Discovery Channel's New Low

  • Thread starter Thread starter torch621
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha oh dear! This is the stupidest sounding show I’ve ever head about.

Ironically, someone from “Common Sense Media” gave the show 3/5.
 
Urgh! The only discoveries I have made in recent years watching the Discovery Channel are related to how low people are willing to sink to get ratings.
 
whenever I think we’ve arrived at the lowest possible moral (and intellectual) standard ever, someone always proves me wrong.
And that someone is usually on the Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, or the History Channel. Occasionally, that someone is on Nat Geo.

Seriously, I don’t know why those channels even pretend to be educational anymore. Thank God for the internet. At least I can still find educational programming on Youtube or various documentary hosting web sites.

And, really? Did I just say I find educational programming on YouTube? That’s something I wouldn’t have thought I’d be saying a few years ago! It’s true, though. In fact, a series of lectures on Catholicism that we stumbled upon helped bring my husband back to the Church and is what inspired me to also attend. What a strange world we live in when Discovery and TLC are all fluff TV and YouTube is helping educating people!
 
All “reality shows” are garbage. They are designed to cater to the voyeuristic side of people.
 
Is it possible to get worse than that? And as someone else pointed out, the have the guts to call themselves “educational”. This is pathetic and even more pathethic the people who sign up to appear in this ****** show.
 
:rotfl:

I… No, this show isn’t even worth commenting on. Nope.

I remember when they used to show actual documentaries. About science. Remember that? But no, apparently people would rather have another survival show… Except that this one includes copious amounts of nudity! 😛

Just one more reason to stop watching TV. I seriously think it’s an outdated medium. Think about it- they’re not making these shows because they’re reflecting our culture any more. They’re making stuff for pure shock value, because they’re desperate for viewers. 🤷
 
All “reality shows” are garbage. They are designed to cater to the voyeuristic side of people.
Yep. I got curious and watched the pilot episode of “Siberia” just to see what it was all about and I don’t usually watch reality shows. After the second show came on, I knew it was all fake when the host came back to tell the camp that one of their members had died and he offered them $5000 if they wanted to leave. What gave it away was his face. I could tell he was acting. Such blimey!
 
I remember the great nature shows from when I was a kid. When that National Geographic theme song came on you knew it was going to be something dramatic and amazing.

Then when we first got our expanded cable channels a few years ago, I couldn’t wait to surf through channels like Discovery, etc. And I was crestfallen. Disappointed. Deflated. I couldn’t believe the low quality, dumbed-down content that was passing for nature documentaries these days. And with commercial after commercial after commercial.

Sadly, I’ve kind of gotten used to it. 😦
 
Personally, I think it sounds like a lot of fun! 😃

OTOH, I be doing such an adventure with my wife and not filming it for a worldwide audience.
 
I remember the great nature shows from when I was a kid. When that National Geographic theme song came on you knew it was going to be something dramatic and amazing.
Yeah, even the National Geographic channel has sunk to the same low. Poligamy USA, anyone? Pullleeeze!
 
At least they still have SOME good programming (How It’s Made, Mythbusters, Tanked on Animal Planet, etc.)
 
All “reality shows” are garbage. They are designed to cater to the voyeuristic side of people.
I wouldn’t go that far. IMO, reality shows are only good for a year or two and then they go stale. Case in point, Ice Road Truckers, after 2 years in Alaska, it got old. There are some very good and educational reality shows out there, see Last American Cowboy that aired 3 years ago that followed 3 Montana ranch families from calving to weaning.

Earlier this year, I stumbled upon a marathon showing of a reality show on NatGeo that followed the lives of young Amish men who left their world for the mainstream, totaly fascinating to watch.

Alaska State Troopers is cool to watch as well.
22 minutes of commericals in a span of an hour :eek:
 
Yep. I got curious and watched the pilot episode of “Siberia” just to see what it was all about and I don’t usually watch reality shows. After the second show came on, I knew it was all fake when the host came back to tell the camp that one of their members had died and he offered them $5000 if they wanted to leave. What gave it away was his face. I could tell he was acting. Such blimey!
Just so you know, Siberia was a drama and not an actual reality show.
 
I have never watched that program, are the cast members really nude? :eek:

Is that an essential part of the show., surely not! Or are they just tittilating the audience to get ratings?
 
All “reality shows” are garbage. They are designed to cater to the voyeuristic side of people.
I disagree.

Some are really good.

Deadliest Catch, at the least the early seasons, was seriously good.

Top Chef was another fantastic reality show. You also can’t deny that the Amazing Race was some good TV.

They were exciting and fun to watch…and you could learn something while watching them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top