Divine Mercy Sunday Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter lakotak
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lakotak

Guest
If a person has not committed any mortal sins and goes to Mass and Communion each day, are they still required to go to confession in order to receive the special graces grated on Divine Mercy Sunday?
 
Yes confession is part of the promises in the private revelation. Yes you are to go to confession.
 
If a person has not committed any mortal sins and goes to Mass and Communion each day, are they still required to go to confession in order to receive the special graces grated on Divine Mercy Sunday?
Yes.

Can be during the week before though, that’s what st.faustina did
 
Yes, but several priests have told me as long as you have been to confession this lent (and are still in a state of grace) then that is sufficient. Holy Communion and a veneration of the Image of Divine Mercy much occur on the Feast itself.
 
If a person has not committed any mortal sins and goes to Mass and Communion each day, are they still required to go to confession in order to receive the special graces grated on Divine Mercy Sunday?
Yes, but it doesn’t have to be that day. I believe that it can be be withing a week or two before or after.
 
Yes, but it doesn’t have to be that day. I believe that it can be … before or after.
“For practical reasons, confession may take place before the Feast”

“Saint Faustine and the Divine Mercy” - Fr. (Dr) Andrew Witko (Krakow) 2003
Divine Mercy Publications.

(he was asked by St.Pope John Paul II personally to write on the subject)

(NB Such is regarding the Feast in terms of the Promises not regarding the Indulgence from the Church - that is a different matter)
 
I’m fond of the eight days before or after rule myself. But this stipulation is not set in stone. In that past the Marians, who are the chief propagators of the Divine Mercy Devotion, suggested an 8 day time frame before or after the feast of Divine Mercy.

Confession is one of the greatest gifts Jesus gave us. The red rays signify the Eucharist from which Souls take their nourishment, and the white (pale) rays are for baptism and confession which keeps souls clean and pure.

Here is a good: Q&A on the D.M. Feast:

feastofmercy.net/qanda.shtml
 
I’m fond of the eight days before or after rule myself.
See note above.

It seems that Confession really ought to happen on the day of the Feast or Prior - in terms of the private revelation.

In terms of the indulgence from the Church -that it different. Two different things.
 
See note above.

It seems that Confession really ought to happen on the day of the Feast or Prior - in terms of the private revelation.

In terms of the indulgence from the Church -that it different. Two different things.
I think it’s debatable. I might be mistaken, but I"m thinking for example that the Marians on EWTN for D.M. Sunday don’t mention the D.M. Promise of Jesus. They only speak of the plenary indulgence.
 
I believe it’s likely valid for either of the two options: indulgence or promise.

I posted a q&a link above but will look on the Marians Website to see what all they say…

This is one of the most comprehensive papers that is not short but not super long either. I recommend it:

marian.org/assets/pdf/jpii/UnderstandDM.pdf

Here is a section of it relating to how we are to observe the day:

***Thus, to fittingly observe the Feast of Mercy, we should:
  1. Celebrate the Feast on the Sunday after Easter;
  2. Sincerely repent of all our sins;
  3. Place our complete trust in Jesus;
  4. Go to Confession, preferably before that Sunday;
  5. Receive Holy Communion on the day of the Feast;
  6. Venerate* the Image of The Divine Mercy;
  7. Be merciful to others, through our actions, words, and prayers on their behalf.
    *To venerate a sacred image or statue simply means to perform some act or make
    some gesture of deep religious respect toward it because of the person whom it
    represents — in this case, our Most Merciful Savior. ***
 
Is confession 2 weeks before Divine Mercy Sunday valid?
I would encourage you to go again within 8 days after D.M. Sunday, but this is not essential. However, I think Jesus would be most pleased.

Remember to practice trust in Jesus and do deeds of mercy in your daily life.
 
I think it’s debatable. I might be mistaken, but I"m thinking for example that the Marians on EWTN for D.M. Sunday don’t mention the D.M. Promise of Jesus. They only speak of the plenary indulgence.
The indulgence vatican.va/roman_curia/tribunals/apost_penit/documents/rc_trib_appen_doc_20020629_decree-ii_en.html from the Church is different than the promises attached to the Feast in the Private Revelation. For the Plenary indulgence from the Church - one may yes go to confession after the day (within several days - about 20).

