Do the Mormons worship Jesus?

• Thread starter Thread starter YHWH_Christ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YHWH_Christ

I’ve heard Mormons tell me they do worship Jesus and others tell me they only worship Elohim, which is their heavenly father god.

Last edited:
I don’t think so. I believe they are actually forbidden to even pray to him.

I’m a former Mormon. They close every prayer in the name of Jesus Christ. So that’s as close as it might get. If you ask them, they’d almost certainly tell you that they do believe in Jesus, but it’s not the real, historical Jesus.

They say they worship Jesus, however they have a very different view of who Jesus is than most all of Christianity. They claim Jesus is the literal son of God, conceived through humans means with a being called “Heavenly Mother” (not Mary) and then sent to earth to be born to Mary. Mary really has no significance to the LDS.

The LDS state Jesus was fully human and not divine at all. They claim Jesus atoned for our sins in the garden of Gethsemane, not on the cross, they completely disregard the death of Christ as our means of salvation.

The LDS Jesus is just an exalted man, not God. They do not believe in the Trinity. They also believe they too can become a god.

According to Mormon apostle Bruce R McConkie:

“We worship the Father and Him only and no one else. We do not worship the Son and we do not worship the Holy Ghost.”

I’ve heard Mormons tell me they do worship Jesus and others tell me they only worship Elohim, which is their heavenly father god.
We worship Both the Father and the Son. There is no Latter-day Saint worship reserved exclusively for the Father or exclusively for the Son. The Father, of course, reigns supreme over Christ and us. I hope this helps.

I agree. Members here aren’t supposed to be disrespectful of Catholicism and we should extend the same courtesy.

But it’s not uncharitable to teach that our church is an abomination and that are ministers are corrupt?

Last edited:
They claim Jesus is the literal son of God, conceived through humans means with a being called “Heavenly Mother” (not Mary) and then sent to earth to be born to Mary.
Not true.
Mary really has no significance to the LDS.
Not True.
The LDS state Jesus was fully human and not divine at all.
Not true.
They claim Jesus atoned for our sins in the garden of Gethsemane, not on the cross, they completely disregard the death of Christ as our means of salvation.
Not true.
The LDS Jesus is just an exalted man, not God.
Not true.
They do not believe in the Trinity.
True.
They also believe they too can become a god.
and also true!

So they are similar to the JW’s in that respect? And also the Jews and Muslims. I suppose in the traditional sense, they and the JW’s are not Christians.

One other question: are all Mormons on the same page theologically? I vaguely recall there is a difference between the Latter-Day Saints and “other” Mormons.

Also thinking about the different points of view of Quakers regarding the divinity of Jesus.
I’m not asking only you all these tough questions, but rather the CAF community at large.

Last edited:
What is the latter all about? What kind of god can they become?

One other question: are all Mormons on the same page theologically? I vaguely recall there is a difference between the Latter-Day Saints and “other” Mormons.
I can only speak from very limited experience but my answer would be a very strong NO! I ask my different relatives the same questions and get as many different answers as people I ask.

One thing my relatives are fairly consistent about is that they all agree that the Catholic Church is full of corruption and that we are the mother of all harlots. We destroyed the Bible.

There are many Mormon sects. They all have their prophets and interpretations of the scriptures. I couldn’t tell you much about any of them.

Last edited:
I don’t think so. I believe they are actually forbidden to even pray to him.
Their Book of Mormon is considered to be “the fullness of the gospel”. There are examples of people praying to Jesus in the Book of Mormon.

What is the latter all about?
Mormons believe that there was a Great Apostasy sometime in the early history of the Christian Church, so that for many centuries the “true church” ceased to exist.

Mormons therefore believe they are “Latter-day Saints” in the sense that that Joseph Smith was chosen by God to lead a “restored” Church of Christ in the “last days.” Therefore, Mormons believe themselves to be “Latter Day Saints” in the restored Church of Christ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back