Do the catholic people worship Mary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joseph_Smith
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus commanded us to love each other “as I have loved you.”

Since it isn’t actually possible for us to love Mary even close to as much as He did and continues to do, I have absolutely no fear for any of my friends who seem to “adore her too much” - my fear is more for myself, in case I don’t love her enough - but the more I learn about her, the more I love her, since she is, indeed, my adorable Mother and my incomparable Queen.

My advice to any Protestant - spend less time telling us what we believe about her, and use it to spend more time asking Jesus about her. 😉
 
Well perhaps the reason people cry “ancedotal evindence” is because that all you present to bolster your case. We are to ignore 2,000 years of Church teachings because you know of two people who who misunderstand Our Churchs doctrine on Mary ?
Well, what can I tell you? The poster to whom I was responding wanted “concrete evidence,” and didn’t want any stories at second hand. Pretty much anything that meets those standards, whatever the subject, will tend to be anecdotal. To ask for substantive examples of a phaenomenon, and then wave them off as anecdotal, is to set a standard of proof that is formally unmeetable by someone who isn’t John Zogby.
Catholics dont worship Mary. The Church makes it clear we are not to worship Mary. I think that preety much sums it up.
What am I supposed to say–“These aren’t the droids I’m looking for?” I freely grant that both your assertions, though assertions they are, are broadly true. And the sort of exceptions I can give appear to trouble Catholics and the Church not a whit, as long as they’re erring on the non-Protestant side of things. I guess we are summed up.
 
I kneel before an image of the Blessed Virgin and pray, “Hail Mary Full of Grace”.

I teach my sons and daughter to do it also.

We are not worshipping her. That is the difference. You may think we are but we are not because we understand the difference between paying honor due to someone and the worship of Almighty God.

Ken
 
"Daily, daily sing to Mary Sing, my soul, her praises due;
All her feasts, her actions worship, With the heart’s devotion true.

She is mighty to deliver; Call her, trust her lovingly;
When the tempest rages round thee, She will calm the troubled sea.

Gifts of heaven she has given, Noble Lady, to our race;
She the Queen who decks her subject, With the light of God’s own grace." (Baltimore Catechism No.1, 63)

notice the ********
If Roman Catholics do not worship Mary, then why does line three say to worship her?

Line #3 does not say “Worship her”. It says “all her feasts and actions worship”. “Worship” in this sense is not the worship due to God Alone that is forbidden to be given to anyone else, it is the veneration or honor of the feast days of Mary and all that Mary did for us. Remember, the only way God became man was through Mary and through her saying yes to God.

Take in consideration that in Rev.19:10, it says, “And I fell at his feet to worship him [the angel of God], And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellow-servant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God:”

The angel knew that John fell down to adore the angel as God, and with the idolatry present to worship the Roman Emperor Nero as a deity at that time. Remember the Roman Emperors before Constantine all claimed to be “God”.

These titles of idolerty are added to Mary by the catholic church over 1700 years.

Not one title in the litanies quoted below are idolatrous and claim Mary to have a Divine Nature.

"Ark of the Covenant
She bore Jesus Christ who is the New Covenant
Seat of wisdom
Morning star
The burning bush
Jacob’s ladder
Benefactress
Advocate
Helper
Guide
Foundation of the Church
Sign of hope
Restorer of life
Majestic cloud that led Israel

Mary was not created until the time of Jesus

Jesus, God the Son existed from all eternity, he had no beginning.

she is creation and did not in any way exist before the birth of Christ.

The Church has never claimed she has.

In the Giving of the titles the church is climing that Mary is God.

No. If the Church officially teaches Mary is God it would be stated somewhere, like in the Nicene Creed or any decree from any Ecumenical Council or the Pope.

each one of the titles are titles of God this is blasphemy and idolery.

God can have the same titles as human beings- like “King” and “Lord”. The words given to describe Mary are actually not “titles”.

The Catholic Church teaches that all graces flow through Mary; therefore, she is present in all the sacraments.

If not for Mary no grace would have ever come into this world. it is because she said yes to God that He was born into this world- therefore since He came through Mary then all comes through Mary. To deny this is to deny the Christian faith.

That means, if a Christian attends mass or prays with a Catholic, he must join with the spirit of idolatry, who claims to be able to give the grace that God alone can give. Now we have Mary taking the place of the Holy Spirit! What blasphemy!

WRONG. Note how you say “Mary is giving the grace” but the official teachings say the grace comes “through” her… like it is coming from someone else- given to her to dispense so to say.

“WHEN DOES A PERSON SIN BY SUPERSTITION? - A person sins by superstition when he attributes to a creature a power that belongs to God alone to another.”
I am yet to see where the Church teaches that a power belonging to God Alone is decreed to come from Mary.

Ken
 
While I respectfully admit that my Catholic brethren are correct when it comes to the use of the word worship, I would point out the following to all.

Line three does NOT say to worship her.

The line says, “her actions worship” Her actions. whose actions? Mary’s. Her actions what? Worship. Who does MARY’S actions worship?

