C
Curious11
Guest
I understand Marian devotion is acceptable, but do Catholics have to pray to Mary? Can a Catholic believe that he/she needs no intermediary in Mary but accepts that others can pray to her without it being idolatry?
Oh good, when I read your original question, I thought “oh no, he’s missing out on so much!”Oh I not only have no problem with Marian devotion, I love it!
No, not required.I understand Marian devotion is acceptable, but do Catholics have to pray to Mary?
(1) Not necessary though they are taught to do it as efficacious.I understand Marian devotion is acceptable, but do Catholics have to pray to Mary? Can a Catholic believe that he/she needs no intermediary in Mary but accepts that others can pray to her without it being idolatry?
Just to be clear for the sake of non-Catholics reading this, you’re speaking of the apparitions that have received Church approval, such as Fatima, Lourdes, Kibeho, or at least a local bishop approval, like Our Lady of Good Help.As to the other Marian devotions, we are free to have devotion to any we want as the church has researched them and found nothing in any Marian apparition that is in opposition to “the deposit of faith…”.
Yes TB, you are correct in your above statement. I might venture a guess that most non-Catholics and a great number of Catholics don’t really understand what is meant when the church “approves” an apparition. They are saying, we “agree” with the situation and Catholics must have devotion to the event, but rather, as I have stated, that the church, upon investigation finds nothing contrary to the “deposit of faith” (the formal teachings and doctrines/dogmas of the church), and thus the people, if they so choose, may express devotion to the event/apparition. And yes, I am referring to those events, (Fatima, Lourdes, Kiberho, Guadalupe, etc that the church has “approved.”Just to be clear for the sake of non-Catholics reading this, you’re speaking of the apparitions that have received Church approval, such as Fatima, Lourdes, Kibeho, or at least a local bishop approval, like Our Lady of Good Help.