Regarding the* Promises from the Private Revelation* - The book I quoted from is from an expert (Professor at the Pontifical University of John Paul II in Krakow etc) on the subject - asked by St. John Paul II personally to write a book on the matter (now several). He notes that one may go “before” the feast in terms of the promises for practical reasons.

The point is that the promise is associated with the Feast and is not an “indulgence” but different. So one would go to Holy Communion that day and confession or for practical reasons go to confession prior to the Feast. Which makes sense for the grace of promise would be given on that day.

I
 
“For practical reasons, confession may take place before the Feast”

“Saint Faustine and the Divine Mercy” - Fr. (Dr) Andrew Witko (Krakow) 2003
Divine Mercy Publications.

(he was asked by St.Pope John Paul II personally to write on the subject)

(NB Such is regarding the Feast in terms of the Promises not regarding the Indulgence from the Church - that is a different matter)
I think it’s debatable. I might be mistaken, but I"m thinking for example that the Marians on EWTN for D.M. Sunday don’t mention the D.M. Promise of Jesus. They only speak of the plenary indulgence.
The indulgence vatican.va/roman_curia/tribunals/apost_penit/documents/rc_trib_appen_doc_20020629_decree-ii_en.html from the Church is different than the promises attached to the Feast in the Private Revelation. For the Plenary indulgence from the Church - one may yes go to confession after the day (within several days - about 20).

Regarding the* Promises from the Private Revelation* - The book I quoted from is from an expert (Professor at the Pontifical University of John Paul II in Krakow etc) on the subject - asked by St. John Paul II personally to write a book on the matter (now several). He notes that one may go “before” the feast in terms of the promises for practical reasons.

The point is that the promise is associated with the Feast and is not an “indulgence” but different. So one would go to Holy Communion that day and confession or for practical reasons go to confession prior to the Feast. Which makes sense for the grace of promise would be given on that day.

I
I contacted the author and expert that I have mentioned here and above and his response is that what he noted in his book is still the case (which is what I noted up above).

Quote:

“For the promises of the Private Revelation of St. Faustina you need a confession on the Feast or before. Not after!”
 
I was just pointing out that the Church, on an official basis, does not actually endorse or propagate the “promise” as far as I can see.

But I do indeed believe in it. 🙂
 
I was just pointing out that the Church, on an official basis, does not actually endorse or propagate the “promise” as far as I can see.

But I do indeed believe in it. 🙂
(believe it humanly…)

Tis part of the Private Revelation to St. Faustina. Such has the nature of a Private Revelation.

CCC

67 Throughout the ages, there have been so-called “private” revelations, some of which have been recognized by the authority of the Church. They do not belong, however, to the deposit of faith. It is not their role to improve or complete Christ’s definitive Revelation, but to help live more fully by it in a certain period of history. Guided by the Magisterium of the Church, the sensus fidelium knows how to discern and welcome in these revelations whatever constitutes an authentic call of Christ or his saints to the Church.

Christian faith cannot accept “revelations” that claim to surpass or correct the Revelation of which Christ is the fulfillment, as is the case in certain non-Christian religions and also in certain recent sects which base themselves on such “revelations”.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s1c2a1.htm#67
 
“For practical reasons, confession may take place before the Feast”
Yes, “confession may take place before the Feast.” As with all Indulgences, it may also take place within a reasonable time afterwards according to current ecclesiastical law on Indulgences Canons 992-997 per the 1999 revision.

See “A modern guide to Indulgences” by Edward Peters.
 
He used the words “indulgence”, Bookcat…pounce on him! 😃
 
Yes, “confession may take place before the Feast.” As with all Indulgences, it may also take place within a reasonable time afterwards according to current ecclesiastical law on Indulgences Canons 992-997 per the 1999 revision.

See “A modern guide to Indulgences” by Edward Peters.
Yes (as I recall about 20 days).

Such though is* not* the subject that was being discussed.

The indulgence given by the Church is a different matter than the the *promise related to the feast via the Private Revelation. *

Confession in that case is to take place as I noted.
 
Yes (as I recall about 20 days).

Such though is* not* the subject that was being discussed.

The indulgence given by the Church is a different matter than the the *promise related to the feast via the Private Revelation. *

Confession in that case is to take place as I noted.
It says “confession may take place before the Feast.” In English may connotes optionality, not compulsion. In any case one would default to current ecclesiastical law on Indulgences Canons 992-997 per the 1999 revision if any question should arise.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top