P
puppylove
Guest
I wasn’t aware that Catholics didn’t eat meat on Fridays with the exception of Lent. I was raised in post Vatatican II.
Eeek!If we as individuals start to decide on an individual &/or small group level what to believe about our faith and our to apply such issues then essentially we are nothing more than “Protestant Catholics.”
I think it’s too bad we think of saying a Rosary and going to Mass as a kind of penance or suffering……So in Lent I will abstain, but other Fridays of the year I’m doing something more pious. Yesterday I said an extra Rosary instead as a form of penance and also went to Mass.
LOL, anonymous! Don’t be so hard on yourself! Guess what I ate yesterday? Pepperoni pizza.Sometimes the Lord has to hit me on the head with a hammer! I only just felt the blow.
I received NO SATISFACTION from that meal…thanks be to God. It’s a shame that it took so long for me to figure it out.
I will do better next week.![]()
Well… you certainly took a “hard line” with me about it!!I don’t take a really hard line with this
My sentiments exactly. That’s why I said I don’t “take a hard line” with refraining from meat, since that’s the letter of the law, not the spirit of the law. The spirit of the law is to remember Our Lord’s suffering on Friday and to make it a day of penance, and that is what I try to do.There are other forms of penance that can be done to grow closer to our Lord. Besides is giving up meat a sacrafice when you can go out for seafood.
Delicious looking steak! Maybe barbeque night could be Saturday.Do I eat meat on Friday? Why not, it’s barbeque night, baby!
http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~milun/steak.before.gif
Mmmm…MMM!
It is an act of charity to eat what is put in front of you.We just decide what is most prudent whatever the situation is (for example, we do not abstain and don’t even mention it to our Baptist and rather anti-Catholic side of the family. Just isn’t worth the battle.) But I finally said to my Catholic MIL “We don’t usually eat meat on Friday.” She said, “oh!” kind of surprised, but now just accepts it as part of our overall weirdness.