Do Protestants recite the Apostles Creed?

• Thread starter Thread starter Krisdun
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most Protestant denominations resulting from the Reformation hold to the three ecumenical creeds and use them in their liturgy. The nondenominational and charismatic groups are sort of a mixed bag, so it depends there.

Last edited:
Do Protestants recite the Apostles’ Creed?
You cannot pose the question, ‘Do Protestants …?’ I do not know how many Protestant ecclesial communities exist; however, a lot do. They are not an homogenous group. Theology and praxis varies from ecclesial community to ecclesial community. It is similar to posing the question, ‘Do all Canadians love kale?’ No one can speak for all Canadians.

Many Protestants know the Apostles’ Creed. Not all will. Some may use but not all of them. For those who do I am sure they will use the same text as we Catholics do.

I’m a LCMS Lutheran. We say the Apostles Creed on Sunday’s when we don’t celebrate Holy Communion. We recite the Nicene Creed on Sunday’s when we do. We do Holy Communion every other week at my parish.

Protestants is not a generic term.

My in-laws UMC Church recites the creed every Sunday.

The Assembly of God up the road does not.

Lutherans recite the same creeds as the Catholics do. The whole church service sounds very much like a Catholic service.

We use a lower case ‘c’ as well. In my Missal at least.

Last edited:
390 AD? Rather than guessing what the expression “the holy Catholic Church” might mean, I thought it best to try to find a fairly contemporary explanation of that particular article of faith (“and in the holy Catholic Church”) and found St Cyril of Jerusalem’s Catechetical Lectures, Lecture 18, paragraphs 22-27, written about 350. He seems to use the name in a denominational way, to refer to only those assemblies where was taught “one and all the doctrines which ought to come to men’s knowledge, concerning things both visible and invisible, heavenly and earth” (23), as opposed to the assemblies of (Christian) heretics, such as the Marcionists:
  1. But since the word Ecclesia is applied to different things (as also it is written of the multitude in the theatre of the Ephesians, And when he had thus spoken, he dismissed the Assembly Acts 19:14), and since one might properly and truly say that there is a Church of evil doers, I mean the meetings of the heretics, the Marcionists and Manichees, and the rest, for this cause the Faith has securely delivered to you now the Article, And in one Holy Catholic Church; that you may avoid their wretched meetings, and ever abide with the Holy Church Catholic in which you were regenerated. And if ever you are sojourning in cities, inquire not simply where the Lord’s House is (for the other sects of the profane also attempt to call their own dens houses of the Lord), nor merely where the Church is, but where is the Catholic Church. For this is the peculiar name of this Holy Church, the mother of us all, which is the spouse of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Only-begotten Son of God (for it is written, As Christ also loved the Church and gave Himself for it Ephesians 5:25, and all the rest,) and is a figure and copy of Jerusalem which is above, which is free, and the mother of us all Galatians 4:26; which before was barren, but now has many children.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing… Cyril is certainly one of several early church leaders who used the term, Holy Catholic Church, and I’m sure his intentions were good, but he started favoring doctrines that were not taught by the Apostles.

The elephant in the room, remains the term “catholic” was written in the Apostles Creed with a “small” c… and why they wrote it that way…?

A more provocative question: are the doctrines of the contemporary Catholic church, aligned with with the church design, as described in the NT…?

Last edited:
Lutherans recite the same creeds as the Catholics do. The whole church service sounds very much like a Catholic service.
Depends… I use to go to a kind of “Reformed” Lutheran church. They did away with liturgical worship and only had communion once a month and that one Sunday of the month was the only time a old hymn was sung in that church because they preferred contemporary music. Every Sunday was like going to a soft rock concert. Which In never liked in any protestant Church even though I grew up protestant.

They recited the apostles creed but changed “I believe in the Holy spirit, The Holy Catholic Church” etc to “I believe in The Holy Spirit, The Holy Christian Church”.

Last edited:
Depends… I use to go to a kind of “Reformed” Lutheran church. They did away with liturgical worship and only had communion once a month and that one Sunday of the month was the only time a old hymn was sung in that church because they preferred contemporary music. Every Sunday was like going to a soft rock concert. Which In never liked in any protestant Church even though I grew up protestant.
I wouldn’t attend it, not just because of the contemporary worship style, but because they leave out one central component of Lutheran worship: the Lord’s Supper. It violates the Confessions.
Article XXIV (XII): Of the Mass.
At the outset we must again make the preliminary statement that we [1]](http://www.bookofconcord.org/defense_23_mass.php#para1) do not abolish the Mass, but religiously maintain and defend it . For among us masses are celebrated every Lord’s Day and on the other festivals, in which the Sacrament is offered to those who wish to use it, after they have been examined and absolved.
The use of contemporary music, if it reflects doctrine, is acceptable if the rest of the mass is present.
They recited the apostles creed but changed “I believe in the Holy spirit, The Holy Catholic Church” etc to “I believe in The Holy Spirit, The Holy Christian Church”.
Christian and Catholic are used interchangeably.

changed “I believe in the Holy spirit, The Holy Catholic Church” etc to “I believe in The Holy Spirit, The Holy Christian Church”.
As JonNC said, Christian and catholic are used interchangeably. Sometimes Pastor would have us say “catholic,” just so we could see the appropriateness of either.
only had communion once a month
That was one of my dislikes of our Lutheran church. If communion is good, why weren’t we doing it? It used to be every third or fourth week, then became once every two months, and they weren’t johnny-on-the-spot about telling you in advance when it was, and then it went to every few months. I came to the Catholic church for two things: mainly the Eucharist–and also the Catholic priests, whom I consider wonderful and heroic.

