Do the Mormons worship Jesus?

• Thread starter Thread starter YHWH_Christ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve pointed it out to you several times in the past.
Repeating incorrect information several times does not change the accuracy of the information.
If you quote John’s Gospel, just read it from the beginning.
No where does John’s Gospel refer to God as three Co-Eternal Co-Equal divine persons each consubstantial with each other, with one of the divine persons having a dual nature.
The OP asked if Mormons worship Elohim; Do they?
Is my comment #9 above not clear?

Because it is much easier to quote ECFs comments taken out of context or with a complete lack understanding of the background. Having to defend LDS teaching is very difficult to do on this forum, actually it’s pretty impossible with most of the posters here.

The OP asked if Mormons worship Elohim; Do they?
During the endowment session in the temple they make you watch a video. It’s really long, really boring, and they use the name “Elohim” when they refer to God. However, having been to sacrament meetings for years, no one talks about “Elohim”. They refer to God as “Heavenly Father” 99% of the time. If you asked a Mormon if they worship anyone, they’d say they worship Jesus Christ.

Mormonism is incredibly messy. Theologians correctly say that getting a solid answer from Mormons about theology is like nailing Jello on a wall.

The Bible specifically teaches that the Father and Son are not consubstantial with each other.

John 17:22 …so that they may be one, as we are one,
The cherry picking again. This in no way says what you think it says. Jesus is in prayer to God and during that prayer he, Jesus makes this comment:
20 “I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21. so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. 22. And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, 23, I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me.
When reading this in context of the two previous verses and the one after it changes everything. You can keep cherry picking verses, it probably works great with other Mormons, but it doesn’t work with informed Catholics, we will catch you out every time.

40.png
gazelam:
Is my comment #9 above not clear?
No, it is not. Do Mormons worship Elohim?
All I see is a simple question from the OP and I offered a simple answer. If you explain what the confusion is for you I’ll see if I can clear things up for you.

The cherry picking again.
Mormonism is based on cherry picking and taking verses vastly out of context. You can’t blame lifelong Mormons, it’s how they are trained and how they think. It doesn’t work with informed people of any religion, much less Catholics.

During the endowment session in the temple they make you watch a video. It’s really long, really boring, and they use the name “Elohim” when they refer to God. However, having been to sacrament meetings for years, no one talks about “Elohim”. They refer to God as “Heavenly Father” 99% of the time. If you asked a Mormon if they worship anyone, they’d say they worship Jesus Christ.
So Elohim is the Father in Mormonism. Thanks for clearing it up.
All I see is a simple question from the OP and I offered a simple answer. If you explain what the confusion is for you I’ll see if I can clear things up for you.
A simple answer would be yes or no followed by a brief explanation, but my question has been answered.

So Elohim is the Father in Mormonism. Thanks for clearing it up.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) gazelam:
Welcome. I was raised Catholic then converted to Mormonism, then when I found out how many historical and philosophical problems the Mormon church has, I resigned from their church. Sad, because the people are wonderful and the communities are great.

It seems Mormons want to take a verse talking about the Church and apply it to God, while they ignore the verses that actually talk about God.

Welcome. I was raised Catholic then converted to Mormonism, then when I found out how many historical and philosophical problems the Mormon church has, I resigned from their church. Sad, because the people are wonderful and the communities are great.
I was born and raised Catholic, but my best friends in high school were Mormon. When they told me the story of the Book of Mormon, I knew it was false and Joseph Smith was not a prophet. While we were best friends they would let their anti-Catholicism show every once in awhile. It is the foundation of Mormonism.

I was born and raised Catholic, but my best friends in high school were Mormon. When they told me the story of the Book of Mormon, I knew it was false and Joseph Smith was not a prophet. While we were best friends they would let their anti-Catholicism show every once in awhile. It is the foundation of Mormonism.
Lies are the foundation of Mormonism, sprinkled with Joey Smiths ego.

It isn’t. It’s just the truth. Like I said, I have huge respect for Mormons, just not the founder of their church.