The line is not saying to worship Mary. It says Mary’s actions worship. Since the next line then says that these actions are with a “heart’s true devotion” it is obvious that Mary’s actions worship God.

There is nobody saying to worship Mary here. Even though there is another older meaning for the word worship, this explanation is not even needed for this poem is talking of Mary’s actions worshiping God and are not calling for worship or devotion in the older meaning, of Mary at all. .
My mother the English teacher would love you, Maria! You are exactly correct!!
 
Yeat we see a man here and there who know GOD, Aberham mouse ect.even a few woman have come to the truth of God as shown by God.
If the underlined portion of this weren’t making me so darn :mad: , I would be kind, and not mention:
:rolleyes: “Aberham mouse”!! Mickey;) I know; Minnie 😃 I know…

Oh, dear…and Joseph Smith & the:cool: Little Voices having been banned, I will never know…Oh!! I cannot help myself; I cannot hold it in a moment longer:

[SIGN]Bestsmileys.com
 
Oh, dear…and Joseph Smith & the:cool: Little Voices having been banned, I will never know…Oh!! I cannot help myself; I cannot hold it in a moment longer:

[sign]http://bestsmileys.com/lol/17.gif[/sign]
Yeah, I saved my breath on this Post, CM, did you notice I was absent? Right from the start I knew there’d be trouble. I share your sentiments Zooey, there’s too many anti-Catholics to Evangelize after dealing with some one for 3 months, two years ago; I have strayed from the apologetics forum. Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for our forum!
 
What am I supposed to say–“These aren’t the droids I’m looking for?” I freely grant that both your assertions, though assertions they are, are broadly true. And the sort of exceptions I can give appear to trouble Catholics and the Church not a whit, as long as they’re erring on the non-Protestant side of things. I guess we are summed up.
If you want to start a thread on “some catholics appear to worship Mary” your examoles would be applicable. With a Church that has nearly a billion members we are bound to find Catholics who misunderstand or ignore all sorts of doctines of the Church.

As far as Catholics and the Church not caring how could you possble know that? In my Parish there was a woman who was proclaiming that Mary was co-redeemer with Jesus My Pastor pulled her aside and gave her private counsleing. Would you have prefered she be burned at the stake or that the Pope had flown in and publicly excommunictaed her?
 
Well, what can I tell you? The poster to whom I was responding wanted “concrete evidence,” and didn’t want any stories at second hand. Pretty much anything that meets those standards, whatever the subject, will tend to be anecdotal. To ask for substantive examples of a phaenomenon, and then wave them off as anecdotal, is to set a standard of proof that is formally unmeetable by someone who isn’t John Zogby.

What am I supposed to say–“These aren’t the droids I’m looking for?” I freely grant that both your assertions, though assertions they are, are broadly true. And the sort of exceptions I can give appear to trouble Catholics and the Church not a whit, as long as they’re erring on the non-Protestant side of things. I guess we are summed up.
As has already been pointed out to you, there is a difference here.

If you want to talk about INDIVIDUALS who err, we can certainly do so. But those kinds of conversations do little except for the individual who is in error. It really is not helpful to discuss and talk ABOUT them. And taken to the extreme, can become gossip.

The best we can do is to present the True teachings of the Catholic Church. The best we can say is that there are some people who don’t understand the teachings of the Catholic church about Mary.

As you said you are considering RCIA, you seem to understand that there can be a disconnect between what a church teaches and what a person in the church believes it teaches. The fault does not lay with the Church, although I do believe some fault may lay with those who TEACH within the Church especially within the last 50 years.

But the wonderful part of “The Church” is God does send people to renew and stregthen her and their understanding of her teachings. Maybe you are such a one being called to do this? As a revert, I feel I was and am now involved in teaching the youth of our Church.

Your sister in Christ,
Maria
 
Mary was just a woman who was a sinner and needed a Saviour.
I am a mature, life-experienced battle-hardened man.

To read the above, I have tears in my eyes.

To think that anyone could be ludicrous enough to suggest that Her who was considered by God to be worthy to carry and give birth to His precious Son.

To suggest that the Lor, the uncreated God made flesh, the Holy of Holy’s is thought to have been a sinner.

That by definition is what is being said for if Mary was a sinner, then the eggs from her womb from which the Son of God came, would also be ‘sin’. That my friend is about as blasphemous as it can get.

That is worse than any of the false claims you have made about Mary and God. It dont get much more perverse than that

May God have mercy on your poor soul!!
 
I have some conflicting feelings about Joseph smith being banned…But whomever did it I thank you. Now back to the Apologetics forum.
 
I have some conflicting feelings about Joseph smith being banned…But whomever did it I thank you. Now back to the Apologetics forum.
There should be no conflict concerning this. The Forum Rules and Banned Topics Policy are very specific and when anyone, Catholic or non, violates them they get dealt with accordingly.

Having answered the allegations made by the OP, this thread is now closed.
MF
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top