Dipping the host in the wine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tsering
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This wouldn’t be LeMoyne college in Syracuse is it? If it is, the Cathedral downtown Syracuse has both a Saturday and a Sunday evening Mass at 5:10pm, and the Basilica on Erie Blvd. has a Latin (EF) on Sunday evenings at 4pm.
I know. I don’t get out of class until 6:30 pm on every other Sunday. Saturday is out too, as I’m in class until 6:30 pm also. I just found out last night though that the college in my town (Cortland) has a chapel that our priest holds Mass at 8:00 pm on Sundays - I think I will try to make it to that one.

Peace
 
This wouldn’t be LeMoyne college in Syracuse is it? If it is, the Cathedral downtown Syracuse has both a Saturday and a Sunday evening Mass at 5:10pm, and the Basilica on Erie Blvd. has a Latin (EF) on Sunday evenings at 4pm.
Yes, it is LeMoyne college. Been there?
 
I feel like my frustration is getting the best of me on this one. Please pray for me.
 
There are many reasons why a parish might chose intinction and it doesn’t mean the reasons are financial.

I used to attend daily Mass at a parish where intinction was the normal way of distributing Communion. The priest used an intinction set and no EMHCs. 👍

Using intinction requires a smaller amount of wine be consecrated. This may be desirable when the number of communicants varies greatly or is unpredictable.

Also, not every country has the indult for Communion in the hand. Intinction is a very effficient manner of disributing Communion under both species when everyone is already receiving on the tongue anyway.

And some priests and others just like the idea of consuming both species at the same time rather than sequencially.
👍
Pretty much optimum, but I haven’t seen it at very many parishes.
 
Is it okay when I go up, and do not take the host (I’m a candidate), but instead I make a cross with my two arms for a blessing, and the priest making the blessing on my forehead still has the host in the hand he’s making the blessing with while tiny crumbs are falling on my forehead?

Peace
Yes, I’m coming into the thread kinda late, but I would like to point out that the church has asked that you not receive a blessing instead of receiving communion. Rather, you should stay in your pew and pray.

If you would like the official document, please see the attached scan of a letter from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments (often abbreviated as CDWDS), the office in Rome which has authority over the liturgy. Feel free to PM or post if you have questions.
 
Yes, I’m coming into the thread kinda late, but I would like to point out that the church has asked that you not receive a blessing instead of receiving communion. Rather, you should stay in your pew and pray.

If you would like the official document, please see the attached scan of a letter from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments (often abbreviated as CDWDS), the office in Rome which has authority over the liturgy. Feel free to PM or post if you have questions.
If it’s what the Church officially teachings, then it’s not difficult to accept (but obviously it’s hard to tell what this is in practice from seeing various different things). I will bring it past my RCIA teacher who instructed me that it was okay for me to walk up to the priest or deacon as a non-Catholic candidate, cross my arms on my chest, receive a blessing and walk back to my pew. None of them have had any difficulty blessing me.

So you are saying one of two things, my RCIA teacher doesn’t know what he’s talking about, or he’s behind the times.

Peace
 
Unfortunately, this has been the only one I can attend every other Sunday in the area to fulfill my obligation. What frustrates me is that I am finding another Church - the Catholic Church. It’s unfortunate that I have to swim through serious abuses to actually find it. I think the unbelief and seeming lack of obedience in a prominent - if the not the sole - Catholic college of our diocese which trains much if not most of it’s ministers - has a chapel mass run by it’s Jesuit priests who allow serious abuses. I feel like I got sandpaper abrasions on my heart, and my wife is having a hard time deciding to join the RCC not because of the teaching, but because of the abuses and attitudes of those who don’t really give a rip - which shows their unbelief - especially towards the sacraments. :banghead:

Peace
I’m sorry. I can practically feel your frustration myself when reading about it. I can’t fix it. I know that it is even worse for you when someone who is not committed to becoming Catholic sees it, because you tend to feel at the same time responsible for it in some confused way, but also of course you have no power to change it. (At least that is how I have felt on similar occasions.)

Here is all I can offer for comfort:
  1. It’s getting better. Slowly but surely, as those priests who take their identity more from the culture of the 60s and 70s than from the actual teachings of the church retire, more and more young priests believe wholeheartedly that the Eucharist IS Jesus, and behave accordingly.
  2. Whether or not a priest is faithful to the teachings of the Church about how the Mass should be conducted, he is still capable of confecting the Eucharist. When you attend Mass there, Jesus is present to you in the Eucharist, even if you can’t receive Him yet.
  3. It sounds to me (obviously all I can do is guess) like the matter of the bread to be consecrated is probably valid, but illicit. In some ways, it would be more comforting to feel that it was invalid matter, because then it would not be Jesus that was being treated that way. However, it does mean that an actual valid (if illicit) Mass is taking place.
  4. You can join your pain at the treatment of Christ with His own pain on the cross and offer it up for the seminarians in your diocese, that they may receive wholeheartedly all true teachings of Jesus Christ and His Church, and that any teachings that are in error will roll off their minds and souls like water off a duck’s back.
From a practical standpoint, you won’t always be having classes until 6:30, so you can look forward to the time when you are free to choose freely where you attend Mass.

