Discovery Channel's New Low

  • Thread starter Thread starter torch621
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never watched that program, are the cast members really nude? :eek:

Is that an essential part of the show., surely not! Or are they just tittilating the audience to get ratings?
I checked out the show out of curiosity (I’m into survivalist type stuff). Yes, they are nude, but breasts and genitals are blurred out. I do think it adds a realistic element to the survivalist reality shows; after all, many of the primitive tribal groups live with little to no clothes.
 
I checked out the show out of curiosity (I’m into survivalist type stuff). Yes, they are nude, but breasts and genitals are blurred out. I do think it adds a realistic element to the survivalist reality shows; after all, many of the primitive tribal groups live with little to no clothes.
Which is probably why the show got made in the first place. You got the voyeuristic thing, the survivalist thing, and it’s scary in a way. I mean, we’re so used to clothing and equipment (armor etc) that the idea of being in a survivalist situation naked makes us feel scary vulnerable.
 
We all know that when the cameras turn off it’s “Clothed and Paid”
 
I checked out the show out of curiosity (I’m into survivalist type stuff). Yes, they are nude, but breasts and genitals are blurred out. I do think it adds a realistic element to the survivalist reality shows; after all, many of the primitive tribal groups live with little to no clothes.
A critic was made to the nakedness aspect of the show on the sense like it is a survival show, as if the first thing someone loses on a plain crashing in the middle of the jungle or during a ship.sinking are the clothes. I agree totally in that. The nakedness is not realistic at all. I have yet to see an African tribe or Indians that live in the middle of the jungle that live naked. They all cover their bottoms and actually, there are quite a good numbers of primitive Indians (look at the ones that live in the middle of the Amazon.basin) who live in the middle of the jungle that are pretty much dressed from.head to toe precisely because they are living in an environment full of ticks, fleas, insects where the last thing you want to do there is to be naked. So no, it has nothing to do with real survival. Also the fact that they put a man and a woman, come on, they are obviously doing for the “wow a man and a woman naked”. Why they didn’t do two men or two women together, that right there denotes they are playing with the sexuality factor and exploiting nakedness.
 
Which is probably why the show got made in the first place. You got the voyeuristic thing, the survivalist thing, and it’s scary in a way. I mean, we’re so used to clothing and equipment (armor etc) that the idea of being in a survivalist situation naked makes us feel scary vulnerable.
And do you really believe they are actually scared when they have an entire group of camera men very well dressed and with lots of equipment right in front of their faces following them everywhere they go?
 
The nakedness is not realistic at all. I have yet to see an African tribe or Indians that live in the middle of the jungle that live naked. They all cover their bottoms and actually, there are quite a good numbers of primitive Indians (look at the ones that live in the middle of the Amazon.basin) who live in the middle of the jungle that are pretty much dressed from.head to toe precisely because they are living in an environment full of ticks, fleas, insects where the last thing you want to do there is to be naked. So no, it has nothing to do with real survival.
Actually, some of the more primitive tribes are completely naked. Some of the South Amercian tribes are , such as the Zo’e. The very primitive tribes in the Andaman Islands (Jarawa and Sentinelese) also are naked. There are various of tribes that have very minimal “clothing” (maybe something covering part or all of their genitals), especially those in South America and New Guinea.

FWIW, during the show, they generally cover up as they settle in.
Also the fact that they put a man and a woman, come on, they are obviously doing for the “wow a man and a woman naked”. Why they didn’t do two men or two women together, that right there denotes they are playing with the sexuality factor and exploiting nakedness.
Actually, the “shock” at being naked is a function of modern society. I realize that show is probably playing of that to an extent. If I was in that situation, I could care less that a woman, or man, was naked.
 
Actually, some of the more primitive tribes are completely naked. Some of the South Amercian tribes are , such as the Zo’e. The very primitive tribes in the Andaman Islands (Jarawa and Sentinelese) also are naked. There are various of tribes that have very minimal “clothing” (maybe something covering part or all of their genitals), especially those in South America and New Guinea.

FWIW, during the show, they generally cover up as they settle in.

