Do you follow Church Teaching?

• Thread starter Thread starter LariamTox
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LariamTox

I’m wondering how many of you fully submit to all church teachings? Examples include but not limited to: abortion, contraception, sacraments, etc.

I’m a convert and know that I still have a lot to learn. I try to stay faithful to the teachings I’m aware of. And I’m trying to learn more so that I can become obedient in all things.

I give it my best shot. The hardest thing is to always represent the Church and especially Church teachings to others. When people start joking about the Bible, or announce that they are planning to have no more children, I often choke: I don’t join in their fun or give verbal approval to their plans, but it’s hard to know how best to represent the teachings. The ideal thing is to live by example; people aren’t really convinced by discussion, generally. I converted to Christianity because I sensed the truth in humbling oneself before God. Nobody ever made an argument that convinced me of anything. Now that I’ve converted, I’ve had the calm to examine the Church teachings and they all are perfect. They wouldn’t have seemed so previously.

I try to follow all Church teachings I know of. Although I grew up catholic I never thought I’d need the Chruch.
The few Church teachings I knew seemed old fashioned in a world and society so different in these days.
But not too long ago I realized how little I actually knew and started reading up on it. The more I learn the more
I am convinced that the Church teachings are still as valid as they were 2000 years ago and that the world and society
today are just wrong. I continue to learn and am forever grateful that the Lord opened my eyes.
Although sometimes it does make me sad that I wasted so much time and I wish I’d known all this a long time ago. But better late than never 😃

PS: What does “6 white pills taken for malaria prevention =
A lifetime of problems…” exactly refer to?

Are you asking if I believe and hold to all the Catholic Church teaches? The answer is yes. Are you asking do I obey perfectly, completely and always what the Catholic Church, divinely appointed interpreter of what Christ demands of us? The answer is none of your business, there is a ban on asking personal information. I do my confessing in the sacrament, not on the forums.

True to Rome here! Am I without faults no but that is the journey that lies ahead practicing imitating Christ. I spend a lot of time in confession though…

I do try. I haven’t always, and I know I still lapse, but I don’t deliberately stray from Church teaching.

Jaye

Yes I try. But it is not easy with popular culture, relativism, subjective truths and political correctness directing human actions in and out of the Church. Therefore, not everything thought or done in Church is in line with Church Teaching. One has to really think what is right and what is true, before one can follow Church Teaching faithfully.

“not small is the authority … of the whole Church” (St Augustine)

Psalm 113:2

tru_dvotion said:
Yes I try. But it is not easy with popular culture, relativism, subjective truths and political correctness directing human actions in and out of the Church. Therefore, not everything thought or done in Church is in line with Church Teaching. One has to really think what is right and what is true, before one can follow Church Teaching faithfully.

I find it’s also hard if you have a favorite sin that the church condemns. It’s very easy to find excuses to justify your behavior.

40.png
YAQUBOS:
Peace be with you!

What do you mean when you say “THE Church”?

In Love,
Yaqubos†

theophilus_agape@hotmail.com
We are referring to the Catholic Church.

Yes, I try to follow the teachings of the Catholic church. When you’ve found the truth, you have to try to follow it. Sometimes I fail but I if I do I don’t make excuses anymore because I know that I’ve failed the truth and thus God Himself.

Put it this way: I believe EVERYTHING that the Church teaches because the Church embodies the truth which is not a something, but a somebody – Jesus, the Christ. Now, do I lapse in implementing the teachings? In the theoretical, general sense I assent fully, in the practical, personal sense I lapse – which is why I believe in the Sacrament of Confession. This glorious Sacrament which He gave to His Church is there for us to partake of when we lapse, and yes we all do, and it would be prideful to think that we don’t.
So once again, I wholeheartedly believe in the teachings of the Church. If I didn’t, pray tell, where oh where oh where would I go to discover Truth? There’s a certain assuredness which comes with knowing the the Church embodies Truth, so even when I stumble on the road to holiness which embracing the Truth effects, I believe thoroughly in the Church’s prescription for forgiveness.

Obedience to Church Teaching is very freeing, knowing that what the Church teaches is the Truth, guaranteed by God, allowing us not to worry or wondering if we are missing something.

We can follow in faith like a little child assured that the Church knows what it is doing (in its teachings) in God’s eyes.

Do I “believe” in Church teaching?

Absolutley…down to a “T”…aint got patience or tolerance for those who profess to be “faithful Catholics” but dont.

Do I “follow” Church teaching?..

Absolutley…right down to a “T”

…except when I Sin. 😉

Peace!
40.png
RNRobert:
We are referring to the Catholic Church.
What if someone is following the teachings of the Orthodox Church? Is he not following the teachings of THE Church of Christ?

In Love,
Yaqubos†

40.png
Chris101:
PS: What does “6 white pills taken for malaria prevention =
A lifetime of problems…” exactly refer to?
I went overseas to a malaria infested area and took a medication called lariam. One pill is taken each week for the duration of your stay. It had extremely adverse reaction to the medication. I was on sick leave for four and a half months.(Lariam has a half life of about 1 month compared to say motrin which is about 6 to 8 hours.) Even though this was over 2 years ago, I still have some problems from it. If your really intrested, take a look here:

fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2003/Lariam_PI.pdf
Look under adverse effects.

or here:
lariaminfo.org/

40.png
YAQUBOS:
What if someone is following the teachings of the Orthodox Church? Is he not following the teachings of THE Church of Christ?QUOTE]

Yes and no at the same time. Yes, the Orthodox Church has the same Sacraments. But unfortunately the Orthodox Church is not part of the “one church”. It was St Peter who received the “key” from Jesus and not one of the other apostles. So the Church remains as is: in Rome and unified under the successor of St Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back