Do human/animal hybrids have souls?

  • Thread starter Thread starter question_bunny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

question_bunny

Guest
I learned that most individuals who aren’t Sub-Saharan Africans have some Neanderthal DNA. This would mean that they’re not entirely human. If this percentage is significant, do these individuals have souls–that is, are they people? At what point does something become a person?

There have been other cases documented of beast-human hybrids, such as an 18th century record of a half pig, half human hybrid. Was this creature a person?
 
Not quite true. If we did not all descend from Adam and Eve–yes, I mean two actual people, not a metaphorical Adam and Eve–we would not have all inherited original sin, which is observably illogical. We know for a fact that humans are persons, but we don’t know about Neanderthals. So, my question still stands.
 
Who says neanderthals weren’t human? They were obviously closely enough related to interbreed and have fully successful offspring.

As for human-pig hybrids, having human DNA spliced in wouldn’t automatically make it human. I wouldn’t believe the 18th century myth, though, I’m thinking of modern gene splicing experiments.
 
Not quite true. If we did not all descend from Adam and Eve–yes, I mean two actual people, not a metaphorical Adam and Eve–we would not have all inherited original sin, which is observably illogical. We know for a fact that humans are persons, but we don’t know about Neanderthals. So, my question still stands.
(1) Even if we have Neanderthal DNA, Adam and Eve would still be in all of our family trees far enough back.

(2) Who says Neanderthals weren’t also descended from them?
 
If we did not all descend from Adam and Eve–yes, I mean two actual people, not a metaphorical Adam and Eve–we would not have all inherited original sin, which is observably illogical
I’m not sure it is so illogical. Couldn’t it be something we inherit by our very nature?
 
Evolution itself is compatible with Catholic teaching, so long as it stays within the realm of beasts. If it reaches humans, then some of us inherited original sin, and some didn’t, which is contrary to logic and Christian teaching.
 
No, because that would be unfair–if one man in a tribe does something wrong, should the whole tribe be punished? I think not.
 
We inherited the sin but we all have the chance to be forgiven through the sacrifice of Jesus - which was not ‘fair’ on Jesus who was sinless.
 
40.png
question_bunny:
If we did not all descend from Adam and Eve–yes, I mean two actual people, not a metaphorical Adam and Eve–we would not have all inherited original sin, which is observably illogical
I’m not sure it is so illogical. Couldn’t it be something we inherit by our very nature?
The Church teaches as dogma that there was a historical “Adam” and “Eve” who personally sinned against God, that original sin was not a communal sin with a large community involved, and that we all receive original sin from “natural generation” (parent to child) back to Adam and Eve, that there are no true humans not descended from them.
 
If it reaches humans, then some of us inherited original sin, and some didn’t
You’re right that this would be contrary to Church teaching if some of us were not descended from Adam and Eve, but not right that the evolution of humans would necessarily mean some of us haven’t inherited original sin or aren’t descendants of Adam and Eve.
 
Last edited:
That is not official teaching. The Pope is entitled to speculation as are the rest of us. But until that makes it into the books, it would be wise to be skeptical.
 
  1. Humanhood resides in the cognitive mind, or at least in the genetic propensity for cognitive mind. Not in head shape or body build.
Given that the Neanderthal had tools and lit fire, that to me says they were human. QED.
  1. What is your source for human/porcine “hybrids” in the 1700s?
ICXC NIKA
 
To your first question, even chimps have figured out how to make simple tools. Are you ready to claim they’re people, too?
To your second, I translated a portion of a medical journal detailing how a woman gave birth to a half pig, half human creature some years ago. I have since lost my translation, but I remember that much of the account. And if your next move is to question the truth of this, my question is not about how good my memory is, but what the state of such creatures would be, regarding their souls or lack thereof.
 
The Church has always maintained that Adam and Eve chose to transgress against God in the beginning. If they had not, some men would have original sin on their heads and some wouldn’t, as you can’t blame one man for another man’s crime and call that fair. So, you must choose whether God is fair or the account of Adam and Eve wasn’t literal.
Like I said.
The Church teaches as dogma that there was a historical “Adam” and “Eve” who personally sinned against God, that original sin was not a communal sin with a large community involved, and that we all receive original sin from “natural generation” (parent to child) back to Adam and Eve, that there are no true humans not descended from them.
I said you’re not right that human evolution necessarily requires denying any of this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top