Do prayer work if in Mortal Sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Elena321
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, yes, I love to hear may different views, but sometimes there are so many and they seem so little suited toward my current needs, that they seem cumbersome.

My trigger really is when Catholic teachings are misrepresented especially by presenting tradition or optional concepts such as Marian apparitions, as if they were required Church teachings.

As far as I know, the last thing Mary “officially” told us to do was scriptural, “do what He says.” Everything beyond that is optional, not binding on Catholics, and when I think someone is “pushing” their solutions as “the” solution for somebody else, it gets me all riled up. Personal problem on my part, of course. :rolleyes:

You know what? If I can ever frame a situation to where I’m the one who’s wrong, then I rejoice because then I’ve won as soon as I can switch my ideas around in my mind. If I’m wrong, all I have to do is become corrected and the problem is fixed. If others are wrong, then I do not have direct control over whether it gets fixed and I have to resort to my powers of persuasion. 😃

MS
Ok, there are two of us, me and you, on this thread, that agree that prayer works regardless of Mortal sin or not .🙂
 
Ok, there are two of us, me and you, on this thread, that agree that prayer works regardless of Mortal sin or not .🙂
Uh oh. Dare I invoke “the Quorum for Collusion Clause?” 😃

(pretending it’s just our little clique in here :whistle: )

Matt 18:19-20
Again, [amen,] I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything for which they are to pray, it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”

So there you go… Dear Father in heaven, Please hear the prayers of my buddy and let us go on thinking that prayers are always heard and are worth offering.

On my own story, when I was 6-ish, my best friend gave my mother a dandelion, and my mom made over it and put it in a cup of water. She said, “did you give your mom one?” He said, “I gave her one but she threw it away and told me it was a weed.”

Even these weeds – as some might consider my personal thoughts – have dreams of being loved and made useful by somebody’s mother. ❤️

1 Cor 12:19-25
If they were all one part, where would the body be? But as it is, there are many parts, yet one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I do not need you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I do not need you.” Indeed, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are all the more necessary, and those parts of the body that we consider less honorable we surround with greater honor, and our less presentable parts are treated with greater propriety, whereas our more presentable parts do not need this. But God has so constructed the body as to give greater honor to a part that is without it, so that there may be no division in the body, but that the parts may have the same concern for one another.

To me, that means I should maybe treat those I personally consider “worse Catholics” than me for whatever reason that makes me feel superior – as having more dignity than myself? Is that like “the first is the last” in the kingdom? Those mental mind benders to help us let go the old wineskins. Speaking of which, Happy New Year, and Blessings to all as we have this occasion to share Mass for Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of God.

MS
 
Uh oh. Dare I invoke “the Omnibus Collusion Clause?” 😃

(pretending it’s just our little clique in here :whistle: )

Matt 18:19-20
Again, [amen,] I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything for which they are to pray, it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”

So there you go… Dear Father in heaven, Please hear the prayers of my buddy and let us go on thinking that prayers are always heard and are worth offering.

On my own story, when I was 6-ish, my best friend gave my mother a dandelion, and my mom made over it and put it in a cup of water. She said, “did you give your mom one?” He said, “I gave her one but she threw it away and told me it was a weed.”

Even these weeds – as some might consider my personal thoughts – have dreams of being loved and made useful by somebody’s mother. ❤️

1 Cor 12:19-25
If they were all one part, where would the body be? But as it is, there are many parts, yet one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I do not need you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I do not need you.” Indeed, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are all the more necessary, and those parts of the body that we consider less honorable we surround with greater honor, and our less presentable parts are treated with greater propriety, whereas our more presentable parts do not need this. But God has so constructed the body as to give greater honor to a part that is without it, so that there may be no division in the body, but that the parts may have the same concern for one another.

To me, that means I should maybe treat those I personally consider “worse Catholics” than me for whatever reason that makes me feel superior – as having more dignity than myself? Is that like “the first is the last” in the kingdom? Those mental mind benders to help us let go the old wineskins. Speaking of which, Happy New Year, and Blessings to all as I get ready for Mass at 8 AM.

MS
I’m in another thread on Mortal sin, want to jump in :forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=933560
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top