Do you eat meat on Friday?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jc413
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a catholic male and for years I ate fish on Friday’s during lent because that is what I was taught. Several years ago, I stopped this practice (although I still eat a lot of fish during lent because that’s what is served). I was always questioned when I did NOT eat meat on Friday so about a year ago I began doing some research and began turning the question back and asked those who questioned: “WHY” they ate fish. No one could offer much of an answer other than “because that is what I’m supposed to do as a good Catholic” Which I follwed with another “WHY”

Here is just a couple of points I found during my research and why I changed my opinions of WHY Catholics don’t eat red meat during lent
  • Because meat was a luxury item so by not eating red meat, catholics are “giving something up” Of course now fish is more expensive than red meat.
  • When this “rule” came to be, Catholics were the primary governing body in the towns and issued a salt tax. Without refrigeration, salt was the medium for keeping foods (fish) preserved. This meant more money for the governing body. The title of the book is “Salt A World History” by Mark Kurlansky.
There are many others but I’ll stop there. I understand that to many this is tradition and I don’t go up to strangers and ask them WHY as I respect if this falls into their beliefs. I just found it interesting that when I started turning the question back around, those who were questioning me had not thought about WHY there position was what it was.

I welcome any additional “truths” on the subject either one way or another.
 
I didn’t vote because I only abstain from meat on First Fridays
(try to anyways) and Fridays during Lent.
 
My husband is a very, very traditional catholic, he follows the Law to the letter. However, he is also frugal. Fish is much more expensive than, let’s say, ground beef or hot dogs. We don’t have good seafood very often, so I kind of look forward to Lent.
 
Commemorating the day of the Lord’s Passion is the reason that we abstain from warm-blooded animal products. An interesting article in the Catholic Encyclopedia may help explain it better.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01067a.htm

This article shows the biblical beginnings of fast and abstaining of foods. (Gen 16-17). And continues on to the present.

Another Catholic Encyclopedia mentions the universal Church designates as penitential days as all Fridays of the year that are not solemnities, as well as Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Each national conference of bishops, however, may adapt this universal law for particular regions. The US bishops in 1966 determined that abstinence would be obligatory only on Fridays of Lent, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. While strongly recommending that abstinence be observed on all Fridays of the year as the privileged and traditional way of commemorating the day of the Lord’s Passion, we can substitute other works of charity and devotion on Fridays outside of Lent.

It should be noted that the present canonical legislation presents the minimal requirements. Seeking counsel with a spiritual director and avoiding all scrupulosity, a Catholic will want to make a conscientious decision about a personal program of fast and abstinence that goes beyond the minimal requirements and takes account of health, age, etc.
 
Very Good Answer Veronica!

DMan said: “Because meat was a luxury item so by not eating red meat, catholics are “giving something up” Of course now fish is more expensive than red meat.”

True. But only a part of the truth. And the part that isn’t as important. While it was a luxury item, it is not because of its expense, but its difficulty. Hunting it down, cleaning it, etc was very time consuming, and not easy work. Cooking red meat is also very time consuming. By giving it up, you instead eat a simpler meal. Fish caught in the river was much simpler to throw on the fire. And, as has been pointed out, you keep the day Jesus dies as a bloodless day. The point being that His blood, his life, his death, was far more important to you than a hungry stomach or a juicy steak.

You use the extra time in prayer, contemplation, family time, contemplating the sufferings (which were so much worse than your own hungry, grumbling stomach yearning for a nice big steak) of Jesus (which puts the worldy materialistic view into better perspective), etc. While this small aspect of history does not apply to many today (in richer countries such as the US, Canada, UK that is), it is obvious that the many other reasons, that Veronica and I both pointed out most recently, far outweigh this one small part of this long-standing tradition.

I also find it worth pointing out that:
Giving up red meat does NOT=eating fish
That is a flawed argument. And cheese pizza, fish sticks, mac and cheese, tomato soup, grilled cheese and other such fast and easy Friday staples at every Catholic house I know of do not exactly rank up there very high in the time consuming or expensive categories.

I do not mean to sound like I am attacking your position DMan. I actually sympathize with you greatly. You bring up an interesting and, unfortunately, very sad fact. The truth of the matter is that the average Catholic (at least the many I’ve met across the country) are not familiar with the strong, rich symbolisms or meanings of the many traditions we are so blessed to have. Pre-Vatican II, they couldn’t understand what was going on. Post-Vatican II, no one cared. (Of course, I over-generalize. But, to my dismay, find as a generalization, it is quite accurate.) The churches didn’t teach it. The parents didn’t even know it to be able to pass it on. The reaction you received is all too common. They know the motions to go through, but not the reasons behind it. It leads many to become disallusioned with the teachings of the Church, and to not only abandon the traditions, but the Church altogether. I believe that without the understanding of traditions, it is very easy to fall into this trap. But as little grace it provides to just go through the motions without feeling like it, it still imparts grace. As long as we remain open to the Lord, always seeking to deepen our understanding and our relationship, he can work on us. So many Catholics don’t understand because they were never taught, and therefore just give up.

I commend you, DMan, that while you haven’t kept with that particular tradition, you are seeking out the truth, the meaning behind it all, and are still here, actively in community with other Catholics.

I would like to respectfully consider you pray about this particular topic and see if the Lord speaks to you. Remember, as so many have pointed out, in the US we are not required to abstain on regular Fridays, but to just do some act of penance/sacrifice/charity/etc. While you probably won’t “feel” like you are getting any grace or doing anything different, you might consider not eating meat just the few remaining Fridays in Lent. The Lord is known to work slowly, so I’m not expecting some Pauline blinding light conversion. You could offer up your suffering to a cause you are passionate about. For the sake of brevity, I will spare you the points I previously made about other reasons for keeping the Friday abstinence. 😃 As I said before, I find your desire to question and to seek out the truth noble and good and understand completely where you are coming from.
 
During Lent, I never eat red meat. After Lent I generally eat some type of seafood on Fridays, which is easy to do in Lousiana! Pass the crawfish!
But my spiritual ancestors, the Carthusians (I am founder of www.saintbruno.org) are vegetarians. It would be an interesting topic to discuss the origins of vegetarianism among some Catholic monastic orders and see what comes of the study.
 
Only during Lent. I take seriously in imitating Christ’s fourty days fasting in the desert successfully resisting temptation by lucifer.

Otherwise I like my steak well done.
 
Abstinance from meat is a very foreign concept to me, because I was not raised Catholic, and any kind of dietary restriction for religious reasons was considered unnecessary. I do not abstain from meat- I try to pray more or do some sort of penance on the Fridays outside of Lent, but I usually forget, because it’s such a foreign concept to me, and it isn’t talked about in the Church today. I have a hard enough time remembering to not eat meat on the Fridays during Lent and Ash Wednesday. I don’t think I’ve gone one Lent since I became Catholic (2 years ago) without messing up at least once.

Michael
 
Kevin Walker:
Only during Lent. I take seriously in imitating Christ’s fourty days fasting in the desert successfully resisting temptation by lucifer.

Otherwise I like my steak well done.
I need to rephrase that, I only abstain from meat during the Friday’s of Lent.
 
our family dosen’t eat meat on fridays this was new to me when our parish suggested it to me even though it isn’t mandatory anymore its still a good idea so for the last 6 months we have
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top