T
thephilosopher6
Guest
This is simply true. Asking the Saints to pray for us is apart of the faith.
That is not the attitude that the poster has evidenced.And if the penitent says: I would never pray to Mary. Please give me another penance because I believe that prayer to Mary is idolatrous?
Messages posted to this board must be polite and free of personal attacks, threats, and incendiary, divisive, crude /…/ language
Do not incite animosity towards anyone /…/
Catholics must be charitable in their discussions about non-Catholic belief and practice.
Thanks for the reply. However, the post in question was not from me but from @AINg.Reuben_J:![]()
One is not obliged under pain of mortal sin to pronounce every word of every sentence in those parts pertaining to the lay people. I remember being at Masses in the United States, as Presider at Eucharist, and the hymns were unsingable for me…so I did not sing them. I left them to the choir; they are themselves ministers in the liturgical assembly and they were fulfilling their liturgical office quite well without me…just as I, as Presider, fulfill my offices in the synaxis.Under pain of mortal sin, Catholics are obliged to attend Mass on Sundays. And if the priest chooses a particular option, (is it option A), then it is written that All pray as follows:
All: I confess to almighty God,
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have sinned through my own fault,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done,
and in what I have failed to do;
and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin,
all the angels and saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord, our God
Yes, let us be clear. Let us be crystal clear.Let;s be clear here. Why do Protestants reject prayer to Mary. It is all over the internet that they believe that prayer to Mary is blasphemy and idolatrous. This is the stand of many Protestants and is why they do not pray to Mary.
Do you say it is no sin if a Catholic believes that prayer to Mary is idolatry and refuses to pronounce the prayer to Mary because he believes that it would be idolatry and blasphemous to God to do so?
That is the question I was answering…and the answer is no. No Catholic is forced to personally address themselves to the Mother of Jesus, if they choose not to. Their relationship with her is at their choosing and their discretion. Depending upon what country they are in, they may be obligated to attend Mass on a Holy Day of Obligation associated with some aspect of the Mystery of the Virgin – but even then, the prayers are addressed to God about Mary and not to Mary. It is exceedingly rare for Mary to be addressed directly in the liturgy and involves antiphons.I understand Marian devotion is acceptable, but do Catholics have to pray to Mary? Can a Catholic believe that he/she needs no intermediary in Mary but accepts that others can pray to her without it being idolatry?
A penitent is free to say “I do not have a devotion to the Mother of Jesus” just as a penitent is free to say “I am sorry I do not pray the rosary” or “I do not know the Chaplet of Mercy” or “I have chosen not to follow this or that private revelation”.And if the penitent says: I would never pray to Mary. Please give me another penance because I believe that prayer to Mary is idolatrous?
This is not the first time where I have used the same method of quoting a text and the apparatus addresses the quote to someone I did not intend. I wonder if there is a malfunction.Thanks for the reply. However, the post in question was not from me but from @AINg.
He has then committed a sin of rejecting catechetical teaching on our Blessed Mother. It is not sinful that he doesn’t say the words of the prayer, it’s sinful that he believes honoring Mary is idolatry.And if the penitent says: I would never pray to Mary. Please give me another penance because I believe that prayer to Mary is idolatrous?
No problem, Father. I knew you were answering the other poster. The fire sale analogy is hilarious.Reuben_J:![]()
This is not the first time where I have used the same method of quoting a text and the apparatus addresses the quote to someone I did not intend. I wonder if there is a malfunction.Thanks for the reply. However, the post in question was not from me but from @AINg.
I am sorry that the message ended up addressed to you. There are so many problems with this new format and the effort to use it – it really is like one had been in a charming department store and suddenly find oneself transported to the equivalent of where one would go for a fire sale. How very sad.
This is not a Catholic belief. I’m afraid you are mistaken. One could be a great Catholic and never pray a Hail Mary or practice any devotion to Mary and not suffer any negative consequences as a result.One can’t freely reject Christ’s gift of Mary as Our Mother–who constantly cares for us-- and do so until death, and be saved.
If that were true, please update me on which saint openly rejected having any devotion to Mary and still became a canonized saint.One could be a great Catholic and never pray a Hail Mary or practice any devotion to Mary and not suffer any negative consequences as a result.
There is a difference between “never praying a Hail Mary” or “never practicing any devotion to Mary” and “openly rejecting any devotion to Mary”.which saint openly rejected having any devotion to Mary
Fair enough, that was the “early Church.” Today, we have been blessed with the beautiful, and powerful, Marian prayers in which to sing Her praises.jmj777:![]()
However, it seems likely that there were people in the early Church who were not devoted to Mary simply because the devotion was not as widespread or established. Some of these folks might well have become saints.which saint openly rejected having any devotion to Mary
I can’t figure that out either.Whether Catholics have to pray to Mary or not, why would a Catholic make a decision not to?