Do you believe in evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The intelligent design movement usually argues that organisms are too complex to be the result of natural processes and therefore requires a builder who directly put the parts of organisms together and produced their kinds.
I’ve never seen that stated in Intelligent Design literature and I’ve read a lot of it.
What have you read?
Can you direct me to a reference that speaks of a builder directly putting parts of organisms together?
Maybe Michael Behe said it? Or Stephen Meyer?
Should be easy enough to find, right?

Can you direct me to a reference that speaks of a builder directly putting parts of organisms together?
Maybe Michael Behe said it? Or Stephen Meyer?
Should be easy enough to find, right?
They might not have used those words, but that is at the very least the implication of their arguments.

I doubt you consider the martyr’s of other religions to be compelling evidence of their truthfulness.
No, they also prove it.
The truth is not a benefit to them. They adhere to the truth, as they believe it, and then die.
That is anti-evolutionary. They ruin their fitness value for the sake of something greater than evolutionary goals.
Therefore, there is something more than evolution at work. The desire for truth will cause them to lose their lives, and thus frustrate evolutionary goals.

But if you want to understand your own being, then you have to try to discover how a blind, irrational, mindless process can create a value system based on truth and logical constructs.
Try to create one.
As we only have evidence of one species that does it as well as we do and we’ve only existed for the last 300,000 years of the 13,500,000,000 years of existence, I’d say your demand appears to be unreasonable. I can’t replicate in a lab what took a universe and 13.5 billion minus 300,000 years to produce.
Start with random entities moving randomly.
There is no random. Like infinity, it’s an abstraction that has no material basis.
There’s the fundamental forces, things move in accordance with those.
Then see what kind of order and purpose emerge from them.
Gravity seems to condense particle clouds into denser bodies, for starters.

Last edited:
They might not have used those words, but that is at the very least the implication of their arguments.
I’ll suggest that you’re putting a spin on it. ID says certain things. It’s best to just stay with what is actually claimed.

That is anti-evolutionary. They ruin their fitness value for the sake of something greater than evolutionary goals.
Evolution speaks to populations not individuals. Self-sacrifice is not against evolutionary goals, you’re just thinking about evolution in a very narrow way and then insisting everything confirm to that narrow view.

Evolution speaks to populations not individuals. Self-sacrifice is not against evolutionary goals, you’re just thinking about evolution in a very narrow way and then insisting everything confirm to that narrow view.
Especially for eusocial species where the “organism” is better identified as the entire colony rather than the individual, non-reproductive termite or ant.

Gravity seems to condense particle clouds into denser bodies, for starters.
Ok. There’s a start. Sand particles combine for sand-dunes. Snowflakes for snow-drifts. Hydrogen and oxygen for water molecules. Some things do happen from random combinations. But remember the target and how far you have to go with it - and all with no reason, direction or purpose.

I’ll suggest that you’re putting a spin on it. ID says certain things. It’s best to just stay with what is actually claimed.
If that is not the desired implication if their arguments, then i am sure you can explain it yourself.

I understand the supposed broad-view of evolution. It’s a “theory” which cannot be falsified.
But I’m not convinced by it at all. In fact, I think it is wrong.

Ok. There’s a start. Sand particles combine for sand-dunes. Snowflakes for snow-drifts. Hydrogen and oxygen for water molecules. Some things do happen from random combinations. But remember the target and how far you have to go with it - and all with no reason, direction or purpose.
Right. But I encourage you to remember the size of the universe.

If intelligent life is just a product of chance, then the universe is so large that we’re almost certainly not the only ones out there. The others are just beyond the observable horizon.

Take that star you look at tonight. There might every well be life more intelligent than us orbiting around it. We just see no proof of it because the light coming from that star and into your eye was emitted millions of years ago. You’re looking at the past, not the present.

Somewhere around 75% of Catholics believe in evolution - either godless, Blind Watchmaker or theistic.
I’m in the 25% who reject both.

So the consistent explanatory power of teleonomy and complex physical paradoxes (negative entropy) such as DNA are insufficient evidence of a metaphysical basis for teleology. Would you admit that it is at least some evidence that makes it more likely than not?

We can doubt anything, really. Radical doubt has no clear limits.

I’m curious if you’re just deeply suspicious of theists — skeptics seem to presume that religious believers have “more” cognitive bias than they do — and whether you’d be more amenable to an atheist panpsychist.

Last edited:
I find evolution to be supported often by radical skepticism (God is impossible) combined with absolute blind trust (fideism) in the power of evolution to create anything - even contradictory outcomes.

I find evolution to be supported often by radical skepticism (God is impossible) combined with absolute blind trust (fideism) in the power of evolution to create anything - even contradictory outcomes.
I really don’t think that’s a fair characterization. The overwhelming majority of atheists I know, including this atheist, do not believe in God simply because there is no demonstrable proof for God. I wouldn’t argue that God is impossible anymore than I would argue that Russell’s teapot is impossible. But I would argue that they seem to be unlikely.

What I have faith in is the scientific method. With the scientific method evolution is continually studied and tweaked to reflect the best current information.

Last edited:
If there’s no evolution at all, then we’ll all end up looking the same. Which means the whole BLM thing and the riots associated with it wouldn’t exist. Yay!

Sadly that’s not the case. But anyways, I don’t think evolution goes against creation. To me it’s merely the changes that happened after creation and it’s still controlled by God, otherwise all species would have died out by now, due to mathematical probability.

To me it’s merely the changes that happened after creation and it’s still controlled by God, otherwise all species would have died out by now, due to mathematical probability.
Yes, they never would have started in my view. Bacteria are quite happy without needing any evolutionary changes. The same now as always. Supposedly they needed to evolve to survive? They couldn’t find enough food and had to end up becoming human beings? I find it absurd.

I’d argue that everything bears with it a certain degree of characteristic uncertainty.

I think theists are just like everyone else, looking for a source of meaning for their lives.

Some find it in the Buddha, some find it in Jewish Yahweh, some find it in Christian Yahweh, some find it in Allah, some find it in Mary Baker Eddy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back