Do human/animal hybrids have souls?

  • Thread starter Thread starter question_bunny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You only need forgiveness if you actually did inherit original sin. If something isn’t a person, though, then that would imply it doesn’t need forgiveness, would it not?
 
I believe I replied to the wrong post, or perhaps read wrong–my apologies, it’s early in the morning where I am.
 
I learned that most individuals who aren’t Sub-Saharan Africans have some Neanderthal DNA. This would mean that they’re not entirely human. If this percentage is significant, do these individuals have souls–that is, are they people? At what point does something become a person?

There have been other cases documented of beast-human hybrids, such as an 18th century record of a half pig, half human hybrid. Was this creature a person?
The key is having the rational soul, the spiritual immortal part in human beings that animates the body. We do not know in history when that occurred. The soul is individually created for each person by God and infused into the body at the time of human insemination.
 
I don’t know if we really know enough to comment on actual human-pig hybrids. I doubt the actual legends from the 1700s were true. If there’s any truth to it, I suspect some poor souls were born from two human parents but with disfigurements and accused of being pig hybrids.

As for gene splicing… we really can’t say until it’s done. Simply giving humans pig features with pig DNA wouldn’t seem to remove the soul, and simply giving pigs human DNA wouldn’t add one. What’s important is whether there is an innate capacity for rational thought. Hopefully we can avoid most of these types of experiments.
 
Last edited:
Yes, but the angels are also rational beings, yet they do not have original sin on their heads, nor can they be forgiven through Jesus’s sacrifice because they are not human. My question, though, is regarding modern individuals–those who are found to be Neanderthals in DNA tests (usually about 10% or less). Are they human enough to certainly have rational souls, and if so, then are they human enough to have inherited original sin?
 
Like I said, I am not making any comment on the truth or untruth of what that poor doctor reported–merely asking the question: what if it was true? Would the resulting hybrid be a person?
 
All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. We are still human - we share DNA with other species doesn’t mean we are those species
 
How do you know? And if that’s true, and any human DNA makes you human, then are not the pigs–should I say "pigs?–which we use to grow organs for the ill human as well? If not, what percentage human DNA do you propose makes us human? And how will you prove that it’s not an arbitrary number?
 
Percentage of DNA is misleading. After all, we share 61% of our DNA with bananas!!!

I too doubt instances of human porcine hybrids from 1700. I am not questioning your memory, I am questioning the accounts themselves.

Because so much DNA is shared among life, it is not percentage of DNA, but propensity for cognitive mind that matters. No-one is trying to give animals cognitive minds.

UCXC NIKA
 
That’s what I mean, we aren’t less human because we share %DNA with other things - so we aren’t human banana hybrids for example. Just as bananas don’t need forgiveness. This thread is making me smile 🙂
 
My question was not regarding the truth of the account, but supposing it was true, what the standing of such creatures’ souls be (or lack thereof).

Yes, I know that percent of DNA can be misleading in that manner. But that is why I ask what percent you suggest, because you clearly seem to think that anything with a cognitive mind needs forgiveness. That’s only true if it’s human–so when does it become human? And why?
 
Angels do not have souls, rather we speak of the angelic mind.

Having some Neanderthal (or Denisovan) DNA does not make one no longer Homo Sapiens. There are various theories such as parallel theory of evolution from Homo erectus or the radiation theory (Out of Africa). We still do not know when God infused the first soul.
 
Last edited:
I know angels don’t have souls. That’s why I was careful to only mention them as rational beings and persons. And why do you say that having some non-human DNA does not make one no longer Homo Sapiens? This thread has already been through the evolution bit, and it’s perfectly obvious that one must choose human evolution or the Word for reasons of original sin.
 
Last edited:
Neanderthals were children of Adam and Eve. The premise of your question is wrong.

The human pig hybrid is also a descendant of Adam and Eve. It is as much a human as an infant lacking rationality due to genetic defect or I suppose, youth. Not that I believe human pig hybrids exist.
 
I know angels don’t have souls. That’s why I was careful to only mention them as rational beings and persons. And why do you say that having some non-human DNA does not make one no longer Homo Sapiens? This thread has already been through the evolution bit, and it’s perfectly obvious that one must choose human evolution or the Word for reasons of original sin.
My mistake about mentioning that angels don’t have souls.

Modern humans (Homo sapiens) may have percentages of Neanderthal and Denisovan DNA. Modern testing shows that zero or near zero people from African populations, about 1 to 2 percent in people of European or Asian background have some Neanderthal DNA. Denisovan DNA is highest in the Melanesian population with 4 to 6 percent, and lower in other Southeast Asian and Pacific Islander populations, and very low or undetectable elsewhere.

We do not know when God created the rational soul for humans (just from Adan and Eve).
 
Last edited:
I’ll quote Wikipedia about the Neanderthal DNA:
In 2007, speech-related gene FOXP2 mutations identical to those in modern humans were discovered in Neanderthal DNA from the El Sidrón 1253 and 1351c specimens,[26] suggesting Neanderthals might have shared some basic language capabilities with modern humans.
Since the Neanderthals are still a human species (just extinct now) and since we believe that God created Adam and Eve as ancestors for all of us, there is a chance that we still share some of the genes that they shared. Keep in mind that genes are inherited; although genes may have changed throughout history due to environment and things like that, there is a chance that we have inherited some genes from them.

So yes, they’re still humans. The soul part I cannot answer, but yes they were humans.

But human hybrids…I’ve never heard of them. Animals can only breed within their own species or subspecies. So I don’t really think having a hybrid would be possible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top