEVER to ask a question you don’t know the answer to. As an element of my own due diligence on the question, this is one forum where I’d hoped I might a response - if one is available.

The question is not for the 96% who don’t know but rather to the 4% who might.
Actually, there was another ? about having a subforum about what the Pope “REALLY SAID” One of the moderators said today that this is best addressed in the apologetics thread and apparently they have a weekly update of what the Pope says although I have not checked it out yet.

Maybe apologetics would help you get your answer.

God bless,
Mary.
 
I just checked out the apologetics site and on a “Sticky note” is the weekly Francis thread.
It’s closed for comment but covers what was released and said by week.

Mary.
 
To actually answer the OP’s question (;)), I believe this is what your friend was referring to:

Pope to youth: shake things up, bring Church to the streets

Pope Francis Urges Catholics to Make a Mess

I did a word search of all of the addresses for that trip that Francis made that are transcribed on the Vatican website, and none of these quotes appear there. It seems that these were some off-the-cuff comments he made and not part of the regular addresses. If I can find a full transcript, I’ll post it. So far, I have only seen snippets.

However, it somewhat defies common sense to infer from these comments that Francis is encouraging priests to disobey their bishops. That’s not what he is talking about at all. He is encouraging Catholics to get out there and start working, even if it means they will “make a mess” and make mistakes. Francis has said repeatedly that he would rather have a Church that goes out to the world and makes mistakes than a Church that is closed in on Herself and getting ill from the stagnant air. I think that is key to understanding Pope Francis’ approach to evangelization. It is why he will give interviews to people even at the risk of being misquoted and misunderstood. Proclaiming the Gospel isn’t always neat and tidy work.

EDIT: I found it. The Archdiocese of Miami has an unofficial translation of the full exchange on their website:

miamiarch.org/ipp.asp?op=Blog_1372611220406

This led me to correctly identify the official Vatican translation of the address:

w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/speeches/2013/july/documents/papa-francesco_20130725_gmg-argentini-rio.html

Note, in the official Vatican translation, they translate Pope Francis saying that he hopes there will be “noise”, not a “mess”.
 
To actually answer the OP’s question (;)), I believe this is what your friend was referring to:

Pope to youth: shake things up, bring Church to the streets

Pope Francis Urges Catholics to Make a Mess

I did a word search of all of the addresses for that trip that Francis made that are transcribed on the Vatican website, and none of these quotes appear there. It seems that these were some off-the-cuff comments he made and not part of the regular addresses. If I can find a full transcript, I’ll post it. So far, I have only seen snippets.

However, it somewhat defies common sense to infer from these comments that Francis is encouraging priests to disobey their bishops. That’s not what he is talking about at all. He is encouraging Catholics to get out there and start working, even if it means they will “make a mess” and make mistakes. Francis has said repeatedly that he would rather have a Church that goes out to the world and makes mistakes than a Church that is closed in on Herself and getting ill from the stagnant air. I think that is key to understanding Pope Francis’ approach to evangelization. It is why he will give interviews to people even at the risk of being misquoted and misunderstood. Proclaiming the Gospel isn’t always neat and tidy work.

EDIT: I found it. The Archdiocese of Miami has an unofficial translation of the full exchange on their website:

miamiarch.org/ipp.asp?op=Blog_1372611220406

This led me to correctly identify the official Vatican translation of the address:

w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/speeches/2013/july/documents/papa-francesco_20130725_gmg-argentini-rio.html

Note, in the official Vatican translation, they translate Pope Francis saying that he hopes there will be “noise”, not a “mess”.
👍:tiphat:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top