Divorced Wiccans Fight Judge's Order

  • Thread starter Thread starter mlchance
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mlchance

Guest
INDIANAPOLIS – A Wiccan activist and his ex-wife are challenging a court’s order that they must protect their 9-year-old son from what it calls their “non-mainstream religious beliefs and rituals.”

The Indiana Civil Liberties Union has appealed the stipulation written into the couple’s divorce order, saying it is unconstitutionally vague because it does not define mainstream religion.

Thomas Jones, a Wiccan activist who has coordinated Pagan Pride Day in Indianapolis for six years, said he and his ex-wife, Tammy Bristol, were stunned by the order. Neither parent has taken their son to any Wiccan rituals since it was issued, he said.

“We both had an instant resolve to challenge it. We could not accept it,” Jones said Thursday. “I’m afraid I’ll lose my son if I let him around when I practice my religion.”

A court commissioner wrote the unusual order after a routine report by the court’s Domestic Relations Counseling Bureau noted that both Jones and his ex-wife are pagans who send their son, Archer, to a Catholic elementary school.

In the order, the parents were “directed to take such steps as are needed to shelter Archer from involvement and observation of these non-mainstream religious beliefs and rituals.” The judge let the wording stand.

The order has been criticized by various religious and advocacy groups.

Barry Lynn, executive director of the Washington, D.C.-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said judges cannot substitute their religious judgment for that of parents in regard to the upbringing of children.

“This is an absurd result, because in the eyes of the law being a pagan should be no different from being a Presbyterian,” he said.

Wiccans contend their religion is becoming more mainstream. The parents’ appeal says there were about 1 million pagans worldwide in 2002, more than the numbers who practice Sikhism, Taoism and other established religions in the United States.

Wiccans consider themselves witches, pagans or neo-pagans, and say their religion is based on respect for the earth, nature and the cycle of the seasons.

“There continues to be misunderstanding and prejudice and discrimination, not only against Wicca but against any religion that is not centered on monotheism,” said the Rev. Elena Fox, high priestess and senior minister of Circle Sanctuary, a Wiccan church and pagan resource center near Madison, Wis.

The head of a conservative Christian group also sided with the Wiccans.

“The parents have the right to raise their child in that faith, just as I have the right to raise my child in the Christian faith,” said Micah Clark, executive director of the American Family Association of Indiana.
 
Wow. From this story I find myself on the side of the Wiccans.

I’m glad they send their child to Catholic school.

For the government to tell parents they cannot “expose” their religious beliefs to their children is amazing. This is not a good precedent.

Alan
 
I am not sure why a judge was involved at all if both parents that were divorcing were pagan anway. Why was the topic of religion ever brought up if they are in agreement? It is strange.

I wonder why they decided on a Catholic school? I mean doesn’t the whole situation seem odd? I hope that learning Catholocism is a help to this child for at least they are hearing the word of God on a daily basis at school even if the parents aren’t Christian. This could be a saving grace for the child.
 
Agreed, and will have dangerous results for many more later as a presedent case
 
If Barry Lin is against it, I am for it. They may be more to the story than was reported. What goes on during these pagan ceremonies?
 
What goes on during these pagan ceremonies?
Having had several Wiccan friends over the years, I can tell you: not much. There is invocation of the gods and goddesses, singing of hymns, meditation, burning of incense and candles, perhaps a blessing of some fruit or wine or mead that is then shared among the participants. Some groups conduct their services in the nude, some don’t; in either case, there’s no sexual activity going on.
 
Part of me says: Ah, a judge with common sense. The other part says: This is a dangerous precedent. There’s got to be more to this story than what is being told in the media. (But, then, there usually is)
 
From what I understand, the reasoning behind the judge’s order is that the boy is attending a Catholic school, and for him to be exposed to Catholicism in that setting, and then to be exposed to Wicca at home, would cause him psychic harm by being pulled in two different directions. Doesn’t really make much sense to me, as plenty of non-Catholics go to Catholic schools without any problem, but there it is.
 
Unless a religion violates existing laws concerning human rights such as freedom from slavery or abuse or its practice poses a serious danger to either members or non-members–and I am not suggesting that Wicca does any such thing–a ruling of this kind cannot be tolerated.

Whenever freedom of ritual is not protected or when adherence to the “mainstream” is required in the education of children, the day is in sight when Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular will come under direct attack.

We cannot forget, either, that this kind of singling out is what preceded the Holocaust.
Never again.
 
This is the kind of **** that was used against Catholics in Britain. I’m totally against any court order saying that those parents can’t raise their child in their own faith. Absolutely horrifying, IMO.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top