A
awatkins69
Guest
I’ve been trying to study the Scriptures, but “there are some things hard to understand.” Now, please let me know if my understanding of justification is correct. First of all, Catholics do believe in sola gratia and solo Christo. That is, we believe that we are saved only by the Grace of God through Jesus Christ. Tell me if I am right on this.
First of all we are given mercy through grace. Because of this grace, we are first justified by faith. We are given this grace to have faith by God, not because of any merits or works of our own, but solely out of God’s condescension and mercy. Absolutely nothing we do of ourselves gives us this grace.
After we are justified by faith this leads to baptism. This gives us sanctifying grace, remission of absolutely all sin and punishment due to sin, and sonship. It basically returns us to the state of Adam before the fall. After baptism, and as believers in the Church, we do good works, and because these works are done under God’s grace, they merit for us even more righteousness. All of this is solely by God’s grace, prevenient in the case of justification by faith, sanctifying in the case of baptism, and actual which allows us to do every good work, yes?
I have a couple of questions. First of all, the Church teaches that one must be baptized to be saved and to wash away original sin and to return us to the grace of Adam before the fall, yes? There is also baptism of desire. But if we are justified by faith, then why do we need to get baptized? Is the initial justification by faith the same as baptism of desire? What good does baptism do if we are already justified? If water baptism is not actually necessary (because baptism of desire is good enough), then isn’t baptism of desire the same as water baptism, thus making water baptism unnecessary?
Also, isn’t the justification after faith, that is, with good works, the same as the word “sanctification”? Because, this justification just makes us grow in righteousness. With all of these, please tell me where I’m wrong, if I am wrong, and why I’m wrong, or if I am missing anything. If you have Bible verses that would be great! Thanks.
First of all we are given mercy through grace. Because of this grace, we are first justified by faith. We are given this grace to have faith by God, not because of any merits or works of our own, but solely out of God’s condescension and mercy. Absolutely nothing we do of ourselves gives us this grace.
After we are justified by faith this leads to baptism. This gives us sanctifying grace, remission of absolutely all sin and punishment due to sin, and sonship. It basically returns us to the state of Adam before the fall. After baptism, and as believers in the Church, we do good works, and because these works are done under God’s grace, they merit for us even more righteousness. All of this is solely by God’s grace, prevenient in the case of justification by faith, sanctifying in the case of baptism, and actual which allows us to do every good work, yes?
I have a couple of questions. First of all, the Church teaches that one must be baptized to be saved and to wash away original sin and to return us to the grace of Adam before the fall, yes? There is also baptism of desire. But if we are justified by faith, then why do we need to get baptized? Is the initial justification by faith the same as baptism of desire? What good does baptism do if we are already justified? If water baptism is not actually necessary (because baptism of desire is good enough), then isn’t baptism of desire the same as water baptism, thus making water baptism unnecessary?
Also, isn’t the justification after faith, that is, with good works, the same as the word “sanctification”? Because, this justification just makes us grow in righteousness. With all of these, please tell me where I’m wrong, if I am wrong, and why I’m wrong, or if I am missing anything. If you have Bible verses that would be great! Thanks.