K
ktm
Guest
A priest once told me to go to an extra mass as a penance, so I see no problem with it. We are to perform acts of penance and piety. I think what I am doing/did was quite acceptable and more spiritually fulfilling than not eating a ham sandwich for lunch, as I did today.I think it’s too bad we think of saying a Rosary and going to Mass as a kind of penance or suffering…
Kieron
Saying prayers is the most common form of penance handed out in confession, isn’t it?
Also of interest from Jimmy Akin’s blog:
jimmyakin.org/2004/07/since_tomorrow_.html
The norms–the part of the document that would create a legal obligation if there was one–thus fails to do so. As a result, there is no obligation in the United States to practice penance on Friday, but Friday remains a day of penance which the bishops have urged all to do penance and, in particular, recommended the continued practice of abstience.