E
EphelDuath
Guest
If you don’t, why do you prefer the original three sets?
Okay, I’ll be the first curmudgeonIf you don’t, why do you prefer the original three sets?
I like the Luminous Mysteries. I often had wondered why Christ’s public ministry was not there so for me the Rosary with the Luminous Mysteries is finally complete.Okay, I’ll be the first curmudgeon. No and for the two most frequently cited reasons. First, the Rosary has traditionally been considered Our Lady’s Psalter and the Luminous Mysteries break that up. Second, because I think that the last thing we needed at that time in the Church’s history was more change on top of change, change, change, especially to something so fundamental in the Church’s devotional life. If it isn’t broken, don’t try to fix it and all that.
There are 153 Hail Marys in the “traditional rosary.”I do. I can see why some don’t though. It does sort of deep-six the whole 150 Psalms/150 Haily Marys correlation that made it special, but I really like the Luminous Mysteries, so I’m not too bothered by the break in continuity.
could you please explain this for me, i’m a little slow…the Rosary has traditionally been considered Our Lady’s Psalter and the Luminous Mysteries break that up.
I wouldn’t say that the LMs “break up the rosary” per se. But the 150 Hail Marys on the 15 decades have been viewed for centuries as a sort of “mini-psalter”, to correspond with the 150 Psalms. Hence the Rosary as Our Lady’s Psalter. I am perfectly well aware that this designation has only been around for perhaps six hundred years (maybe longer, but at least that long.) It is just my view that one of the things that the Church has suffered from in the last forty years is change itself. Some changes can be good, others have undoubtedly been bad, but I don’t think that sufficient notice has been taken to the fact that change itself is prejudicial to the common good. As St. John Chrysostom wrote:could you please explain this for me, i’m a little slow…
particularly, how do they break up the rosary by adding more of Christ’s life to it?
I wouldn’t say that the LMs “break up the rosary” per se. But the 150 Hail Marys on the 15 decades have been viewed for centuries as a sort of “mini-psalter”, to correspond with the 150 Psalms. Hence the Rosary as Our Lady’s Psalter. I am perfectly well aware that this designation has only been around for perhaps six hundred years (maybe longer, but at least that long.) It is just my view that one of the things that the Church has suffered from in the last forty years is change itself. Some changes can be good, others have undoubtedly been bad, but I don’t think that sufficient notice has been taken to the fact that change itself is prejudicial to the common good. As St. John Chrysostom wrote:
For nothing so much disturbs the mind, though it be done for some beneficial purpose, as to innovate and introduce strange things, and most of all when this is done in matters relating to divine worship and the glory of God. (Homilies on the First Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, hom.7, v.14; my emphasis.)
And here’s St. Thomas:
[H]uman law is rightly changed, in so far as such change is conducive to the common weal. But, to a certain extent, the mere change of law is of itself prejudicial to the common good: because custom avails much for the observance of laws, seeing that what is done contrary to general custom, even in slight matters, is looked upon as grave. (Summa Theologiae Ia Iiae q.97 a.2; my emphasis.)
Praying the Rosary is, and has always been, an act of personal piety, not part of the divine worship of the universal Church. I really do not understand how anyone can make the claim that the Rosary itself has been changed. The Luminous Mysteries were offered to the faithful as an option, an additional option if one chooses to meditate upon them. It was not a change in law. There are a great many people who are very grateful for this option and find it beneficial in their prayer life. I don’t see how the two quotes you used above have anything to do with the topic at hand.
thanks for the answer.I wouldn’t say that the LMs “break up the rosary” per se. But the 150 Hail Marys on the 15 decades have been viewed for centuries as a sort of “mini-psalter”, to correspond with the 150 Psalms. Hence the Rosary as Our Lady’s Psalter. I am perfectly well aware that this designation has only been around for perhaps six hundred years (maybe longer, but at least that long.) It is just my view that one of the things that the Church has suffered from in the last forty years is change itself. Some changes can be good, others have undoubtedly been bad, but I don’t think that sufficient notice has been taken to the fact that change itself is prejudicial to the common good. As St. John Chrysostom wrote:
For nothing so much disturbs the mind, though it be done for some beneficial purpose, as to innovate and introduce strange things, and most of all when this is done in matters relating to divine worship and the glory of God. (Homilies on the First Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, hom.7, v.14; my emphasis.)
And here’s St. Thomas:
[H]uman law is rightly changed, in so far as such change is conducive to the common weal. But, to a certain extent, the mere change of law is of itself prejudicial to the common good: because custom avails much for the observance of laws, seeing that what is done contrary to general custom, even in slight matters, is looked upon as grave. (Summa Theologiae Ia Iiae q.97 a.2; my emphasis.)
I’ve written a bit of an article on this matter of change, with citations from the Fathers, Doctors, and Popes, here if you’re interested.
I just don’t think that the Church needed yet one more major change at that time. It literally leaves the faithful wondering, “Is nothing stable?”
Me tooI like the Luminous Mysteries. I often had wondered why Christ’s public ministry was not there so for me the Rosary with the Luminous Mysteries is finally complete.