T
Tony_the_mad
Guest
There is a fair amount of Paul that many protestants have trouble with. (The term protestant covers way too broad of a variety of beliefs to say any thing that covers them all.) Paul is quite specific about supporting celibacy, the fires of purgatory, the True Presence in the Eucharist, the importance of our actions/inaction in our salvation, etc. Many Protestants have a tendency of picking only the parts of Paul that they like, usually in Romans, and ignore the stuff that they don’t like.
Not that Catholics don’t have their weaknesses. I won’t claim to represent all Catholics, but I confess that I have a hard time reading Romans, because of its dry and often incomprehensible philosophy. Whereas I Corinthians soaring poetry and passion makes it an easy read.
It is very difficult to break out of the protective bubble of our own beliefs. I am certain that Calvinists can learn a lot by looking at all of Augustine’s writings. But we have to be very careful about being to critical. I am certain that we all have bubbles of our own as well.
Not that Catholics don’t have their weaknesses. I won’t claim to represent all Catholics, but I confess that I have a hard time reading Romans, because of its dry and often incomprehensible philosophy. Whereas I Corinthians soaring poetry and passion makes it an easy read.
It is very difficult to break out of the protective bubble of our own beliefs. I am certain that Calvinists can learn a lot by looking at all of Augustine’s writings. But we have to be very careful about being to critical. I am certain that we all have bubbles of our own as well.