Now I receive communion every Sunday, and generally once a week during the week, occasionally twice. Receiving the Eucharist any day I want–it’s mind blowing, and it never gets old!

Last edited:
The elephant in the room, remains the term “catholic” was written in the Apostles Creed with a “small” c… and why they wrote it that way…?
Personally, I have seen it written in Catholic publications both ways “catholic Church” and “Catholic Church.” I could be wrong but weren’t such capitalization conventions invented in the Middle Ages long after 390 AD. Be that as it may, if the Apostles’ Creed was composed in 390, to understand what the words of the expression meant back then, shouldn’t we consider what contemporary commentators said?

Tyrannius Rufinus (345 - 411), in his Commentary on the Apostles Creed, a slightly different version of the Creed that didn’t include the word “catholic,” upper-case or lower-case, in the article in question, but simply read, “the Holy Church.” Even so, like his contemporary, Cyril of Jerusalem, Rufinus seems to use the expression, “the Holy Church,” in a denominational way, putting it in opposition to (Christian) Churches founded by heretics, such as Arius:
  1. We come next in the order of belief to the Holy Church. We have mentioned above why the Creed does not say here, as in the preceding article, In the Holy Church. They, therefore, who were taught above to believe in one God, under the mystery of the Trinity, must believe this also, that there is one holy Church in which there is one faith and one baptism, in which is believed one God the Father, and one Lord Jesus Christ, His Son, and one Holy Ghost. This is that holy Church which is without spot or wrinkle. For many others have gathered together Churches, as Marcion, and Valentinus, and Ebion, and Manichæus, and Arius, and all the other heretics. But those Churches are not without spot or wrinkle of unfaithfulness. And therefore the Prophet said of them, I hate the Church of the malignants, and I will not sit with the ungodly. But of this Church which keeps the faith of Christ entire, hear what the Holy Spirit says in the Canticles, My dove is one; the perfect one of her mother is one. He then who receives this faith in the Church let him not turn aside in the Council of vanity, and let him not enter in with those who practise iniquity.

St Augustine (354-430), another contemporary, in his work, On Faith and the Creed," Chapter 10, also seems to use the words of the article in question in a denominational way, in opposition to the (Christian) Churches founded by heretics and schismatics:
— Inasmuch, I repeat, as this is the case, we believe also in The Holy Church, [intending thereby] assuredly the Catholic . For both heretics and schismatics style their congregations churches. But heretics, in holding false opinions regarding God, do injury to the faith itself; while schismatics, on the other hand, in wicked separations break off from brotherly charity, although they may believe just what we believe. Wherefore neither do the heretics belong to the Church catholic, which loves God; nor do the schismatics form a part of the same, inasmuch as it loves the neighbor, and consequently readily forgives the neighbor’s sins, because it prays that forgiveness may be extended to itself by Him who has reconciled us to Himself, doing away with all past things, and calling us to a new life. And until we reach the perfection of this new life, we cannot be without sins. Nevertheless it is a matter of consequence of what sort those sins may be.
I have brought forth three contemporary commentaries (St Cyril of Jerusalem, Rufinus, and St Augustine) on the Apostles Creed and the article of the Creed in question who seem to be in agreement that the expression in the Creed, “the Holy (Catholic) Church,” was used in a denominational way to refer to the Church founded by Jesus Christ and which in their day, for instance, petitioned the saints in heaven for their Christian intercession and, at least in the case of Cyril and Augustine, prayed for the dead, in opposition to Churches founded by (Christian) heretics. It just seems a bit dishonest to me for Protestant Churches to use the Apostles Creed when they reject the beliefs and practices current in the Church when it composed the Creed.

Last edited:
Good points…
Some thoughts came to mind… unfortunately, we don’t don’t know who actually wrote the Creed, although it carries the Apostles name. They’re still not sure how it was penned.

And putting the Creed in prospective, the Creeds of the early church were representations/summaries of what the church already knew from God’s revelations (General - Special). So the sources of the Creeds are where we should go if there are questions.

As I’ve studied beyond Scripture, I’ve found that certain letters; publications and commentaries slowly moved away from God’s original revelation to us. So, I’ve had to look to the source for clarity.

So, in short, creeds, commentaries and publications are nice, but because we know there are heresies out there, it’s our due diligence to ensure continuity with God’s Word.

Last edited:
WIthin the Lutheran tradition it is exactly the same as the Church of Rome and subscribe to the Apostles, Nicean and Athanasian creeds and recite them as a statement of beliefs,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back