God bless you!

–Jen
 
If it’s what the Church officially teachings, then it’s not difficult to accept (but obviously it’s hard to tell what this is in practice from seeing various different things). I will bring it past my RCIA teacher who instructed me that it was okay for me to walk up to the priest or deacon as a non-Catholic candidate, cross my arms on my chest, receive a blessing and walk back to my pew. None of them have had any difficulty blessing me.

So you are saying one of two things, my RCIA teacher doesn’t know what he’s talking about, or he’s behind the times.

Peace
Your RCIA leader is probably just misinformed, as many people are on this issue (including myself, until a couple months ago). Honestly, I can’t blame people for not knowing, because this isn’t really well known. The problem is when people know and ignore it (I’m not saying your RCIA leader is doing this, just that some people sometimes do after hearing it).

I would print the letter and bring it to him, and explain. That will be the most clear way of doing things.
 
Your RCIA leader is probably just misinformed, as many people are on this issue (including myself, until a couple months ago). Honestly, I can’t blame people for not knowing, because this isn’t really well known. The problem is when people know and ignore it (I’m not saying your RCIA leader is doing this, just that some people sometimes do after hearing it).

I would print the letter and bring it to him, and explain. That will be the most clear way of doing things.
My heart is to be faithful. Thanks for the (name removed by moderator)ut. I will certainly print it and bring it to him.

Peace
 
It has been my experience that Jesuit colleges are not very orthodox.
There is a liberalism in the Jesuit line, unfortunately. I have no idea where it arose but I see the result in the Jesuit college preparatory my sons have attended. I would not be shocked to see any of these things, except the woman doing the homily, as it is an all-boys’ school.

I am not sure if there are any truly orthodox Catholic schools in the United States. I mean strict orthodox, the teaching of true Church teachings, not just the social justice/liberation theology type of rot.

The college level unfortunately seems very bad - look at how Notre Dame honored Obama, the proudly most pro-abortion President in history.
 
My heart is to be faithful. Thanks for the (name removed by moderator)ut. I will certainly print it and bring it to him.

Peace
Your OP made me wince - and I hope to goodness you find a church that doesn’t include these violations.

Trust me, the Church in general is faithful and knows better than this.

😊
 
Tsering

You will be a very well informed candidate if you keep persuing the truth. And catholic as well as you go thorugh life. Remember only deacons and priest can give homilies.
 
There is a liberalism in the Jesuit line, unfortunately. I have no idea where it arose but I see the result in the Jesuit college preparatory my sons have attended. I would not be shocked to see any of these things, except the woman doing the homily, as it is an all-boys’ school.
I heard this before from an old Catholic friend, but aren’t half the priests in the world Jesuits? Isn’t it one of the most popular orders after Franciscans? When listening to Fr. Mitch Pacwa on EWTN, he doesn’t seem liberal at all and he’s Jesuit.
I am not sure if there are any truly orthodox Catholic schools in the United States. I mean strict orthodox, the teaching of true Church teachings, not just the social justice/liberation theology type of rot.
There has to be. What about Steubenville?
The college level unfortunately seems very bad - look at how Notre Dame honored Obama, the proudly most pro-abortion President in history.
I do know that LeMoyne is loyal in the fact that they have a stance against abortion.

Peace
 
It definitely wasn’t perforated.
Well, no, the concelebration hosts are not ‘perforated’ they are scored before baking so that they are easier to break. The lines would be invisible to someone in the pews – they’re not really visible from a few feet away.

Does it look like either of the attached photos? If so there is a way to break them and keep the crumbs from flying.
 
Your OP made me wince - and I hope to goodness you find a church that doesn’t include these violations.

Trust me, the Church in general is faithful and knows better than this.

😊
I trust you. I’m at the current moment a little frustrated with the confusion, especially with the liturgy since this is the most foreign aspect about Catholicism to me coming from a charismatic baptist protestant background, even though the Mass is the most biblical church service I’ve ever been to. But like I said in another forum, the only beef I have against the Catholic Church is myself - a sinner. If you had seen my whole life, you would probably do more than just wince. Lord have mercy.
 
Well, no, the concelebration hosts are not ‘perforated’ they are scored before baking so that they are easier to break. The lines would be invisible to someone in the pews – they’re not really visible from a few feet away.

Does it look like either of the attached photos? If so there is a way to break them and keep the crumbs from flying.
No, it didn’t look like these. It looked more like a big round matza. worldofjudaica.com/oyvey/jewish-food/matzah-history/
Thank you.

Peace
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top