Actually, the “shock” at being naked is a function of modern society. I realize that show is probably playing of that to an extent. If I was in that situation, I could care less that a woman, or man, was naked.
But even the zo’e are not fully naked as men wear the ruwai and women also wear a small.piece, and if you want to add that they are from head to toe (just like every tribe living in the jungles in Latin america) soaked in some.paste.that comes from.trees that acts as a repellent to bugs and many other things/animals which means they are not out there in the jungle with bare skin and bare foot.

You cannot use the argument that the survival is more realistic due to nakedness based on a handful of tribes that wear only a ruwai because those native tribes are not “surviving” those tribes are thriving in the environment where they have learned to live for millions of years. These tribes use a million tools and do real hunting with weapons everyday and using mixtures from trees and collecting fruits and cotton, where is all that is nakedness is to male it real. A girl there got sick salmonella and got IV drips, do you think that happens between the Zo’e or any amazonian tribe? Then they have one of the shoes advertised as swimming with sharks and there are not even sharks in that area. The show has nothing to do with reality and the naked issue is just to exploit the idea of a man and a woman fully maked,.o want to see it.
 
But even the zo’e are not fully naked as men wear the ruwai and women also wear a small.piece,
That’s like saying you’re not naked if you have nail polish.

And with regard to the other tribes I mentioned? They walk around buck naked.
You cannot use the argument that the survival is more realistic due to nakedness based on a handful of tribes that wear only a ruwai because those native tribes are not “surviving” those tribes are thriving in the environment where they have learned to live for millions of years.
I’m not making the argument that it is more realistic, but I would make the argument that it is more difficult, since it requires further adaptation…and a very difficult adaptation at that.
 
No chance of a wardrobe malfunction … or …

is there EVERY chance? :hmmm:

This gives the “Discovery” Channel a whole new way of being perceived. That “learning” thing can only bring in pedestrian ratings compared with … other interpretations of “Discovery”.

Those men who “only read Playboy for the articles …” will likely rationalize:

“I only watch it to see the novelty of a woman who does not obsess about clothes!” :doh2::nope:
 
And do you really believe they are actually scared when they have an entire group of camera men very well dressed and with lots of equipment right in front of their faces following them everywhere they go?
Not the shows contestants, no, but the people watching imagine themselves naked and in a survival situation and that is where the fear comes in. Similar to watching a scary movie. the whole “if that were me naked out there…” thing is part of the appeal to TV watchers.
 
That’s like saying you’re not naked if you have nail polish.

And with regard to the other tribes I mentioned? They walk around buck naked.

I’m not making the argument that it is more realistic, but I would make the argument that it is more difficult, since it requires further adaptation…and a very difficult adaptation at that.
More than being difficult it makes the contestants prone to serious injury. It is not about a more difficult adaptation is about that the show is putting contestant at serious risk of injury (one girl gets salmonella, the other one gets her breast cut sliced open, the other gets a fracture etc) in real survival no one with serious injuries is going to survive, so this is not about real survival and adaptation, this show is about drama and attracting viewers because of the naked people.

And the producers of the show never said that the reason of the nakedness was to make it difficult, the producer of the show said that the reason was to make it more realistic and with the most similarities to a real survival.experience, that is what I am talking originally. Because the producers of the show say that being naked makes it real which is the dumbest justification for having the contestants naked as clothes don’t magically disappear during an air crash.

And the ruwai covers the genital area that is why I don’t consider them.being fully naked. I am not familiar with the other tribes but my entire point is that it is probably a handful the ones that are fully naked and they are not surviving, and it doesn’t make sense with what the producers are saying.
 
And the ruwai covers the genital area that is why I don’t consider them.being fully naked.
It doesn’t cover the genital area. It’s just a small piece that is placed on the shaft. Everything else is completely visible.
I am not familiar with the other tribes but my entire point is that it is probably a handful the ones that are fully naked and they are not surviving, and it doesn’t make sense with what the producers are saying.
Actually, the Andaman tribes are believed to have been around for about 60,000 years, which are amongst the oldest tribes on Earth. And the Sentinelese may very well end up being the last primitive tribe on Earth, given their extreme isolation and extremely violent behavior to outsiders. And they walk around buck naked. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top