Last edited:
No where does John’s Gospel refer to God as three Co-Eternal Co-Equal divine persons each consubstantial with each other, with one of the divine persons having a dual nature.
This is the big problem with Mormonism. They make blanket statements like this without any proof. It is like talking with a JW and they say “No where in the Bible is Jesus called God.” These blanket statements are ridiculous.
But to argue this take these proofs for the Trinity.
  1. There is only One God (Isaiah 43:10)
2.There are three Persons called God namely: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (John 1:1,14,18; Acts 5:1-5) And many other verses proving this.
  1. These three persons are not each other (John 16; John 17) The Son prays to the Father, the Father sends the Spirit, the Son sends the Spirit.
    There you have it. The Trinity and its three pillars found in Scripture.
God Bless

Last edited:
But to argue this take these proofs for the Trinity.
  1. There is only One God (Isaiah 43:10)
Actually, this verse says:

Before me no god was formed, and after me there shall be none.

This verse does not help make the Trinitarian case. For one, it speaks of a time before and after God. Trinitarians believe that the three Persons of the Trinity have always existed and always will.
2.There are three Persons called God namely: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (John 1:1,14,18; Acts 5:1-5) And many other verses proving this.
Agree.
  1. These three persons are not each other (John 16; John 17) The Son prays to the Father, the Father sends the Spirit, the Son sends the Spirit.
Agree.
There you have it. The Trinity and its three pillars found in Scripture.
In mentioning John 17, you neglected to mention verse 22, which states:

And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one,

Jesus here is praying for His disciples and prays that these disciples will be one in the same way that the Father ad the Son are one. The only oneness that the disciples can achieve with each other is that of unity and purpose, not sharing the same divine essence (or in other words they cannot become consubstantial with each other.) Regardless of how much oneness they achieve with each other in the cause of Christ they will remain physically separate and distinct from each other. Such is also the oneness relationship of the Father with the Son.
God Bless
You too!

Actually, this verse says:

Before me no god was formed, and after me there shall be none.

This verse does not help make the Trinitarian case. For one, it speaks of a time before and after God. Trinitarians believe that the three Persons of the Trinity have always existed and always will.
This verse very clearly shows only one God. Trinitarians do not believe that the three Persons are three beings, therefore no contradiction. This verse is very monotheistic. It is saying that only God is god. There aren’t any other gods. There is only the One God. This verse goes to show that there will be no gods after Him, for He is the only One, and there are no gods before Him, not showing that He exists in time but that there can be no god before Him, it doesn’t make sense. And if reading the context and the environment that God said this, one can assert that the Israelite’s were worshiping gods that they claimed were before Yahweh, hence why God proclaimed that there was no god before Him, He is the only One. So this verse very much so proves the Trinity because:
If the there is only One God, yet there are three persons called God and claiming to be God, for monotheism to be true and the three Persons to be true, the Trinity is required especially if these Persons are not each other but separate Persons. An emphasis on Persons not Being. There is not three beings that are God for that denies the first pillar which is Monotheism.

God bless!

Last edited:
In mentioning John 17, you neglected to mention verse 22, which states:

And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one,

Jesus here is praying for His disciples and prays that these disciples will be one in the same way that the Father ad the Son are one. The only oneness that the disciples can achieve with each other is that of unity and purpose, not sharing the same divine essence (or in other words they cannot become consubstantial with each other.) Regardless of how much oneness they achieve with each other in the cause of Christ they will remain physically separate and distinct from each other. Such is also the oneness relationship of the Father with the Son.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) SeekerOfTruth7:
Assuming that such is the relationship of the Son and the Father is a stretch. I think that Jesus is praying that Christians be unified as Him and His Father are unified, like you said, in purpose and will. But to assume that Jesus is speaking of nature is just that, an assumption. This verse does nothing to prove that Jesus isn’t God. It just speaks of will. But combined with the other verses we can see throughout Scripture goes to show that Jesus is united in Nature with the Father.

God Bless, again!

One last thing,
Latter day Saints believe in the two of the three pillars, as you showed. The only pillar you disagreed with, or at least did not indicate that you agreed with is the first pillar which is monotheism. Therefore, with this in mind, by your indication, Latter day Saints are Polythiests, Henothiest, or Monaltryist. But they are not Monotheist in the classical sense of the word.

God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back