Do most Protestants know that the rapture was made in the 18th century?

• Thread starter Thread starter Patrick2000
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, He is literally coming back right? I mean as He left so shall He return, visibly, and to/ from “above”. And that to be with us, and we with Him, and somehow differently than now( He is with us now in a certain fashion).

I am saying must be true in some literal fashion.

Now I am reading that indeed the eagles gather where the carcass is…carcass being singular. Some say the carcass is the body of Christ, the one who was slain…that the saints are gathered to Him.

I guess I am back to original thought. Those taken are taken to Christ ( our Ark)…those left behind are not His. I mean what is coming to Earth is also judgement.

Last edited:
. Those taken are taken to Christ ( our Ark)…those left behind are not His.
If that is what you think, but the one’s who were left behind in the flood where not Noah, so then the part about it being like the time of Noah would be false. This conclusion must deny a literal reading of what Jesus said, or, simply apply it to the second part of the question that Jesus was asked about when the temple was going to be torn down, that is 70 AD.

This problem though is why it was imperative that God not only leave us Scripture, but an authority by which Scripture is understood.

that is what you think, but the one’s who were left behind in the flood where not Noah, so then the part about it being like the time of Noah would be false
Not sure I follow you. I think the Noah thing was to show life will seem “normal” , everbody doung normal things, despite eminent judgement. Also to show two classes of people ready and not ready, saved and unsaved.

I am saying those left behind in both cases, Noah and “rapture” are in trouble ( not in Ark, not in Christ, the one who once died , for us).

This conclusion must deny a literal reading of what Jesus said, or, simply apply it to the second part of the question that Jesus was asked about when the temple was going to be torn down, that is 70 AD.
Again, I thought a lot of rapture theories of late( 1800s) were due to more literal understanding of end time prophecies. But again not sure what you mean here. We both agree to a type of rapture but disagree on who is who, left behind and taken. Why would Jesus answer where these folks go by saing “eagles go to a carcass?”

PS…i understand Christ not only died (became a carcass) but was also gloriously bodily resurrected, ascended and coming back). This is hindsight, relative to whom Jesus was talking to, who were folks who couldn’t fathom His death, even Peter. Jesus often veiled His eminent death (I must be lifted up, eat my flesh etc…)…so why not eagles gathering to a carcass?

Last edited:
I was a protestant for 56 years. The understanding and teaching on “end time events” is nearly as broad as the number of protestant churches. One corner church can easily be different than the next corner’s.

Not sure I follow you. I think the Noah thing was to show life will seem “normal” , everbody doung normal things, despite eminent judgement. Also to show two classes of people ready and not ready, saved and unsaved.
It says more. The second part was, “and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away.”

Then the same image is used, and even explicitly set as an example, :That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.
Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

So, I do not know how it will happen, but it seems the evil are taken in judgment and the righteous taken to be with the Lord. Personally, I try not to speculate, for the same Jesus taught that sufficient to the day is the evil thereof. The odds are greatly against me seeing this event. They are also greatly in favor of me facing my own demise.

Last edited:
The odds are greatly against me seeing this event. They are also greatly in favor of me facing my own demise.
I thought early church believed in eminent return, that it could happen any time, His return?

Last edited:
I thought early church believed in eminent return, that it could happen any time, His return?
I am talking about numbers. At best one will live to see on Century out of 20, or 5% of the time in which Christ could have returned. I might see 1-2% now, and that’s assuming the world doesn’t last 10,000 years. Yet I know that the odds of seeing death approach certainty. It makes more sense to prepare for that. That is why I have never understood this fascination with end times.

40.png
pnewton:
The odds are greatly against me seeing this event. They are also greatly in favor of me facing my own demise.
Isn’t that why they shared all their resources in common?

I heard that too, that they were under the impression that Christ would return soon. Well, it could happen any time.

And (without looking it up) wasn’t the “Roman” added in 1921?

Those who believe in a Rapture (separate from the Judgment Day that sends you to eternity) believe that it was first taught by Polycarp, in the generation after John the Apostle.

In my experience, most Rapture believers tend to be English speakers, reading an English translation of the Bible. Rapture just doesn’t seem to have as big a following in any other language group. So I do think it’s partly a translation issue.

But that doesn’t mean that even they agree, either. I was exposed to a variety of churches as a youngster. So I learned the arguments of Christians who taught that Rapture-and-details are:
  1. error-and-don’t-waste-your-time,
  2. to flat-out-heresy,
  3. to true-true-true,
  4. to heresy (liberal heresy, that is). Why “liberal” heresy? Well, say, the Left Behind books rapture all children, including the children of the unsaved. “All children fly free.” But the Rapture is supposed to rescue the Real, True Church. Are unbaptized children of heathens part of the Real, True Church? So my Scofield-Bible-carrying relatives would have disapproved of that teaching.
Myself, I try to be respectful, remembering how I didn’t have the resources that are available nowadays.

I also try to be respectful because it’s not enough to know that someone else believes in Rapture. You have to know WHY they believe it, and address that issue. For example, I’ve only been researching the “Left Behind” books for seventeen years. That sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t. People believe in Rapture because they believe that the Bible really teaches it. They also believe in scenarios where it’s really, really desirable to be Raptured. For example, the Left Behind series teaches that Satan can raise the dead! Obviously any sensible believer would want to be long gone from earth under those circumstances.

You have to ask people WHY they believe in Rapture, to get at what they need to hear and to understand how you can help them.

Last edited:
In my experience, most Rapture believers tend to be English speakers, reading an English translation of the Bible.
not sure, but CC believes in “rapture”(rapture derived out of Vulgate, rapio), and now I really don’t know who does not believe in "rapture " of some sorts.

Not quite. When capitalized, “Rapture” refers to an escape from earth on a day well before Judgment Day. Very different from CC teaching.

If that is what you think, but the one’s who were left behind in the flood where not Noah, so then the part about it being like the time of Noah would be false
Don’t follow you here…in both Noah and Lot, the righteous are taken, received, into safety. The left behind, or sent forth, away, was unto destruction. Some think the apostles question “where?” applied to those left ( sent away)… i mean they would be silly to ask where those received/ taken were going, for earlier in the text the angels are said to gather up the elect .

All I know is, we are in the end times, we have been for close to 2000 years, after the death of John. Jesus will come again after the Gospel has been preached to all nations, the Jewish people have made a final decision as to accepting Jesus, and the Church has gone through a great tribulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back